PDA

View Full Version : Fish & Game Commission?

Reel Fun
06-06-2013, 08:38 AM
I have watch countless hours of video from the F&G Comm meetings. I keep seeing the same thing after all the experts and guest speakers give their presentations in that the F&G Commission seems to ask the proposing dept. "what is their opinion"? For instance if the DFW proposes a new reg after giving their presentation the president will ask the dept speaker whats the opinion or recommendation of that dept? Even when the Commission request a dept to review something they again at the end ask that same question? WHY? If they hear all the facts and reviews etc. then why would they need to be told what way they should vote? Funny thing is I have watch dozens & dozens of hours of this stuff and not only after getting a recommendation and voting it through.....its always 100% unanimous? Not one commissioner that I have seen has gone against anything???? Its like they tune out what is being presented then tune out the public comment section.....and at the end just ask "which way should we vote"?? I know they respect the DFW's opinion....but this all just seems like a waste of time and money if all they are going to do is agree 100% unanimous on everything? The only thing.....only one thing I have seen them not approve was the Striper Proposal that DFW knew was wrong to begin with but proposed it anyway after settling a lawsuit.....and after the tremendous outcry from the public.....it still almost got passed? That's one out of hundreds I have seen...and out all the others I have seen...(100's) they all got passed by each commissioner 100%......not one single nay vote? Not one commissioner who needed more info or agreed with one of the dozens and dozens of the citizens against said proposal? These videos are posted on the Fish & Game Commissioners website for our review. In my opinion for something to be fair & balanced there should be a difference of opinion sometimes? The lack of a difference of opinion is shocking! Why even have 5-6 commissioners if all they do is agree all the time? Even their comments are the same way!! One commissioner will state something and all the rest will use their time to agree? I am concerned! And just like the Spear Fishing regulation recently.....they passed it Stafford Lair defended it saying it was a complete and thorough process with many experts from law enforcement & biologist involved yet after all that......they simply forgot to ask if it was legal to have a Spear Gun in the parkway?? Which it is not! And now thanks to the experts and proffesionals at DFW & the F&G Commission we have a regulation for the legal take of Striped Bass on the American River ....just no Spear Guns allowed? RF

FresnoJack
06-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Because the commission members are political appointees, most of whom have little or no hunting or fishing experience and virtually zero by way of a science background.

Blue Ribbon Task Force: Member Biographies (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mpa/brtf_bios_sc.asp)

What do you expect for $100,00.00 per year?

I have watch countless hours of video from the F&G Comm meetings. I keep seeing the same thing after all the experts and guest speakers give their presentations in that the F&G Commission seems to ask the proposing dept. "what is their opinion"? For instance if the DFW proposes a new reg after giving their presentation the president will ask the dept speaker whats the opinion or recommendation of that dept? Even when the Commission request a dept to review something they again at the end ask that same question? WHY? If they hear all the facts and reviews etc. then why would they need to be told what way they should vote? Funny thing is I have watch dozens & dozens of hours of this stuff and not only after getting a recommendation and voting it through.....its always 100% unanimous? Not one commissioner that I have seen has gone against anything???? Its like they tune out what is being presented then tune out the public comment section.....and at the end just ask "which way should we vote"?? I know they respect the DFW's opinion....but this all just seems like a waste of time and money if all they are going to do is agree 100% unanimous on everything? The only thing.....only one thing I have seen them not approve was the Striper Proposal that DFW knew was wrong to begin with but proposed it anyway after settling a lawsuit.....and after the tremendous outcry from the public.....it still almost got passed? That's one out of hundreds I have seen...and out all the others I have seen...(100's) they all got passed by each commissioner 100%......not one single nay vote? Not one commissioner who needed more info or agreed with one of the dozens and dozens of the citizens against said proposal? These videos are posted on the Fish & Game Commissioners website for our review. In my opinion for something to be fair & balanced there should be a difference of opinion sometimes? The lack of a difference of opinion is shocking! Why even have 5-6 commissioners if all they do is agree all the time? Even their comments are the same way!! One commissioner will state something and all the rest will use their time to agree? I am concerned! And just like the Spear Fishing regulation recently.....they passed it Stafford Lair defended it saying it was a complete and thorough process with many experts from law enforcement & biologist involved yet after all that......they simply forgot to ask if it was legal to have a Spear Gun in the parkway?? Which it is not! And now thanks to the experts and proffesionals at DFW & the F&G Commission we have a regulation for the legal take of Striped Bass on the American River ....just no Spear Guns allowed? RF

Line Stretcher
06-08-2013, 03:06 PM
The decisions are all made before the meeting. The meeting is just a formality that's required just like a private corporation whenever the subject potentially poses a liability risk to one or more stake holders, (that's you and I).. We shouldn't even be at these meetings but they let us. We appointed them to make decisions for us as public trust agents. We can recall them if we can established justification but that's all we have until the next time we go to the polls.

There are conciencous voters and mindless voters. Guess who's outnumbered when it comes to DFW appointments. That's the part that disgusts me.

Reel Fun
06-08-2013, 05:40 PM
The part that's tough for me is that never has one commission member ever gone against the DFW? Never has a vote been 5-1 or 4-2 its always 5-0 or 6-0 for everything? So after all the protest against the hundreds of rules that I have watched in which the public and pro anglers contest...its still always unanimous? Heck when you visit DFW's website on the left side is a link to the F&G Commission as a related agency? They passed a reg allowing for the take of Striped Bass by spear? Tell me one knowledgeable Striper guy who thought that was a good idea? Even the Maloof Brothers thought it was a bad idea!! LOL!!! Staffard Lair was on Bob Simms and he pretty much said it was going to be re visited? Then why recommend to pass it anyway? And I just hate it when DFW says that they only recommend regs and the Commission will either pass them or not? REALLY? In my opinion the F&G Commission is useless and serves no purpose. Like I said earlier all those "professionals" passed a reg on the AR.....and forgot to ask if it was legal to do so? OOOOPPPPPPPSSSS!! Lets add up the time wasted by a couple dozen or more people who worked on this for years? I expect better from this Commission & DFW.......RF

FresnoJack
06-09-2013, 11:55 AM
The problem is that we do not get to vote -either in or out- for the commission members of the DFG. They are appointed by the Governor.

Qualifications for appointment are campaign contributions and political butt-kissing.

How else explain Commissioners who are a political affairs officer for Western States Petroleum Association, a multi-millionaire real estate developer in Marina Del Rey, a college professor and director of the Environmental and Natural Resources Law and Policy Program at Stanford Law School, the director of the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, and on and on.

Even the Director of the DFG, the executive officer in charge of the agency, is a political appointee.

I need to stop frothing at the mouth and try to lower my blood pressure.

Read and follow Tom Stienstra's blog. He has some excellent ideas for reform.
http://A how-to guide in revamping woeful DFG

The decisions are all made before the meeting. The meeting is just a formality that's required just like a private corporation whenever the subject potentially poses a liability risk to one or more stake holders, (that's you and I).. We shouldn't even be at these meetings but they let us. We appointed them to make decisions for us as public trust agents. We can recall them if we can established justification but that's all we have until the next time we go to the polls.

There are conciencous voters and mindless voters. Guess who's outnumbered when it comes to DFW appointments. That's the part that disgusts me.