PDA

View Full Version : Skippers sea sick policy

Sea_Snake
04-24-2006, 03:15 PM
I took a guy out sat salmon fishing out of bodega after he told me he didnt need any sea sick meds. we arived just off salmon creek in 200' of water and I said are you ok and he replies iam gona get sick. So I put two rods out and started trolling and made him suffer for an hour and a half before offering to take him back to the dock eight miles away needless to say my day was skunked. Do any of you outher skippers have any rules for your crew .

Laporte
04-24-2006, 05:33 PM
If you're gunna puke, do it over the side. I had one guy get sick over the side. He was out of it. He kept fishin,so I thought. The rest of us were jiggin for lings. I looked over just in time to see his spooled line pop off his spool. Hung it on the bottom and just let it go. Another time with my girlfriend at Ft. Bragg, she wanted to take another dramamine. I looked over just in time to see it fly 10' out into the water. Covered her head the rest of the trip. Whats with the covering the head thing? Seen it many times. Another time on a party boat,there was quite a line to the head. When the deckhand finally got the guy holed up in the head to open the door,he was stripped down to his underwear,& (it was cold).

Fort_Bragger
04-24-2006, 07:12 PM
My sister usually fishes with me and she gets sick sometimes to the point of peeing her pants. *She wears depends and just keeps fishing. *She's smelly, but she's tough. :o
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Ben.

blue_chrush
04-24-2006, 09:05 PM
this happened 3 times last yr with newbies.....
1st one I brought in......
2nd one said I never get sick , he stayed out 4 hrs
till I got fish for both of us.....
3rd one.....he jumped in the water and kept fishing....

if you enter the water and become neutral buoyant...
it will stop the sickness......

also if your sick already you can take a Dramamine and
insert it annually and this will help as you can not throw it up...
just don't ask me to insert it, your on your own.......

Sardine
04-24-2006, 10:54 PM
The first wife & I went to Imperial Beach & got a party boat out to the Coronado Islands for the day. She can get seasick. We were up on the bow of the boat watching the flying fish take off in front of the boat & the wife was doing okay the first hour. Then, some cat comes running up the deck towards us trying to get to the head fast but didn't make it. He stops right next to my wife & pukes over the side. The wife looks up at me, turns green & joins him. Never saw her again the whole rest of the trip.

Sardine
04-24-2006, 11:01 PM
Then one time I was out there with two buddies, one suseptable to seasickness. We'd been trolling salmon an hour or two off the old Fort Ord firing range area out of Monterey. Herb wasn't looking to good so Roland picks up a frozen anchovie & bites into it. You could hear the ice cracking as his teeth sank into it. Herb turned green, says to Roland, "You SOB" leaned over the side & was calling out for Ralph the rest of the day.

Sardine
04-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Here's one more I just remembered. Monterey again the roughest day ever for me. Everyone on the boat was sick except the me, the skipper, the deck hand & our friends Dad, Mr Rexroth. Must have been 2 dozen people on this boat that day down off Carmel Beach. People were laying all over like tuna on the deck after a feeding frenzy. This one guy had his rag that was an old pair of underwear laying there beside him by his head. Mr. Rexroth looks down & sees this & says "I've seen some seasick people before but I never seen anyone puke up his shorts before". It reallly was a terrible day out there. People & puke all over the deck. It happened fast too. We headed in already at 9 am that day. Even I was happy to set foot on the dock. It was the closest I ever came to feeling woosey out there.

isdaann
04-25-2006, 05:56 AM
Here's a rule of thumb, when you puking like crazy and you just can't puke anymore your just spitting bile. If something that feels like a donut comes up, DON'T spit it out, its your *******...

kromebrite
04-25-2006, 06:49 AM
I've done my share of chunking, particularly out of Bodega Bay. I do much better and rarely get sick in warmer waters(Mexico) and being in smaller boats. Worse feeling there is. Nonetheless, my policy is that if I get sick, tough beans. I am not asking anyone to come in early just because I am chunking. That is my problem. I'll go lay down somewhere and ride it out. I always go over the side, downwind and away from people fishing as much as possible.
Lately, I have ben taking Bonine, one before bed and two before I head out and I have not experienced any sickness so I may have found my remedy. I have fished with folks who swear "I don't get sick" and will refuse to take anything. I share with them how I am prone and there is no shame in taking precautions. So I figure after that lecture if they chunk, don't say I didn't warn ya!

