PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Beach

viper2
05-11-2006, 01:06 PM
We are going camping at Dillon Beach weekend after next.

Any ideas for fishing around there? *I probably will be taking my travel trailer not the boat.

Thanks for any ideas.

65whaler
05-11-2006, 03:28 PM
you could head down the road a bit to lawson's landing and rent a boat - head down tomales bay and see if any halibut have shown up.

Laporte
05-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Sounds like you'll be camping w/family. Does'nt leave a lot of time to fish. Might try posting on hitchikers board. Lawsons has alum. boats for rent. Or you can try your luck crabbing/fishing from their pier. Always something to do, & a great place to stay. Plan for wind & cold.

StripeSideChaser
05-12-2006, 08:08 AM
If you don't have time for a boat, you can fish for perch on the beach (quite fun on light tackle)... try 2" grubs or you can just dig your own sand crabs. Also, down by the rocks, you can get rockfish and perch (I always do best there on shrimp or squid strips, the last two hours of the incoming tide).
Also, if you have young kids, Dillon's is THE place to hook them on fishing. Take them out on that little pier and rig them up with sabiki's... put about 2 oz on the end and throw towards the clam beds and reel in slowly. When they get the first bite, have them stop for a few seconds... most of the time, you can fill a sabiki with topsmelt and will keep the kiddies busy for hours (also, if you are taking a boat out, they'll provide you with all the live bait you could possibly use).

StripeSideChaser
05-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Doh, one more thought... after sundown, take a bigger rig up the bay entrance towards the mouth... throw out whole squid for bat rays and Leopard sharks. Some frown on this fishing, but there really aren't many fish that are stronger and fight harder than a bat ray!
Personally, I wouldn't keep a Leopard from there... seen too many warnings about the toxin levels around Tamales.

dbass
05-12-2006, 10:35 AM
They have big minus tide coming around then, around -1.9 or so, great for clamming. Check the Lawson Landing home page.

kromebrite
05-12-2006, 11:12 AM
The little pier at Lawson's is a great idea for family fishing.
There have been posts in the past off people catching sizable leopard shark in the area, and you can count on jacksmelt or some such for the kids. Nice and safe.

I would not suggest it for younger children due to waves and rocks, but the North end of the beach(towards the houses on the hillsides-Oceana Marin) provides some very good spots for poke-poling. I have yet to hook up in thre, but I see where others do well(newbie at it ::))

TSL
05-12-2006, 10:07 PM
that live bait can be traded for sodas and candy :o

TSL

viper2
05-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks for all the ideas guys.

I will actually be going with about 30 Boy Scouts and adults. *Sounds like clamming and perch fishing might be a good idea.

TSL
05-14-2006, 05:21 PM
claming is a very dirty job
dillions has no showers

good luck

TSL

BE Prepared

sethonious
05-17-2006, 08:38 AM
TSL has the right idea. I grew up pier fishing from Dillon's Beach. I would spend all day out there trying to catch shiner perch and jack smelt to trade to halibut fishermen for crab bait and candy. It kept my cousins and I busy for hours. If we got bored we'd go dig for shrimp, or walk around. Tons of fun for kids.

Also if you have an old beat up snow board that you don't mind thrashing bring it for some hot sandboarding action. This is also a great way to keep kids entertained. Head off to the really big sand dune to the south and sand board all day long. So many good memories. ;D