PDA

View Full Version : Striper/salmon rod recomendation?

stingray4540
06-14-2013, 06:53 AM
Well I'm new to striper fishing, but my dad has a friend who likes to go to the Delta a lot, so I picked up an ugly stick striper in med/light.

I would like to try for salmon/steelhead in the delta at some point as well.

I have a Penn 9 and a 209 with 15lb and 17lb respectively.

My question is: Is there a rod that would do well for both stripers and salmon/steelhead on the cheap? I know it won't be ideal for either, but I would like to minimize having exclusive gear for fishing I'll only do a couple times a year.

Also what reel would you put on what rod?

Thanks!

P.S. I didn't know if I should double post this in the striper and salmon/steely forum, or here in general, so hopefully the people will see this here.

FolsomFishing
06-14-2013, 07:13 AM
I have an 8'6 Clarius MH fast action with an Abu Garcia 6500c3. I love it and if you break it, you can do an over the counter exchange for $15 and get another

namjagerungbengi
06-14-2013, 09:57 AM
I just ordered this Lamiglas X-11 Salmon & Steelhead Spinning Rods - FishUSA.com - Fishing Tackle at America's Tackle Shop (http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Lamiglas-X11-Salmon--Steelhead-Spinning-Rods) as it was the most affordable quality product. It's pretty new and has good reviews. I ordered a 8'6" MH for surf fishing, but I want to try it for salmon/steelhead as well. I ordered the Okuma Trio 40 see here:Okuma Trio Spinning Reel Review | Fish with JD (http://www.fishwithjd.com/2011/02/22/okuma-trio-spinning-reel-review/) which should be just fine for Salmon/Steelhead (the review uses a size 30 and was fine). Just a suggestion if you're on a budget but want decent quality.

WhopperStopper
06-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Clarus is a great option. Ugly stik makes a 8'6" inshore model that would handle both salmon and stripers well. I think u can pick one up for about $60.

WhopperStopper
06-14-2013, 11:56 AM
As for a reel, you can't go wrong with an abu ambassadeur c3 or c4 6500 or 6501 if u want a left hand retrieve.

49erbassman
06-14-2013, 11:58 AM
What's your price range? Can't beat Clarus for $100

Fish on!

WhopperStopper
06-14-2013, 11:59 AM
If u want a spinning reel, shimano solstace is a killer reel for the price. I would suggest the 4000 size. You can pick one up for about $40

stingray4540
06-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Ok, how about cheap options? ~$50
Pretend I'm a 13 year old on his parents allowance, except I'm a 30 year old on his wife's allowance.

Also I'm looking for a casting rod to pair with one of the afore mentioned reels. The other reel will go on the US striper rod.

FolsomFishing
06-14-2013, 12:06 PM
A few of my buddies fish those species with Okuma SST's, I think one of those can be had for around $60? Maybe less.

FolsomFishing
06-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Nope I'm lying looks like it closer to $70

49erbassman
06-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Okuma makes a rod in that price range but can't think if the name. Look at the berkley lighting rods. Not sure if they come in an 8'6" but I love my 7' one. They used to run $75 but prices are around $40 now

Fish on!

redneckpunk
06-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Until earlier this year when I broke it (my stupidity not rod failure) I used my Ugly Stik CAS 1186 for both striper and salmon with no issues. It was paired with a Shimano 200TRG with 20lb red Cajun line. I replaced that rod with a 7'6" Ugly Stik striper rod for this year but have yet to catch anything trolling on it (only used couple hours do far). Its now paired with either the Shimano or a Shakespeare SKP-2000.

~RNP

Cali Duck
06-14-2013, 03:25 PM
I have an 8'6 Clarius MH fast action with an Abu Garcia 6500c3. I love it and if you break it, you can do an over the counter exchange for $15 and get another

What he said! @FolsomFishing: What pound/type of line you running?

FolsomFishing
06-14-2013, 03:28 PM
I run a 30lb powerpro mainline and then 12lb Pline CXXX leader.

49erbassman
06-14-2013, 03:32 PM
What ever you get if your casting all day get a light rod it makes a world of difference

Fish on!

Cali Duck
06-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Ok, how about cheap options? ~$50
Pretend I'm a 13 year old on his parents allowance, except I'm a 30 year old on his wife's allowance.

Also I'm looking for a casting rod to pair with one of the afore mentioned reels. The other reel will go on the US striper rod.

Hmmm, tough budget to work with, can you start saving cans/bottles on top of your $50 and save for the Shimano Clarus? It truly is a tough rod to beat for the price + lifetime warranty...But! Here's an option:

Okuma Steelhead Rod (http://amzn.to/11G0N7A)

Cali Duck
06-14-2013, 03:39 PM
I run a 30lb powerpro mainline and then 12lb Pline CXXX leader.

I'm buying a 6501C3 and still can't figure out what line I want to put on it...its either 30lb. Power Pro or good ole' 14lb Big Game...

49erbassman
06-14-2013, 03:47 PM
I'm not a fan of round bait casting reels I prefer low profile but you can't beat the Abu 5500 or 6500 (5501 or 6501 if your lefty reel like me) for the quality and price.

Fish on!

Cali Duck
06-14-2013, 03:53 PM
I'm not a fan of round bait casting reels I prefer low profile but you can't beat the Abu 5500 or 6500 (5501 or 6501 if your lefty reel like me) for the quality and price.

Fish on!

True that! Really depends on how your fishin: Bank or boat. The 6500 is heavy and will tire you out, where as low profile stuff is lighter weight, but won't give ya as much line to work with when trolling.

Cali Duck
06-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Well I'm new to striper fishing, but my dad has a friend who likes to go to the Delta a lot, so I picked up an ugly stick striper in med/light.

I would like to try for salmon/steelhead in the delta at some point as well.

I have a Penn 9 and a 209 with 15lb and 17lb respectively.

My question is: Is there a rod that would do well for both stripers and salmon/steelhead on the cheap? I know it won't be ideal for either, but I would like to minimize having exclusive gear for fishing I'll only do a couple times a year.

Also what reel would you put on what rod?

Thanks!

P.S. I didn't know if I should double post this in the striper and salmon/steely forum, or here in general, so hopefully the people will see this here.

Now that I'm looking back on my fishing experience, I used a 7' Shakespeare Catfish Combo w/30# PowerPro Braid to catch my first striper, my first steelhead, AND my first salmon! So that being said, sure, it may not be the best tool for the job, but it worked and I've never busted my braided line..just some food for thought. I also have 2 reels: 12lb Ultragreen on one and 30# Powerpro on the other..maybe just by a second reel?

TL;DR: Try braided line on your existing setup?

shasta_steve
06-14-2013, 04:05 PM
I just ordered this Lamiglas X-11 Salmon & Steelhead Spinning Rods - FishUSA.com - Fishing Tackle at America's Tackle Shop (http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Lamiglas-X11-Salmon--Steelhead-Spinning-Rods) as it was the most affordable quality product. It's pretty new and has good reviews. I ordered a 8'6" MH for surf fishing, but I want to try it for salmon/steelhead as well. I ordered the Okuma Trio 40 see here:Okuma Trio Spinning Reel Review | Fish with JD (http://www.fishwithjd.com/2011/02/22/okuma-trio-spinning-reel-review/) which should be just fine for Salmon/Steelhead (the review uses a size 30 and was fine). Just a suggestion if you're on a budget but want decent quality.

I was in Fisherman's Warehouse today looking for a jigging rod for salmon and I really liked the X-11 LX-79. The rod I really liked was the Pro but then again it was well over twice as much. This salmon season is getting expensive pretty quick.

I have a couple of Ugly Stik 1186 rods too. They are great for trolling or bait fishing but are pretty much heavy clubs when you try and do any casting with them.

stingray4540
06-14-2013, 06:20 PM
You guys are killing me!
All right, I'll take a look at some of the suggestions, cheap and expensive...
Not that I can't afford it, I just get tired of the wife hounding me. Like my daughter needs an education. Fishing gear is more important!
I mean really, what's she gonna remember more? That I paid out my arse for her braces or her first 20lb salmon?!

P.S. for those suggesting reals, that is the reason I'm looking for a second rod. I have a Penn 9 and a Penn 209. There are probably better reals, but these old beauties are what I have, so they will get used.