PDA

View Full Version : Bobber stopper fail!

fishingfrieda
06-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Went shad fishing upper sunrise area last eve. around 6:30 pm. First time using a weighted bobber and bobber stopper. I bought the bobber stopper that has the green string tied onto the black tube. It comes with beads that as far as I know are just for testing your eye sight when they fall on the rocks. I did read the directions, and I think I did it right but not sure because it only worked for a short time. I put the bobber on the line, then a bead, then the string and made the knot. It stopped working at the worst possible time when the river came alive with fish surfacing all along the river, fail!!! By this time it was getting to dark to re tie. So does anyone have advice regarding bobber stoppers? Which is the best to buy or make yourself? Can I just use a small split shot on the line below the bobber to make it stay?

49erbassman
06-01-2013, 10:27 AM
I prefer clip on bobbers for fast current. I also prefer the small plastic stoppers vs the string. I have used them and they worked fine but you really have to cinch the knot on them.

My understanding with shad is that you want a pretty consistent drift depth and not sure how well you can do that with a slip bobber. But hey I'm a shad rookie :)

Fish on!

BIG_ONE
06-01-2013, 10:27 AM
I normally use the bobber with the clip on each end...double loop your line on those clip and it's like putting duct tape on the bobber to your line.

fishingfrieda
06-01-2013, 10:38 AM
I like the bobbers with the clips on the end too, but I needed a weighted bobber.

Bigg A
06-01-2013, 10:46 AM
It sounds like you put it on backwards. It should be string...bead....bobber...swivel...leader line....jig

fishingfrieda
06-01-2013, 10:48 AM
It sounds like you put it on backwards. It should be string...bead....bobber...swivel...leader line.

So the bobber stopper is just used to keep the bobber from moving up the line, and the swivel, snap keeps it from moving down? Sheesh, I feel stupid.

fishingfrieda
06-01-2013, 10:52 AM
By the way Big Ant, nice to see you posting :biggrin:

Bigg A
06-01-2013, 10:57 AM
So the bobber stopper is just used to keep the bobber from moving up the line, and the swivel, snap keeps it from moving down? Sheesh, I feel stupid.

You can move the string to adjust the depth....you can also put a split shot right above the swivel to help the jig get down to the desired depth.

Bigg A
06-01-2013, 10:59 AM
By the way Big Ant, nice to see you posting :biggrin:

I was on vacation...lol!!

49erbassman
06-01-2013, 11:05 AM
I like the bobbers with the clips on the end too, but I needed a weighted bobber.

They sell weighted clip on bobbers every where. Walmart has like 3 of them for $2

Fish on!

djkurisu1
06-01-2013, 11:44 AM

make sure u wet the string before tightening it also. Makes a huge difference and the string is gonna be feet up the line, then the bead is in between the bobber and the swivel. when u cast should be jig then sinker, swivel then other side i put bead bobber then bead so that the bobber doesnt smash against the swivel and weaken the knot. you can adjust the knot from the string to the depth u like. works better with pencil bobber so that if the bobber stands up it is floating, if it is laying down then u are on the bottom. Hope this helps out

fishingfrieda
06-01-2013, 11:50 AM
make sure u wet the string before tightening it also. Makes a huge difference and the string is gonna be feet up the line, then the bead is in between the bobber and the swivel. when u cast should be jig then sinker, swivel then other side i put bead bobber then bead so that the bobber doesnt smash against the swivel and weaken the knot. you can adjust the knot from the string to the depth u like. works better with pencil bobber so that if the bobber stands up it is floating, if it is laying down then u are on the bottom. Hope this helps outThank you, yes I think this will help.

CAL.NDN
06-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Yea 169 for 3 weighted bobbers. Get the round ones unless you wana keep getting tangled from the oval ones. Well where fish mainly because you have to side cast them.

BIG_ONE
06-01-2013, 01:33 PM

Those clip bobbers are weighted with a little bit of lead on one side. Just got find them, they're not hard to find either. Especially if you get the slim and tall ones, I can cast across the widest part of the AR with the right gear!

:)

Jetspray
06-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Bobber stops fail when they are poor quality. These are the best one's I have used so far. Notice that they come in different sizes for different lines. I can use them on any sliding bobber and set them anyplace with no movement. Better yet they have little problem being cast out either........Jetspray

Bobber Stops - Per 40 : Cabela's (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Terminal-Tackle/Floats-Stops%7C/pc/104793480/c/104779980/sc/104336280/Bobber-Stops-Per-40/711759.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffloat s-stops%2F_%2FN-1100368%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104336280%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat10 4793480%253Bcat104779980&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104779980%3Bcat1 04336280)

BeefCakeScout
06-01-2013, 02:53 PM
I prefer slip bobbers in a drift, because unlike weighted bobbers, I know when my jig is dragging bottom and I can adjust from there. I buy extra beads. I like a bead above AND below the bobber, so it can't catch on the swivel or stop.

Here is my setup.

BeefCakeScout
06-01-2013, 02:58 PM
PS. Yes, the stop is to stop it from going UP the line.You set the depth you want, then you can give it tugs now and again, so it will jig up and down,yet always return to a predetermined depth.

Clearwaterkid
06-26-2013, 02:28 PM
My favorite bobber stop is a small rubb\er band overhand knotted to your line (tags clipped of course), it'll last a few casts and its cheaper than the other stuff.

K-15
06-26-2013, 05:08 PM
We tie on a uniknot out of mono,.pull tight and clip the tags,..your off to the races!..redneck bobber knot.com.:wink: Mike

HOG-ON
06-29-2013, 05:57 PM
Went shad fishing upper sunrise area last eve. around 6:30 pm. First time using a weighted bobber and bobber stopper. I bought the bobber stopper that has the green string tied onto the black tube. It comes with beads that as far as I know are just for testing your eye sight when they fall on the rocks. I did read the directions, and I think I did it right but not sure because it only worked for a short time. I put the bobber on the line, then a bead, then the string and made the knot. It stopped working at the worst possible time when the river came alive with fish surfacing all along the river, fail!!! By this time it was getting to dark to re tie. So does anyone have advice regarding bobber stoppers? Which is the best to buy or make yourself? Can I just use a small split shot on the line below the bobber to make it stay?

CHECK IT OUT MAKE YOUR OWN BOBBER STOP
How to tie a bobber-stop knot - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQjiT3hKyYk)

mtn. man
06-30-2013, 07:40 AM
I tie my own bobber stops as well. I do it just like the video, except I use Hi-Vis yellow Dacron.He's right in the video, you get yourself a big spool of Dacron, and it's a life time supply of bobber stops for you and a whole platoon of anglers.

isdaann
06-30-2013, 07:22 PM
If this happens again tie a waxed dental floss with a grinner knot with at least 7 turns