SUNRISECHASER
04-25-2006, 07:16 AM
A real captain does what the partyboats do with sick passengers...Too bad so sad your not going home until the days fishing is over! ;D

GCinGV
04-25-2006, 07:29 AM
I never get sick on my boat but almost always on a charter boat. The only good thing about getting sick on a crowded charter boat is that everyone gives you plenty of room to fish. Best way I know of to clear the rail.
One thing Iíve noticed about getting seasick is that the taller the wheel house on the boat the sooner I get sick. The higher the center of gravity the more they role from side to side.
GC

Double_D
04-25-2006, 08:08 AM
I'm not a boat skipper but I have a story to tell.....about 20 years ago all the guys at work go on a party boat out of Monterey, all week long this one guy at work keeps telling me how much of a sea wimp I am and how sick I'm going be...this guy was kinda a bad a$$ he was an old school biker (a real biker)in and out of prison, black leather vest, Levi bell bottoms, Buck knife,jail house tats,all ways had a bag of crank(speed) with him ,300.lb fat guy, beard like ZZ top,anyway I keep my yapper shut all week(not easy for me) so that Friday after work everyone thats going stays up all night and drives down at 2:00AM to Monterey, we get on the boat and this guy starts in on me, calling me out telling me it's only a matter of time and I'll be calling for mama, Then it starts....he starts turning green and he's blowing chunk so hard it's coming out of his noes, second round he blows so hard his upper dentures go over board, third round and he is blowing so bad he craps a load in his pants....what a site a bad a$$ biker/so called man of the sea is begging the boat captain to take him back.....took a vote, needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few......Mr. Bad a$$ was very quiet on the drive back home ;D

TSL
04-25-2006, 08:35 AM
best way = fish alone

TSL

Double_D
04-25-2006, 08:47 AM
best way = fish alone

TSL

I agree 100% TSL....... ;)

Jan_from_Humboldt
04-25-2006, 09:15 AM
best way = fish alone

TSL

I agree 100% TSL....... ;)

Amen, you get sick with me you are there for the duration of the trip, never seen anyone die from being seasick.

I always tell the newbies up front what the ground rules are before we go out on the rare occasion I do take someone.

Sure seen some turn some funny colors though ;D ;D

isdaann
04-25-2006, 10:43 AM
I'v tried everything, the patch worked the best, but when they stopped the patch, meclazine worked for me, instead of dramamine or bonine.

14_blast
04-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Me and my budd went out the gate near Duxbury, we were on an awesome bite. In 20 minutes, we had 2 halibut, a ling cod, and 2 rock cod, yours truly starts blowing chunks....we left the awesome bite and headed home. Why? Because it's my boat and it was game over.

ric1ric
04-25-2006, 11:58 AM
In all the years I had been fishing I never got sick,UNTIL I was down in San Deigo one year. It was blowing pretty hard the day I was supposed to go out, but I had talked my wife into going and it was her first trip out. Well I told her we should go the next day because it was so rough I didn't want her to get sick. So the next day it was calmer and we decided to go. Got there had some big swells but they pretty far apart. Well she is holding up well ,then I had to pee I go into the head and when I opened the door to come out chunks away, I made it over the side. If someone had been between me and the rail they would have been covered. I never felt it coming or anything instant sick. Of cousre I blow till I was dry and a few more. My fishing slowed a little, but I never stopped fishing.
On another trip out this lady I didn't know was so sick she offered the Captain 500 hundred dollars to take her in and he wouldn't do it.

