PDA

View Full Version : Rock Wall Halibut 5-13-06

cuhogn
05-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Hit the bay at around 6am with Ron M and Tyeroflies on my buddies (Ron B) boat. Headed south from Berkeley to the Rock wall and trolled this area all day. First action was at 7:50 when Ron M hooked the 1st butt around 8lbs, minutes later Ron B landed a striper around the same weight. Then it was quite until mid morning when I boxed a small butt and about an hour Later Tyer boxed another small one. At the top of the tide they started feeding and we were getting hits and lost 4 fish, finally I boated a 14 lb striper and Tyer put an 18lb butt in the box. ;) Great day on the water with good friends.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Rons_butt.jpg

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Alan_stripper.jpg

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/uploads/2189/Mikes_butt1.jpg

RonM
05-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Yes it was a good day out today, the weather was a bit windy but other than that it was great. This was my first halibut trip ever and we ended up with 4 halibuts and 2 stripers. Great group of guys to fish with too.

marine47
05-13-2006, 09:58 PM
i knew what i was missing, glad to see you guys had some fun out there

cuhogn
05-14-2006, 05:28 AM
M47
We'll get you out there ;) Hope you had a great day with your mom.

DonD
05-14-2006, 07:21 AM
Great job and nice report and good fishing to all Don

hair_raiser
05-14-2006, 07:47 AM
Nice! What were they eating?

freon
05-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Cuhohn, nice pics and great report, I know all of you had fun with that many fishing coming in the boat, those are some real nice fish. Glad you guys hooked up so well.
Freon

cuhogn
05-14-2006, 08:32 AM
We were trolling "blue label herring" tray bait behind an 0 chrome dodger at 2.5 mph. Most of our action came right at the top of the tide and into the 1st 2 hrs of the out go. A lot of bait in the water.

tyeroflies
05-14-2006, 08:49 AM
I second that Ron M, a great bunch of guys to fish with and a great day on the water. *Cuhogn and Ron B, thanks again for taking out a newbie and showing him the ropes. *I had a blast and am looking forward to the next trip. *BTW, the chunk I BBQ'd last night was delicious. *:)

Tyer

cuhogn
05-14-2006, 09:47 AM
BTW, the chunk I BBQ'd last night was delicious.

Oh yea ;)

hairywullie
05-14-2006, 03:45 PM
I Fished the rockwall today from shore, 5/14 06. One hour before till one hour after high tide
Not many peeps fishing maybe 20.
I visited most people that were fishing there. The feed back was,
One keeper halibut landed, bags and bags of smelt were caught.

The Smelt were easy catch using worms 5 feet below a float
After catching some, I tried using them with a slider weight for halibut, and got nuttin.
It was still a great day I like that place, I'll try again l8tr this week..

timetofish
05-15-2006, 06:27 AM
"We don't need no stinking LIVE bait!!"

Great report!! Can't ask for a much better day than that. Keep it up.

jon_may
05-15-2006, 07:32 AM
how are you trolling, with downriggers?
thanks!

jon_may
05-15-2006, 07:34 AM
oops, i got it from the other link!
thanks

jon_may
05-15-2006, 07:45 AM
o-k back to the pros!- is there any way to troll for them without downriggers? i'm challenged in that area!
thanks!

cuhogn
05-15-2006, 08:31 AM
We are not using "riggers".
Attach a 3 way swivel to your main line, off of that you will put on 1 leader around a foot long that you attach a weight too, ( we were trolling with 8 to 16 ozs). On the other we run a 12" to 18" leader with ball bearing swivels on ech end that attaches to the dodger, then off the back of the dodger the bait leader. Drop it to the bottom then let out a few more feet depending on depth and speed, you want to be close to the bottom, so the weight should make contact every now and then. ;)

jon_may
05-15-2006, 08:38 AM
perfect!
that sounds great to me, kinda like a live bait setup, just heavier and trolling!

cuhogn
05-15-2006, 08:42 AM
kinda like a live bait setup, just heavier and trolling!

Exactly
The other difference is that you don't need to worry about the size of the hook causing problems for the bait to swim around so you can use a larger hook espicaly the tail one. ;)

jon_may
05-15-2006, 10:23 AM
do you mind telling what kind of rod? i have several, but i think my sturg rod is too heavy, but my salmon (backtrolling rod) is too light.. if i put 10 oz on my salmon rod and troll with it, i imagine it would be bent over pretty good , then a 'butt added on would really work it! also, how's the drag set? when they hit it are they taking line? (thinking of setting drag the same as backtrolling salmon?) as you can tell, i've only live baited for 'em, but i've heard trolling can be more productive (more ground covered?)
thanks again!

cuhogn
05-15-2006, 10:57 AM
I am currently using a Seeker rated for I think max 20lb (will check tonight and send PM to you) This rod has handled any fish we have hooked so far but I feel is a tad "heavey" now. I like the medium to medium heavey power with the fast action tips. I just bought a new Shimano Teramar X76m that I can't wait to try.

Some do use a "salmon release" and drop the sinker on the hit which may let you use the salmon rod.
My drag is set so that I can pull off line fairly easily, when they hit there is no mistake ;) a lot of times in can be a "little difficult" to get the rod out of the holder ;D
We seem to have a longer "activety" window with the trolling thus uping our counts.

Seeker is SC 196 7' line 10 -25lb

Reel_Big
05-17-2006, 06:25 PM
nice striper , good size. ;D ;D

cool_justin
05-17-2006, 08:21 PM
I fished the rock wall quite frequently from shore when i was livin in the bay. sharks and rays were all we caught. It was fun though. It sure can get cold and windy at night there.