PDA

View Full Version : Tomales Bay

Redwine
05-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Thinking about heading out to Tomales this weekend to hunt down some butts and drop a crab pot.
Has anybody been out there lately??

Thanks~

TSL
05-12-2006, 10:11 PM
we are all hoping you do well
;)
it is about time for them to show in numbers

TSL

Redwine
05-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Hey TSL,

Sunday night I'll post how the trip went.

Redwine~

Uncle_Sam
05-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Last summer I got lost in the fog in Tomales Bay. It took me about 20 nervous minutes to find the boat launch after I left Hog Island. Now I have a gps.

Redwine
05-13-2006, 07:26 AM
Uncle Sam,

I know what you mean. Last year I made the mistake, in the fog, of cutting around the westside (oceanside) of Hog Island while heading back to the ramp, and almost got stuck in the shallow ell grass there!

R......

Fish_R_Us
05-15-2006, 08:10 AM
We use to go out the mouth and get abs out at Bird Rock. Pretty hairy ride even in a Achilles Inflable craft. Visability was always about 2-3 feet so you you kick down into the bubbles and find a shelf when you are down there. We don't dive there because we found out that are a migratory Great White area and it wasn't worth it for the 7-8" abs that resided there.

nogimmies
05-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Redwine,
Any action at Tomales on the Halibut yet.
I haven't been over there yet this year but I know it should be any day now.
Last year I fished there on the 20th of May and caught em.
Remember to try catching "Live bait" if you go. It sure seems to help for me anyways. Shiners work best but Jacksmelt 4-6" also knock em
I'm planning a trip for this Friday 5-19-06 either to Tomales if it is rough outside or headin gstraight to Bodega and trying for Salmon.
Let me know what your plans are and maybe we can hook up.
nogommies

Uncle_Sam
05-15-2006, 09:07 AM
Is the great white migration into the Bodega-Tomales area seasonal? If so, what season? Why are great white sharks a fully protected species? A lot of my friends have expressed reluctance to go fishing in that area because of the great whites. Isn't the real danger the sand bar? I have read about 14 people getting killed in one year on the sand bar but I have never heard of anyone getting killed by a great white.

Does anyone fish the esteros? I have a 14 foot Klamath and have been advised by more than one person that on a nice day I should try fishing the esteros but to stay east of a line from Tomales Point to Bodega Head unless it is dead flat calm. Any comments?

Redwine
05-15-2006, 09:29 AM
Hey Eric,

Yesterday my buddy and I took my 18' Hydra Sport out of Nic's Cove. We launched at 11am, went around the back side of Hog and headed towards Lawson. Just past Hog Island between the two tall channel buoys there two boats were drifting. We went about another mile and dropped or crab pots, then returned to the two boats. Within 15 minutes we hooked two Halibuts that were undersized, and tossed them back in.

The rest of the four hours were spent hooking and releasing a reallly ugly bottom deweller that looked like a shovel nose type shark.

Last, but not least, ALL of the Dungies were under sizes so back they went.

Whats that old saying "It's not the fish, it's the fishing"?

None the less, it was a beautiful day out there, and the wind didn't kick up much.

Question, when heading out of the mouth of Tomales to the ocean is the left side of the entrance the best bet to use?

Redwine~

fishguts
05-15-2006, 09:40 AM
That area off Dilon beach is part of the Great White Shark Triangle that extends out to the Farrallons and south past Monterey. They are out there breeding and hunting sea lions, but you are more likely to get killed trying to motor out to the Ocean and back into Tomales.
But I wouldn't dive there.

nogimmies
05-15-2006, 09:46 AM
Read a report Back in the late 70's from as far back as the 30's from my old neighbor who is a biologist from DFG. That is about the time I first started fishing Tomales bay. In the report there were more attacks by great whites supposedly from Pt.Reyes to Bodega than anywhere on the west coast . That has always stood clear in my mind after reading it.

We fished it fairly regularly back then He( THE BIOLOGIST from DfG/Neighbor) had a small Fiberglass red and white boat with a 40 merc and I had a 14' Klamath with an old unreliable 15 evinrude from the mid 50's.Always told myself I would get rid of that motor. Finally did when I was in Alaska-- Wehwww. He also caught one of the largest Halibut I had seen at the time 38lber .

