PDA

View Full Version : Any one know what this lure is?

AlbeeFishing
06-06-2013, 06:09 PM
I got this lure from my grand father and Iv used it only a couple time for striper. It kills them, when I cant get a bite this one produces. Only thing is Im afraid of loosing it. I don't have any idea who makes it. Any ideas? Iv thought about making one but I don't want to deconstruct it to see how they made this one.1484014841

PlugROCKSTAR
06-07-2013, 06:33 AM
Looks like a jig/spoon with a bend. You can do that to any Spoon.

AlbeeFishing
06-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Looks like a jig/spoon with a bend. You can do that to any Spoon.
Its not metal though, it feels like it might be fiberglass.

BeefCakeScout
06-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Couldn't tell you the brand, but they are kicking a bunch of very similar ones out of Japan and even some here. Google "bent minnow" or "swan lures". If you search them in google images you will find something that suits you.

calamari
06-08-2013, 11:41 AM
A long time ago a guy named Charlie White made the first underwater movie of salmon hitting lures and bait behind a down rigger. He'd rent a theater and show it on a limited engagement basis. Guys would line up down the street to watch it in Auburn. He took his knowledge and designed a lure that had all the features he found salmon to be attracted to. He called it "The Lure" and that's what you have. I have the same one and unfortunately it's the same color as yours. The silvery model was the salmon killer.
Here's a link to a picture of one still in the package. Lower left hand side.

old Salmon Tackle - www.ifish.net (http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=271123)

Line Stretcher
06-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Nice response, you certainly nailed it! I was thinking red sided shad but had no idea where the bent body came in. Now I know.. Thanks. FYI I'll bet the Siver version would be a thread fin.

calamari
06-08-2013, 01:53 PM
FYI I'll bet the Siver version would be a thread fin.

Actually, it's not a particularly small lure. The body may approach 5" and is a slim herring shape so not a very good threadfin imitation. His conclusion was that salmon seem to love a rolling bait with a spinner so he combined those features. In my experience he got it pretty right.

Line Stretcher
06-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Actually, it's not a particularly small lure. The body may approach 5" and is a slim herring shape so not a very good threadfin imitation. His conclusion was that salmon seem to love a rolling bait with a spinner so he combined those features. In my experience he got it pretty right.

Oh, it looked much smaller. If I imagine it bigger I can see it as a herring easily. Thanks.

AlbeeFishing
06-08-2013, 06:37 PM
A long time ago a guy named Charlie White made the first underwater movie of salmon hitting lures and bait behind a down rigger. He'd rent a theater and show it on a limited engagement basis. Guys would line up down the street to watch it in Auburn. He took his knowledge and designed a lure that had all the features he found salmon to be attracted to. He called it "The Lure" and that's what you have. I have the same one and unfortunately it's the same color as yours. The silvery model was the salmon killer.

old Salmon Tackle - www.ifish.net (http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=271123)

Wow you nailed it that's for sure. Its a big lure, about 5" long. Thanks for the input. Now I have a direction to go. Iv been talking with a guy at my work about making it out of fiber glass. Debated on carbon fiber but decided that it would end up to light.

hooks
06-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Go to ebay and go to outdoor sports to fishing and search bent minnow. Lots of them there.

WLShafor
06-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Kinda looks like this one http://youtu.be/fgB7w8WC4bg

Those who are at war with others are not at peace with themselves.

BeefCakeScout
06-09-2013, 12:59 PM

So, you are saying I should either buy the Bent minnow(OSP I believe) or make myself one of those things?

Goldencarp
06-09-2013, 02:23 PM
In the first link, the top row of plugs looks like the old 'Little Joe' lures we used for commercial fishing in the 60's. I still have a bunch of them new along with lots of other 'vintage' lures.

CRABBY
06-09-2013, 03:48 PM

old Salmon Tackle - www.ifish.net (http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=271123)You ol fart you are a wealth of knowledge at times...Even though we disagree now an then!!!:fishhead:

AlbeeFishing
06-09-2013, 05:34 PM
In the first link, the top row of plugs looks like the old 'Little Joe' lures we used for commercial fishing in the 60's. I still have a bunch of them new along with lots of other 'vintage' lures.

You got any pics? If you are looking to sell some I might be interested.

Goldencarp
06-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Take me a few days to dig them out but I can post up some pics. Sorry I don't want to sell them, they invoke many memories of my father and I fishing up and down the coast.:salmon: