PDA

View Full Version : inexpensive Ling jig

Fort_Bragger
05-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Here's a Ling Cod jig that I make. *I don't think its design is anything unique, but maybe my materials are. *I use old pump shafts that I get for nothing. *Most pump installers have old shaft in piles waiting to be hauled off as scrap. Shaft comes in lots of diameters, and I have used from 3/4" to 1-1/2". I like 1-1/8" the best.*The lenght is about four inches. *Depends on how deep your fishing. *I like to feel the thump of hitting bottom when jigging them.*It doesn't have to be shiny, but I try and find it that way. *Shaft material is really hard stuff, and most band saw blades won't cut it. *I use a chop saw and cut as below. *Maybe a 45 degree angle.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/3225/picture015custom8xg.jpg

Drilling holes isn't easy either. *A drill press with a carbide bit works best. *I buy 7/0 trebble hooks and split rings to attach them to the jig. *Snap swivles are pretty easy to come by. *I use to attach a single hook at the swivle end too, but with the hook restrictions I now go with just the trebble as below.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/7753/picture014custom7zf.jpg

If you buy the trebble hooks in bulk and use old snap swivles I can get the cost down to about 30 cents each. *If you know Ling fishing spots where the life expectancy of your $6 hex bar is about ten minutes or less these work for me. *I don't feel bad if I lose a dozen getting that big Ling out of his lair. *I never use bait or plastics on the jigs I guess because they work without it. *Patent pending...............Ben

jth76
05-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Ben,

I used the same exact thing years ago, but only with 1 big J-hook attached. My cousin's shop had these shiny metal bars laying around so I put it to good use. Boy, those things are hard to cut and drill, I think I destroyed his band saw machine with it..heheh. I buffed it up with a buffer and made it shiny. Mine weighs about 1-1.5 lbs, since we used to fish deep reef in HMB and the Fallones Islands when it was still legal to fish 200-400+deep for rockfishes. Boy, how I missed those good old days when each rockfish weighs a ton, especially with those 2-3lb sinker balls.
I gave one 1.5lb home-made bar to my buddy out in Capt John's charter in HMB and he hooked onto something gigantic around Deep Reef. After 10 minutes, he gave up and hand it off to a hardy and gorgeous skipper named Gina- Best looking deckhand I've seen. She then fought for another 15-20 minutes while the captain told everybody to reel it up while he chased that one fish with his huge party boat. Just amazing. We were using stiff rods with 40lb test and 60lb shrimpfly leaders. It made a final nose dive into the rocks, snagged and broke the line. Everybody on the boat applaud to her effort, yet Gina later blamed it on our "cheap" gears. ::) We will never know what the fish looks like, but I guess it could be a whale of a lingcod or a killer Pacific Halibut. We still gave gina a good tip though. ;D
Don't count these things out, they really do work.

somebody
05-08-2006, 12:13 PM
try spot annealing with a torch, get area to be drilled red hot and let it cool. then use cutting oil to drill holes. after holes are drilled then cut on 45 degree between holes. i have used rebar, stainless etc. from scrap yards and even octagon stock.

fishfearme
05-08-2006, 06:25 PM
JTH, I remeber a chick working on one of the boats in HMB........sounds like it might have been the same one. As far as fishing hags go she wasn't too bad but more of a mud duck if I seen her on shore. She also had a pretty bad attitude and was an incompetent deckhand. I recall plenty of unattended tangles and a couple missed gaffs and boasting of how she got tipped more when she just wore the bikini top. Last trip I took on that boat.

TSL
05-08-2006, 06:58 PM
do you think a bikini top would work for me?

gmdcdvm
05-09-2006, 04:14 AM
Are you planning on selling these?

AllFishNoWork
05-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Great thread and really good ideas. It is a bummer to stick your new $8 bar in the bottom of the sea.