Also there was a incident about the Largest boat to have been attacked there. If my memory serves me it was fairly large commercial vessel. A 28-30 footer and I believe it was a double end Monterey.
They Had found a tooth in some planking. and the crew was gone.
I remember reading this a few years after Jaws came out and thought that this area would have been good for a movie with all the fog, tides, sea lions, and nostalgia.
Tomales pt. had the highest incidence in this report.
One reason I never dive there.
Some may differ with me but I don't have any scares or bite marks.
More power to ya if you do dive there. Remember that fish like to move around pts and that is one of the most decernable spots even from a space web shot.
I'll stick to inside my boat around that area thank you.
No I am not Peter Benchly
nogimmies

nogimmies
05-15-2006, 09:56 AM
Redwine,
Jeff did you use live bait or dead stuff???
Also Stay to the left when heading out of tomales to the big blue .
Hug the shoreline and keep the power to it. Can get bumpy at the mouth but your size boat should be ok.
Last year that C-Dory flipped there with the twin motors and one fellow drowned.Kinda ticked me off cause he was fishing right next to us.
I was launched at Nicks and they headed back thru the mouth . That day it was nasty and that is why I left---one hell of a nothwest wind.
From my other post::::
I remember that DFG biologist--Larry Week for DFG
I believe he still works there but if time serves me he should be ready to retire soon.
I wonder if he still has that info about the shark attacks?????

chgojoe
05-15-2006, 12:42 PM
Coming up in July I will be staying in Marshall right on the water. There is somedeep water aound where I will be. I dont have a boat. I understand that Salmon go down the bay as do Halibut. Seing that I will be fishing off of a private dock in deep water what bait and rigs should I use. Thank you very much.

Redwine
05-15-2006, 01:29 PM
I've never heard of salmon coming into Tomales Bay before???

Where you're going to be staying is in the very back end of the bay. I would ask some of the locals there what they fish for and the type of rigs the use.

Good Luck!

nogimmies
05-15-2006, 01:30 PM
Boy thats a crap shoot--
For salmon inside tomales???? Not impossible but I always heard they came thru enroute to going up some of the creeks at the upper end.
If I were going to do as you are I would spend some time and catch some of those herring or anchovies that pass in schools that time of year inside the bay and use them under a large float similar to down around Pacifica and hope for the best ,Otherwise I'd fish for rays or sharks or a passing halibut using cut bait on the bottom.
Hope this helps
nogimmies
go whack em

I also have found a web site about that may have that research I was referring to earlier I believe the author was Collieraccording to the web site SRC www.sharkresearchcommittee.com or google it up

Redwine
05-15-2006, 01:31 PM
I made a mistake, as Marshall is about 2/3 of the way back into the bay...

nogimmies
05-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Jeff,
Have there been any improvements made to the launch at Nicks or is it still iffy on a low tide???
I would like to find some body or the Marin County public NON works
to get there on a minus tide and drop a front end loader in there and scoop out some of that sediment by the west ramp and the east ramp.
I t wouldn't take much especially at Low tide.
Hell we pay 5.00 for nothing as far as improvements for the past 25 years that I have been going there.
Oh there's a porta ****ter and a trash dumpster.
The Clincher is its even patrolled by the Marin Sheriff--Must be a Lunch Stop-- A donut stand would bring more $$$$$
It used to be free-- But the good old-- sasa frsasda sonss of a frugjn**3%%43
dissolved that 12-15 years ago.
Now that old Iron soldier sits there in amuzment awaiting a handout from some poor unlucky deep drafted vessel that is bound to get stuck.
So much for progress in the 21st.
I'll quite rambling since this is a Report Page
A little improvement/Maintenance would help.
Any comments by Tomales Anglers?????

Redwine
05-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Eric,

Nada, nope, zilch, nothing has been done!!!

It's still a challenge to launch or retrieve at low tide.

Jeff

TSL
05-15-2006, 01:53 PM
i bent a prop at low tide there a few years back with the seaswirl

TSL

Redwine
05-15-2006, 01:58 PM
TSL,

I've sandbalsted the bottom of my motor there also.

Jeff

nogimmies
05-15-2006, 03:02 PM
You know 30-40 lbs of high explosives would probably do the trick.
That would clear that mud/sand bar and also be a bit entertaining!!!!!
Or as they said in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid when the rail car exploded
" THink ya used enough explosives there Butch. ;D :P >:( :'( :o"

Ushgambala
05-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Actually the silver salmon migrate up tomales and into papermill creek which goes up through lagunitas. Pretty rare though.

