PDA

View Full Version : Feather River hatchery to kill more "unspawned" spring salmon

hotdog
06-09-2013, 05:20 PM
General Comments, Questions, Requests for the Fish and Game Commission (fgc@fgc.ca.gov)

Let's see if I can get through this without flipping out. I'm a taxpayer as well as a concerned fisherman. That means I am paying for this hatchery, employees, and fish. Due to the tremendous damage that this hatchery caused to our salmon runs by destroying fish without spawning them in the early 2,000's, they nearly caused our salmon to go extinct. They also caused the closure of many runs, including one of my favorites, like fishing for Feather River springers. Instead of opening up the season to fishermen when they started seeing an abundance of fish, far more than they could use, they opted to once again kill my/our fish. Articles from last year:

Fish Hatchery killing some salmon without spawning; food goes to organizations - Oroville Mercury Register (http://www.orovillemr.com/news/ci_21648418/fish-hatchery-killing-some-salmon-without-spawning-food)

Editorial: Hatchery salmon kill makes no sense - Chico Enterprise Record (http://www.chicoer.com/opinion/ci_21678239/editorial-hatchery-salmon-kill-makes-no-sense)

Now, the plan is to do it again. Please contact the F&G at the above email address and express your anger and opposition to this. DON'T make idiotic remarks that will get your opinion thrown out. This crap has to end so make it count.

hotdog
06-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Here is my email for an example:

To whom it may concern,

It is being reported that the Feather River Hatchery is, once again, planning to destroy "excess" spring run salmon without spawning them first. It is inconceivable to we sportsmen, who have fully paid for these fish through our taxes, licenses, and other fees, that you would decide to destroy these fish instead of expanding our angling opportunities. Salmon are a highly valuable resource to fishermen as well as to this state. Wasting fish in this fashion is the worst form of mismanagement. I urge you to stop killing salmon without spawning them at our hatcheries. I ask you to quickly expand our fishing opportunities whenever the fish populations allow.

Sincerely,

James Edwards

CAL.NDN
06-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Just to sick and mad to reply at the moment but will send email soon

WHT.RUS
06-10-2013, 05:19 AM
Why seperate fall from the springers? They are a same species after all. So what if they have a bit different genes. The world is evolving. Maybe the two different genes can make a winter run? I'm no scientist, but this doesnt makes sense. Other than giving the fish to the needy, that's the only good thing I read if its indeed true.

I will be emailing them too.

IronClad
06-10-2013, 05:41 AM
The give away to the needy part is true but its really a give away to anyone who wants to come get some thing. twoards the end of the season they go to a local food place and they have you come up sign your name on a sheet and they hand you 5 filets and you walk away. So honestly anyone can come get some.. i even went and grabbed some for a friend to smoke. The quality of the fish is also not so great. They are just frozen and stuffed into a box not even plastic sealed so pretty much when you go pick some up they just grab them out of a box and throw them in a plastic bag that is open ended and you're on your way. Wouldnt do anything but smoke them honestly =\ Oh and if they have any left overs from what i understand they just get trashed....

BeefCakeScout
06-10-2013, 11:25 PM
I was at my most diplomatic for once