PDA

View Full Version : Abalone, Clams & Oysters!

SoulFish
05-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Went out with Dean Donaldson today to get some shellfish today! Had a awesome time. Here's his report for us:

Picked up Steven Piazza in Pt. Richmond at 6am, and proceeded to Reef Campground, to try again for the mighty abalone. We encountered an ocean that could be heard much farther than could be seen through the thick fog. There were several guys coming back up the trail, saying it was too rough, too dangerous, out there. Well, we had just drove several hours to get there, and was not going to be turned around without trying. Well, he was right, it was rough, but we went in anyway. After getting the crap kicked out of us for a while, Steve finds one, then I find one, and Steve another. It was a battle to stay in one place, and finally we decide we have had enough time in the washing machine. We settle for what we have, but I am not through killing yet.

We fly down to bodega, where we proceed to start whacking the manila and littleneck clams, for our limit of 100. Covered alot of ground, but the flats were good to us. It is still early so we stop in at Will's fishing, and get the hot tip. We detour thorugh Tomales, down the bay, and grab a couple dozen tasty oysters from the local bay farmer. We take the scenic route through Pt reyes station, Olema, fairfax, back to 101. We still only burned 5 gallons in the mighty metro. Real fun day on the north sea.

TSL
05-18-2006, 04:13 PM
good job guys
the only thing i can bxtch about is the 5 gallons of fuel
i burned more than that just going to work today

TSL

AzSprig
05-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Sounds like you guys are living the dream !

Fat_Freddy
05-19-2006, 06:55 AM
We fly down to bodega, where we proceed to start whacking the manila and littleneck clams, for our limit of 100. Covered alot of ground, but the flats were good to us.

Where on the flats do you get the Littlenecks and Manillas? I haven't had much luck for clams at Bodega. The mud flats are too treacherous for me. I sunk in once past my knees and almost couldn't get out.

The only clams I have seen there are the big Horse clams and you have to excavate for those.

SoulFish
05-19-2006, 11:04 AM
The area was just off the road, and west of the bodega lab marine preserve.

ocean_314
05-21-2006, 01:21 PM
It was a shame it was a rough ocean for you. I went diving at a spot around FT Bragg on Wednesday. It was pretty calm, I spearfish first and get my abs last. I got one 10lb lingcod, one greenling, 5 barred surfperch and 2 black and yellow rockfish. Then i got my abs 2 83/4 and 1 8 1/2 inch.
I was in the water for three hours, it was a really godd dive. And this is public access.

CaptSalmon
05-22-2006, 04:46 PM
:) You went through a lot to get a few abs. How would you like to trade some good, worm free abalone shells, for some of my "killer" salmon spinners? I've used them in AK and really killed the salmon on them. I use the ab shells to make wobblers and spinner blades. A friend of mine that I fish in Lake Michiigan with tried on of my "killer abalone spoons" and had pretty good luck. He put the lure down at 0800 and had a king on at 0802! Theylanded the fish and put back down at the same depth, and WHAM, they got another one. They must have put down the lure right in the middle of a school of salmon. I'm really anxious to see how they work in AK.
You must have been diving around Fort Brag. A good friend of mine that lives in Santa Cruz, my old home town, used to dive the New Yezrs Island area but quit because of the danger of white sharks. Contact me at CaptSalmon@aol.com if youare willing to trade or make a deal.

ocean_314
05-23-2006, 05:49 AM
not really i spent but 15 minutes spearfishing. i like to swima nd jsut be in the water. When its calm i will stay in as long as i can.