FishnRN
04-25-2006, 01:02 PM
On the larger boats-NO problems! BUT, get on the smaller craft, like my friends 16 ft aluminum out of Santa Cruz once or twice a week and I'm chumin for lingcod. I've tried all the remedies and they just don't seem to help me much. I normally chum the area about 3 times per trip, my friends never offer to come in and I wouldn't hear of it anyway. I'm still fishing all day, and I'm ready to come back on the next trip whenever I can. I've even started drinking wobbly pops at 5 in morning hoping It would throw off my sense of balance and I'd be OK??? Turns out, throwing up warm beer leaves a really bad taste in your mouth. :-X :-/
As for advice on what you should do as a captain. Fish on! Make sure your riders get sick over the edge, and have them pass out somewhere out of the way.
Good luck to all the GREENhorns, :)

-Ben

65whaler
04-25-2006, 01:51 PM
i've always had a policy on my boat: sick? tough.

unfortunately, i'm a pushover and only fish with my friends. last year twice i had motored my 15 miles to elephant rock only to have my passengers go limp.

i'm with tsl, except for the fact that even if you limit alone, your fuel costs are never offset.

AllFishNoWork
04-25-2006, 02:14 PM
yours truly starts blowing chunks....we left the awesome bite and headed home. Why? Because it's my boat and it was game over

It's great to be Captain! [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

Sea_Snake
04-25-2006, 05:52 PM
I got a good laugh about the bad a$$ biker . This guy was scared also thats why I took him back , what a GREEHORN .

jetcraft18
04-25-2006, 07:04 PM
doesnt sound like fun to me,ill sick to freshwater.

gmdcdvm
04-25-2006, 07:19 PM
I love to fish, and I am always trying to get new people hooked on our great sport/hobby/activity/or whatever you want to call it. I always give people the same instructions: start the dramamine the night before and continue to take it in the morning and once during the day. I have had a few people who said they didn't need it or wanted to try it with out the drugs on board. I told them try it with the meds first. If you can't hack it then you know fishing might not be for you. If you can handle it with medications, and you want to try it without wait until next time around. You don't want someone getting sick there first time out or they will never go out again. I warn everyone that goes out: The boat wont come back just because you are sick.

I got sick for the first time last year on a party boat going out for salmon. We went up along the Marin coast, and being that close to the shore and having the swells perpendicular to the boat made for a rough ride. It had never been a problem before or since so I don't know what went wrong. Would never wish it on anybody though, and I wouldn't expect anyone to come back because of it.

I have read and seen some TV shows that talked about using ginger pills for motion sickness. There is some evidence that using ginger pills (found in the vitamin/dietary supplement section of your local store) can help with motion sickness. This may just be a placebo effect, but it can't hurt to try them out.

lookingforfish
04-26-2006, 10:50 AM
I had been married to my wife for 2 weeks. Just got off our honeymoon and had extra time before we both had to go back to school. I decided "lets go salmon fishing." We headed out to Monterey on a very stormy day. The skipper almost called the trip because of the large swells, but at the last minute decided that it would be OK. I have been out on charter boats a lot and have never gotten sick as long as I stay outside. My wife had never been out on a boat in the bay. 5 minutes out my new bride is puking her guts out. The captain says "oh well, we're not going back in." It was a full day trip with my wife in the cabin puking every minute. I, being the good new husband, put my rod and hers out to fish and head in to help her. Bad mistake; now I'm inside on one of the worst days I've ever seen. In no more than 5min. I'm puking as well and spent the rest of the trip sick. Good news we were the only ones to catch fish that trip, two very nice salmon. Worth it---I've never gotten my wife out on a boat again, and I have not been on a charter boat since then either.