I have been waiting patiently for the halibut in tomales to come. Seems like it is laggin. Im going out thursday to try in the 14 ft. My friend was also there near the mouth the day the guy died. The mouth of Tomales is nothing to mess with by any means! And I believe the most attacks in the world (Ab Divers) by great whites happened right around tomales. :o

I've never heard of salmon coming into Tomales Bay before???

Where you're going to be staying is in the very back end of the bay. I would ask some of the locals there what they fish for and the type of rigs the use.

Good Luck!

65whaler
05-16-2006, 12:39 PM
salmon: yes, there is a migration through the bay to papermill creek. there is a pretty good fishery/hatchery program in place that is bringing the counts back to health slowly but surely. my dad used to catch the occasional salmon prior to '82 on the bar ... along with the striped bass that were common on tomales bay before the '82 storm burried the pile worm and ghost shrimp wetlands at the base of the bay. i even saw an osprey eating a salmon in a tree near our house a couple years ago. :o that said, i haven't heard of anyone catching one in recent years.

shallow nicks: the shallows of tomales are a problem up and down the bay. the storms of '82 and a bit in '97 brought landslides and silt that shallowed most of the lower bay by several feet - even more as you get further down [the inverness yatch club and the boatel suffer this fate as well]. problem is that dredging doesn't last. the strong tidal current quickly resilts any uneveness [notice with your depth finder how perfectly flat most of the bay is]. *

sharks v mouth: yes, whites love tomales point and so do spear divers - hence the occasional misshap. i agree that the bar is more lethal than sharks - at least i'm more afraid of the bar than sharks.

nogimmies
05-16-2006, 01:23 PM
I remember a Warden from DFG named Rich Borba. Left or retired from DFG and started a small marine business in Napa in the early 80's.
Actually I bought my first Aluminum boat from him-14'Klamath
He had told me about the striper fishery inside Tomales and said it was pretty substantial. Also it used to Be that you could fish for Salmon ALL YEAR south of Hog Island.
Well all that has changed and especially the striper fishery.
I also have seen sturgeon jump up near Marshal along the main channel.
That was a surprise when I saw it . But that two was some years back.
Neat Place --Tomales Bay --Well worth a trip.
Last year someone put a post in about making a shiner perch trap.
I would be interested in making some since catchng the little Bas___rds
can be frustrating at times.
Again best halibut bait I have found--Live Shiners

Redwine
05-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Eric,

I knew Rich Borba. He and his wife Frannie moved to Las Vegas ten years ago. I heard he died recently. What a great guy and game warden!

He use to tell me about Tomales also.

Redwine~

nogimmies
05-16-2006, 01:48 PM
jeff,
Sorry to hear that about Rich B.
Nice guy and also a good mechanic. Man he had some stories----
Good luck to ya up North
Go Whack Em
nogimmies

Redwine
05-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Hey Nogimmies,

Where is the best place to launch if you want to fish Cordell Banks?

Thanks,
Redwine

Redwine
05-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Eric,

Rich was also a Marin County Sheriff's Deputy

Ushgambala
05-16-2006, 03:51 PM
Yeah my dad grew up in Lagunitas right on corona road , would cut school to fish the creek and up to the spillway .. He was good friends with a guy named Andy Giddings , who's brother Al Giddings Jr. was a huge pioneer/diver in Great White research by the Farrolones.. his dad Al Sr. was a game warden or ranger for years back in the late 60's + 70's in Marin co.

I was talking to a guy at bodega shop in petaluma about the dino's and he said they saw a 12 ft or so roll like 20 ft from his 11 ft boat! he said it was the size of a telephone poll! :o

Im going back out on Thursday.. there is a minus tide right around 10 am so im sure ill have fun launching at Nicks!.. cant wait for the hali's to come back!. 8-)

Redwine
05-16-2006, 04:14 PM
Ushgambala,

Let us know how it went!

I hooked two under sized butts while drifting on Sunday. Picked up both between the two channel markers N/W of Hog Island. Was using a white bucktail with a white lead head, just bouncing off the bottom on the incoming tide.

Good luck!
Redwine

nogimmies
05-17-2006, 08:42 AM
I tried jigs in all color combos over there in the same lo-cal. Never have got em on the artificials but have had friends in my boat catch them.
White, Yellow, seem to work the best from the reports Ive heard.

