PDA

View Full Version : Trout slow ... crawdads good

saizo
06-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Headed up the hill to try something new. Tossed the poles out with power bait. Six bites all day but caught all six between the two of us. Orange and green pb nothing worthy of any pics. Threw some traps out just for fun and they kept us busy for most of the day. Time to boil some water... Lol14982

Swimbaitjunkie
06-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Got your self a 2 for 1 deal.....but I tear up them craw daddy's any day.....NICE!!!!!!

XPL051v3
06-15-2013, 05:23 AM
Headed up the hill to try something new. Tossed the poles out with power bait. Six bites all day but caught all six between the two of us. Orange and green pb nothing worthy of any pics. Threw some traps out just for fun and they kept us busy for most of the day. Time to boil some water... Lol14982

Looks like some good eatin' crawdads! I've never had any luck the times I have used the trap for crawdads. What do you put in the trap usually to catch them? Maybe i'm not going in the right spots to get them.

-Xzi

saizo
06-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Cat or dog food worked the best for us. But we had trout guts and some cut fish bait in some. Everything worked just the cat/dog food outfished everything.

crawdaddundee
06-15-2013, 11:39 AM
If you don't mind me asking, where were you fishing at? thanks jack

FresnoJack
06-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Screw the trout!

Hand over the crawdads and no one gets hurt!

saizo
06-16-2013, 11:54 AM
If I spill the beans where I caught them at crawdadundee, with your commercial skills they will be fished out in no time lol. We have a boys only camping trip coming up after that I might be persuaded to let you know where my honey hole is at. Hehe

crawdaddundee
06-16-2013, 05:21 PM
If I spill the beans where I caught them at crawdadundee, with your commercial skills they will be fished out in no time lol. We have a boys only camping trip coming up after that I might be persuaded to let you know where my honey hole is at. Hehe

First, you cannot legally fish crawdads commercially in lakes. It is against state law.
Second, I haven;t commercially fished for crawdads for over 15 years and do not intend to any time soon. Third, I am in no way going to abuse any population of crawdads that exist in any body of water as it is not possible to do so with a couple of traps. The reason I asked you where this took place was because I have found that crawdads are really in decline from the time that I came from and am happy to hear that they are doing well somewhere. Like lake natomas for example. Use to have huge amounts of craws and now they are barely existing there any more and I do not know why. Surely not from over fishing.. So with that said you can keep your little secret and I will not bother you anymore.

danweasel
06-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Ow, his butt.

-Dan

BigUnInDaBoat
06-17-2013, 08:29 PM
First, you cannot legally fish crawdads commercially in lakes. It is against state law.
Second, I haven;t commercially fished for crawdads for over 15 years and do not intend to any time soon. Third, I am in no way going to abuse any population of crawdads that exist in any body of water as it is not possible to do so with a couple of traps. The reason I asked you where this took place was because I have found that crawdads are really in decline from the time that I came from and am happy to hear that they are doing well somewhere. Like lake natomas for example. Use to have huge amounts of craws and now they are barely existing there any more and I do not know why. Surely not from over fishing.. So with that said you can keep your little secret and I will not bother you anymore.

Actually the native signal crawfish are well and good in many lakes and streams that I know of. As you should of noticed they are not red swampys. That alone should give you a decent idea of where they were caught. Crawdads are not in decline, and are very, very abundant. Ask the rice farmers of the valley how much the crayfish have declined...I'm sure you'll have a very different opinion after that or have been in a fight with a farmer :)

saizo
06-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Wow looks like I hurt someone's feelings lol. I was just joking sheesh. This was my first attempt at crawdads. But I'm going to have to tell you that I'm hooked. We boiled those with a little vinegar and zatarans crab and shrimp boil with a dash of salt. And we sautÚd three dozen of the biggest ones with garlic herbs and butter. With five people eating, the dads disappeared in twenty minutes. Good beer good company and most of all good memories...

raratt
06-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Actually the native signal crawfish are well and good in many lakes and streams that I know of. As you should of noticed they are not red swampys. That alone should give you a decent idea of where they were caught. Crawdads are not in decline, and are very, very abundant. Ask the rice farmers of the valley how much the crayfish have declined...I'm sure you'll have a very different opinion after that or have been in a fight with a farmer :)

Went out with an ice chest with my kids once where they were draining rice fields. We were catching them by hand in the canals and almost filled the ice chest. We quit because we were also feeding a multitude of mosquitos.

woolybuggin
06-20-2013, 03:23 PM
All this talk about craw dads makes me wanna get out and catch some. Never done it before but I love crawdads and haven't had any iin years!