TSL
04-26-2006, 12:03 PM
as skipper of your boat you have a responsibility to your crew!!!
you know the people you are taking out!!!
you know the weather conditions!!!
you know before you pull away from the dock whether your crew will have trouble!!!
pick the correct days for your crew!!!
it is up to you to show them a god time!!!
if you are a jerk and will not take care of your crew i have no respect for you!!!

fish alone

TSL

FishnRN
04-26-2006, 04:29 PM
as skipper of your boat you have a responsibility to your crew!!!
you know the people you are taking out!!!
you know the weather conditions!!!
you know before you pull away from the dock whether your crew will have trouble!!!
pick the correct days for your crew!!!
it is up to you to show them a god time!!!
if you are a jerk and will not take care of your crew i have no respect for you!!!

fish alone

TSL

Is it by choice that you fish alone, or because nobody wants to fish with you? :-? I always enjoy fishing with others, seems to be more fun and thats what I'm in it for. Heck, you know you can just go to Costco and buy fish on the weekend right?
To each their own I guess, have fun alone,
-Ben

Sardine
04-26-2006, 05:00 PM
They say it's the worst kind of sickness there is. :o

MB_Kevin
04-26-2006, 06:36 PM
This thread is sick [smiley=outcold.gif]
I haven't got sea sick on a trip yet but reading this made got me close. More description then I needed ;D

TSL
04-27-2006, 11:25 AM
Is it by choice that you fish alone, or because nobody wants to fish with you? * :-? * I always enjoy fishing with others, seems to be more fun and thats what I'm in it for. *Heck, you know you can just go to Costco and buy fish on the weekend right? *
To each their own I guess, have fun alone,
-Ben

i guarantee you...i am a jerk * :o
and no one wants to fish with me * :'(
and i like it that way :P

TSL

HUND
04-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Great Thread.

One of the worse times I had salmon fishing was on a charter boat out of Bodega. I was fine until someone next to me started chumming ..

That was it for me ... 20 guys on a boat someone will always puke

jon_may
04-28-2006, 07:21 AM
ya, i got sick 1 time on a full day trip, and there is nothing worse!
so now, i take dramamine the night before, and the morning of... i even take it the morning of if i'm fishing in sf bay ,just in case...
better safe than sorry!!

jbguzzi
04-28-2006, 09:54 AM
I take one bonine at night and one in the morning.

AND I make sure I :
1. dont drink more than 4 beers the night before if the swell is high
then maybe 5..jk
2. dont dring any coffee in the morning (hard rule to follow)
3. Mke sure I drop the kids off at the pool. :o
4. Keep focused on land if possible untill FISH ON!
5. don't complain

Even doing this I got sick fishing out near fort ross I think I violated rule number 1 and 2. I was out with Andy of the Sea Snake a few years ago, He had a 17 ft Whaler at the time, it was a bit bouncy, I puked a few times and they got it on video, pretty funny looking back. I stuck to rule number 4 and 5 and got through it and brought in some nice Lings.

I have found that eating BBQ chips works great! Maybe its the salt.

JB

65whaler
04-28-2006, 11:04 AM
great point - alcohol and caffeine are definitely bad news for those who get sick.

one of my friends who got sick last year had never been sea sick before in his life. the culprit? fog. that real thick mid summer no wind fog. 50 yard visibility - no horizon in sight so nothing to focus on. poor bugger [i was still mad as heck though].

still, no matter what, i'm convinced you catch more fish per person with more people on the boat ... so i'm going to keep my passengers. [i'll be taking their gas money too]

jgr7
04-28-2006, 07:16 PM
I'm an expert at getting sick ;D I never ask or would expect to be taken back. I've tried every thing and have been sick when using all of them. It depends on the swell the fog, tying on rigging or baiting up. My buddy used to let me drive the boat, that helped a lot but wasn't always foolproof he also did all the rigging and baiting, let me reel in fish when it was my pole that hooked up. *If we started fishing and caught fish right away that always helped. If the swell is small and 10-12 seconds apart Dramamine is just fine. The worst time I had was a long trip from Richmond to HMB following a party boat in the fog 2 1/2 hrs and I lost it. I thought my eyes were going to pop out of my head. Everyone always asks me why I go if I get sick, they just don't get it I guess. In the bay the Dramamine work good. I wear the patch on the cruise ships and never have any trouble at all. Just got back from a cruise from Puerto Rico all the way to Venezuela and back 12 days and never even thought about sickness.
The best advise I can give you, is if you are throwing up and you feel something lumpy and hairy in the back of your throat, swallow as fast as you can. It's your hairy arss hole coming up. ;D
Jeff