For Cordell I'd launch at Westside or for me "No LUCK Doran" :(..
Never have caught a thing when I've launched from Doran. Can't explain that one either. Bad Karma or something.
Westside has all the good stuff handy like ****ters, Cleaning station,Boat wash down area, Camping- course camping is extra all for 5 bucks.
Is Cordell open to fishing or is it still closed off with that 120 ' crap ??? :-/
Long ride for a ticket if you know what I mean.
Looking forward to Friday.
Hope to Whack em
nogimmies

basil
05-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Hey Nogimmies,

Where is the best place to launch if you want to fish Cordell Banks?

Thanks,
Redwine

Bodega Bay is the closest launch and the best launches in the area.

triggerfish
05-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Cordell is closed to bottomfishing!!! You can squid fish. Or possablly troll for salmon.or tuna.

aintscared
05-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Cordell is closed to bottomfishing!!! *You can squid fish. Or possablly troll for salmon.or tuna.
WHICH TOTALLY SUCKS!!!! >:( *HOW DO YOU FIGURE THEY CAN CALL UN- UNDER WATER ( NON-ISLAND ) STRUCTURE A MARINE SANCTUARY ?? NEXT THING U KNOW THE BOTTOM OF EVERY UNDER WATER HABITAT FOR FISH WELL BECOME A MARINE SANCTUAY, THE BAY, THE DELTA, THE BOTTOM OF A MAN MADE RESIVIOR, THEN YOUR OWN PRIVATE PONDS ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY.... DOESN'T THE OCEAN BELONG TO EVERYONE.... OR DOES THIS MEAN THERE WELL SOON BE A GOVERNMENT SALE ON QUAD PLOTS OF THE OCEAN FLOOR NEXT ??? *:- AND IF SO, WELL IT INCLUDE THE WATER RIGHTS AND OTHER MINERAL RIGHTS ??? * :P * *ANOTHER STEP IN THE WAY OF WORLD DOMINATION, FOR THE OPPONENT..... * WE AS ANGLERS SHOULD ALL FIGHT FOR THE RE- OPENING OF THE CORDELL BANKS TO ROCK FISHING, BECAUSE THE NEXT THING YOU'LL SEE IS THE LOWERING OF INLAND SPECIES DUE TO OVER FISHING... AND THEN WHERE DO YOU GO ??? * * *:o * I KNOW ITS *FRIGHTNING,BUT I'M * * * * * * AINTSCARED

ARE YOU *???? * MAYBE ?? *I KNOW IM CONSERNED OVER THIS MATTER

aintscared
05-17-2006, 08:36 PM
GUESS THAT REALLY BELONGS IN THE "STRICTLY FISHING ISSUES" !!! ;)

Redwine
05-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Aintscared,

I think we all feel pretty much the same way as you do!

Redwine

nogimmies
05-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Kind of reminds me of that old Western where Clint Eastwood says
"When you hang a Man --you look at him".
Well we've--- ALL-- BEEN--- HUNG!!!! as fishermen and nobodys looking our way................. >:(

On a quieter note---Boats loaded,gear stashed,a hopin for a halibut,
then go home and get smashed!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Hope to do some" Whacken "on the boat tomorrow.
Tomales here I come ;D
nogimmies

basil
05-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Cordell is closed to bottomfishing!!! You can squid fish. Or possablly troll for salmon.or tuna.
WHICH TOTALLY SUCKS!!!! >:( HOW DO YOU FIGURE THEY CAN CALL UN- UNDER WATER ( NON-ISLAND ) STRUCTURE A MARINE SANCTUARY ?? NEXT THING U KNOW THE BOTTOM OF EVERY UNDER WATER HABITAT FOR FISH WELL BECOME A MARINE SANCTUAY,

Your shooting from the hip there. It's not so much that Cordell is a sanctuary as it is 120 feet deep in the shallow spots. Now, the last I looked you can't fish in water that deep for rockfish. So, you can fish but not for rockfish. If you can freedive 120 feet you can even get some abalone! Or be a meal for a shark!

I suspect that he main reason the rockfishing depth is where it is in our end of the Coast is because they don't want us fishing off of Cordell.

nogimmies
05-22-2006, 09:23 AM
YOu got that right.....