But DANGIT now you got me wanting to go cod fishing! [smiley=hissyfit.gif]

Fort_Bragger
05-09-2006, 07:01 PM
No I have no plans on selling these. The cost in blood and bandaids alone would make me lose money.........We won't even bring up how many beers are consumed between jigs. TSL, I've never met you, but the mental image I'm getting isn't pretty. The expression of "making a train take a dirt road" comes to mind some how. Am I close?
.........Ben

TSL
05-09-2006, 07:53 PM
lets see
now how do i describe myself

320lb of jiggling fat
grey haired face
enoigh body hair to stay warm in a blizzard
multiple dents and dings from being rode hard and put up wet
i do still have all my teeth and my nose is only a little bent
hygene is lacking
looks like i have been in the desert a week and thats before i leave

sound about right?

oh!!
and i love tie die tank tops
cant hardly pick me out of crowd

i am also very quiet and soft spoken....in a pigs eye
and thats before an over consumption of adult beverages
and yes i do like cigars

TSL

TSL
05-09-2006, 07:56 PM
and back on topic
cut up the kids chrome handle bars
8" pieces and they drill easy

TSL

The_Reel_Won
05-10-2006, 06:22 PM
I agree. So I stoped buying them, now I make them. Metal shops carry hex bars. I like 5/8 *$20 bucks for a 12 foot length I believe. Easy to cut (7 inch) at an angle and drill. Can of white spray paint. A package of Split rings and Large single hooks. 7 inches out of a piece of 12 foot long bar you come out way ahead. *And they look just like the ones at "Wills" *A large single barbed hook will help with the snags too, and you can get the hook out faster and back in the water again. Those of you who have used hexed bars for lings and large vermillion know these bars kill. Just FYI. By the way nice job on your ling jig. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Great thread and really good ideas. It is a bummer to stick your new $8 bar in the bottom of the sea.

But DANGIT now you got me wanting to go cod fishing! [smiley=hissyfit.gif]

fishfearme
05-10-2006, 07:45 PM
You get a better action on these puppies if you cut a long angle (less than 45 degrees) on one end.

and TSL

Sounds like a bikini top or manziere might work for you(alleviate potential lower back issues) if some of that 320 lbs of jiggly stuff is located in the upper hemisphere........don't know if it'd help with the tips though.

Fort_Bragger
05-12-2006, 06:45 AM
I cut the shaft at whatever the greatest angle is on my chop saw. *I was guessing at 45, but I agree the more angle the better. *TSL: *I actually did use chrome bathroom pipe at one time. *Fewer problems than telling the kids somebody stole their handlebars. *The prototypes I made with the chrome pipe I filled with lead. *The first time I used them the lead fell out after bumping them on the bottom a few times. *I had to kink them with a punch to eliminate that design flaw. *

Just one more tip that I might add. *Cut the jigs up but don't assemble them until you fish. *I tried organizing them a number of ways and you still end up with one jig weighing 15 pounds. *Not good for anyone prone with motion sickness to untangle your jigs while rocking in the boat. *I just fill a coffee can with the jigs and it's easy to put a swivle and trebble hook on while fishing.

I have an old picture taken around 1965 of my best day ever catching lings. *I fished with a mechanic that worked for my dad, and we were at Salt Point before the State bought it from the sheep rancher. *You paid your two dollars and could drive anywhere you were brave enough to go. *We were in a Sears 8' fiberglass boat fishing the north end of Salt Point at what was then Stumpy Beach. *We only had about 8" of freeboard to start, and the ocean was absolutely flat calm. *Had to quit fishing when we had about 250 pounds of fish on board with just a few inches of freeboard left. *My biggest ling was well over 30, but I don't believe it went 40. *Just as we beached the boat we swamped and sank. *Didn't lose anything but it was exciting wading and throwing gear and fish up on the sand. *I still have the Poloroid Land Camera too. *The print had to be smeared with goop from a tube after pulling the picture from the camera and waiting for it to develope. *I tried to attach it here, but my scanner puts it in Qtime format that I can open but cannot resize, or Jpeg that I can't open, but can resize ???
Sorry for rambling, but it was a time in my youth when all things were good. *Who says you can't go home?..................Ben.