kromebrite
05-02-2006, 11:59 AM
I haven't got sea sick on a trip yet but reading this made got me close. *More description then I needed ;D
Did I mention the time I was out at Cordell Banks and there was a young woman who had eaten trix/froot loops or some such and then got sick?? It was like a slick of multi-colored dots on the surface. Truly a "technicolor yawn". ;D ;D That was the same trip I was laying on a 16 oz hex bar loaded with squid, weights and misc. goo and could care less
cuz *I was just as sick. :P

TSL, hey thanks for all the PM's offering to take me out on your boat! ;D ;D J/K of course, I would be hard-pressed to get offers after telling the world I have a tendancy towards being a puker :-[ :-X ;D

sethonious
05-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Chunk, chum... only a few letters different. If you can't hack it put a little extra bait in the water and hope someone will share fish. Me, I've never been sick in my life.

I'll never forget the time I went out with this meat head who was talking about the kill box and this and that. That morning for breakfast he ate carrots and canteloup. I have never seen such bright orange spew in my life. It was really gross but I still gave him 2 good size blue cod.

FishnRN
05-02-2006, 10:54 PM
I haven't got sea sick on a trip yet but reading this made got me close. *More description then I needed ;D

TSL, hey thanks for all the PM's offering to take me out on your boat! *;D ;D J/K of course, I would be hard-pressed to get offers after telling the world I have a tendancy towards being a puker :-[ :-X ;D

;D ;D ;D You vedy vedy funny man ;D ;D ;D

TSL
05-03-2006, 10:36 AM
i am thinking about changing my sig

how about

"we turn around when you pay the fuel"

;D

basil
05-05-2006, 04:12 PM
I had a guy out with me last Tuesday. He got sick, I made him ride it out.
I had 50 dollars in gas back and forth in the rig and 15 dollars in boat gas. Then there was 9 dollars in anchovies. PLus, there was me and one other passenger besides him. I don't see letting one guy ruin two peoples trip and stealing their time.

It is interesting to me that once a person gets sick they do all the right things to stay sick: look down in the boat, close their eyes or lay down.
The only time I've felt a bit sick has been when I spend too much time focusing on something small, like a screw I am tightening. Once I look up and look for somthing on the horizen to orient on I get over it.

One thing I did learn is next time I'll have some dramamine on the boat.

sethonious
05-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Dramamine takes a few hours for it to actually work its magic, however you can often get them on the placebo effect. I knew a captain that kept little precut squares of masking tape on an official looking sticker pad. He told them that if they stuck this tape behind the ear it would make them feel better. Then they get out of the funk, stand up, look at the horizon, breathe some fresh air and feel better. 90% success rate. I think a lot of seasickness is perception. If you think you'll get sick then you surely do. I even gave some guy on a party boat a generic asprin I had in my bag... the placebo worked in about 3 minutes.

andyow
05-10-2006, 08:36 PM
As a free/scuba diver and sometime fisherman, I have been sick many, many times. *As a dive master, I impressed the hell out of my students when I discreetly puked over the back of my surf mat and just kept kicking.

It's miserable! *Hate it! *And it has come to really limit the places I will go on a boat. *

I've tried everything and found that Dramamine 2 works, only if I start taking it the night before. *Ginger is useful only for making the vomit taste less noxious when it comes up. *

My dad virtually never ever gets sick, but it happened once on Lake Ontario in a bad storm. *He's an MD and retired navy man who claims that everyone can get sick if the right set of circumstances come together...the rhythm of the waves, the temperature, what's in your stomach, etc.