PDA

View Full Version : Is this inflatable kayak safe for the Bay?

esper
05-11-2006, 01:43 AM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/inflatablesstore_1893_4909638

I bought this online and planned on just using it for fishing the reservoirs in the South Bay. I haven't yet put it in the water, but I did blow it up and it is one sturdy kayak well made kayak. Sturdy enough that it is allowing me to contemplate taking it out in to the waters in the Bay. Maybe around the area of Burlingame to Candlestick.

Not sure what makes a saltwater inflatable kayak different than one specifically created for freshwater. So maybe some guidance from you good folks may help. What do you guys think? Bay safe?

ric1ric
05-11-2006, 05:52 AM
Wear your safety gear we used to run our 8' hydros out of redwood city some mornings it was just like glass out there for a couple hrs,before the wind would come up. Take it out on mornings like that and come in when it gets to rough for you.That should let you get a feel for it,and let you know if it's safe for it out there.

Uncle_Sam
05-11-2006, 09:49 PM
I caught a nice halibut in Bodega Bay in a Sevylor HF 360. Sevylor products are great until they start to leak. You really need to stay on top of the inflation level. They will not stay firm for much more than one hour. However, I have taken my Sevylor a little ways into the ocean on a nice day. The HF 360 is really stable as long as it stays inflated. They have the advantage of not needing a boat launch. Try using it in the little coves on the north coast for rock fish after July 1. One ling cod sure made my inflatable crowded.

meatboat
05-14-2006, 10:06 AM
I went from a malibu to a widerness with rudder. Problem to consider. How does it tack in the wind, Cod have spines that will poke thru you boat, you will fall out more than one, surf zone will knock you our not only leaving but you may come back to a large swell coming home. I would say no to ocean. To fish you must tie everything down. You will have hooks everywhere. Gaff net, board
The mailbu was very hard to tack straight and a lot of drag paddling. Blow ups seem to have both of these issues.

esper
05-15-2006, 02:48 PM
I had hoped that I could take it out into the South Bay around the Burlingame area, but it doesn't sound like a smart thing to do. Problem being the wind. I am too chicken to even try to take it into the Pacific. So I will just use it for its intended purpose. Freshwater asault on mercury laiden San Jose fish!

Thanks guys.