PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Coleville/Bridgeport

ktmquad
06-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Going on trip this next week and was looking for some new places to try and some current conditions if any sniffers have been up there lately. I haven't been there in awhile but I've had good luck at Robinson and Green creek, only fished the East Walker twice but did really well, and I might have the opportunity to fish a "private" section of the West walker (water still looked high last weekend though). Kinda looking for a small lake to try that doesn't see much pressure. I have found many in the area, but haven't found much in the way of details about the lakes. Anybody willing to share some info? I'm willing to trade:wink:

Captain Compassion
06-01-2013, 04:28 PM
The W. Walker is running just below 500 CFS. blow normal for this time of year but still high. Should be fishable below the 395 bridge, Chris Flat, Sonora Bridge and Pickle Meadows. E. Walker around 70 CFS below the dam. A friend was there Friday afternoon and had no success. Robinson and Buckeye should be good. Perhaps the Virginia Lakes have opened up. Large browns still showing out of Twin Lakes.

CC

Nighthawk
06-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Captain pretty much nailed it. East Walker flows are up a little bit now but water was cloudy. Besides what he mentioned, you could try Trumbull, which is on the right hand side going up to Virginia Lakes, which are both open now. If its stillwater you're looking for, go up towards Virginia Lakes. All the lakes there are doing well and if you're feeling adventurous you could hike up to Moat and/or Frog Lakes. Report I got on Pickel Meadows was fish there but a little spooky and lockjaw. There was certainly fishable water on the West Walker, including the 395 bridge and some spots with calmer water all through the Canyon, at or near the campgrounds he mentioned. Not sure how the fishing is through Coleville/Walker. Robinson and Buckeye are also good choices for moving water. Enjoy your trip. As someone stated in one of his recent posts "Fish live in beautiful places."

Here are two of my favorite pictures of Buckeye Creek and Trumbull Lake.

ktmquad
06-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks! I appreciate the leads! I think I have a basic plan now for this trip, but I'm already planning another to the area when I have more than a couple days to explore. There are almost too many options

Don - Nevada
06-02-2013, 05:31 AM
You might want to take a look at Lundy Lake, which is reached by a paved road from near the south foot of Conway Summit on U.S. 395. And, if you are in good physical shake and like to hike at high altitude, walk on the very steep road from the back side of Lundy Lake to Oneida Lake for brookies.

Sonoramike
06-02-2013, 06:55 AM
Don't bother driving out to green creeks. We went out there for the opener and there was nothing. When we got back into town we went to kens and they said they quit planting that stream years ago.

dano
06-02-2013, 07:19 AM
Hope to hear a report when you return. I'll be heading that direction around the 18-19 of June. Hoping the water will be down a little by then. Hoping the flow will be closer to 300cfs. That's where I seem do start doing the best. Especially in the canyon.

ktmquad
06-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks! I'll post up a report and pics when we get back.