PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a rookie

*Deltadog*
05-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Hey, I'm a delta veteran, but am wishing to expand my horizons a bit. Can anyone give me some tips on where to go surf fishing for perch, striper, etc. Also, how to rig up and jigs, bait, etc. I am a complete rookie, but that surf perch fishing looks like fun. With some nice scenery to boot.
Dog

CenCoast_Angler
05-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Surf perch fishing can be good at a number of beaches...from Monterey all the way up the coast(OK...its good down the coast too). The best way to get started is to rig up a sliding sinker setup. Use about 1-2oz of weight (depending on swell conditions) and a 18-24 inch leader with a curly tail grub. The grub s/b 1.5-3 inches long. The most popular color seems to be Motor Oil with Red Flake. I think the best ones are made by Kalins and Berkley. Use a moderate sized hook, maybe size 4...?

Look for ususual breaks in the swell, like trophs or rips. That is where their food is concentrated, usually sandcrabs. Sometimes you won't see any weird wave action. You'll just have to walk the shore casting every 10-15 feet. You don't really need to cast out very far...sometimes they are in 1-2 feet of water. Waders help a lot, unless you're in So Cal and its warm. Lucky SOBs!

If you want to kick back and lounge on the beach you can throw bait out on a hi-lo rig and stick your rod in a sand spike. The best bait seems to be live sandcrabs, bloodworms, pileworms, or shrimp. This can be a very relaxing way to spend the day at the beach...but not usually as productive as tossing grubs.

I'd reccomend a 7-9 foot medium light action rod with a spinning reel and 10-14 lb test line. They are great fun on light tackle!

Good luck, and BTW, where are you planning to fish?

PK

*Deltadog*
05-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Don't know yet for sure. Can you recommend any places between Stinson Beach and Bodega Bay?
Dog

*Deltadog*
05-05-2006, 09:33 AM
Hi-Lo rig? Is that considered a surf leader? And with the grubs, is it a sliding rig like for striper? And do you jig them or let them sit?
* Dog

Rock_Hopper
05-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Yes - Hi/Lo rig is a surf leader, and Carolina Rig = mainline with egg sinker --> swivel --> leader --> hook.

Good beaches in Bodega Area = The beaches near Bolinas, all of the beaches along Point Reyes (especially Limantour and Kehoe), The stretch of beach running south from Doran Park, Bodega Dunes, North and South Salmon Creek, Carmet Beach (rocky, tough to grub), North Portuguese Beach, Wright's Beach, and North and South Goat Rock.

Rock_Hopper
05-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Oh yeah, for grubs - just cast out and reel in slow. A lot of hits will come very close to shore, sometimes right at your feet.

*Deltadog*
05-05-2006, 10:26 AM
If you had to pick one beach in that area, where would you recommend I go? Anyone please....
Dog

Fish_R_Us
05-05-2006, 10:48 AM
You know, when I use to do the freshwater persuits, it was always spend more, hurry to get there, rush to get to the area, deal with other (sometimes uptight) people, etc. It seemed like I wasn't getting enough bang for my buck. Now that I hang mostly along the coast, I can be there all day, catch nothing, and still feel better about it. The people out there seem to be more relaxed. Also it's sort of a crapshoot because you might be using tackle/bait for a particular species and then WHAMO, hook/catch something else completely unexpected. I know there's still alot of competition like dealing with the salmon fleet but it seems like more of a minority than a majority. Even within a day trip, you have at least 1 hi/low tide change and that you are able to change tactics or just sit back and observe the 180 degree changes. There's also alot more wildlife to observe. It seems like the right Rx for me. I'm not saying that it's for everybody but all I can say is give it a try. At least It might expend your horizons and put you more in sync with mother nature and this planet we call Earth.

TSL
05-05-2006, 11:01 AM
now you know why i like to fish alone

no hurries
no worries

TSL

CenCoast_Angler
05-05-2006, 01:00 PM
I'm not all that familiar with the beaches up that way but...one thing to consider is the oncoming south swell.
Sometimes swell direction can determine which beaches will get hit hard and which might be a little more mellow.

I'd do whatever Rock Hopper says because he seems to know the score. Kehoe sounds like a good place to start.

Another resource for that area would be Mark's Surf Fish page: http://home.att.net/~surf.perch/Reports06.html

This guy is awesome. Epic reports.

Good luck,
PK

PK

MB_Kevin
05-05-2006, 06:50 PM
CenCoast_Angler
Just have to say that is one sweet cabezone in the pic. I have a pic of me and my daughter with a 19 inch one in the fishsniffer mag this issue but that one looks bigger!

Deltadog you might want to check out the old surf striper thread on the salt water board. If you sift through all the junk there is alot of info in there and other posts here on this board.

wading2fish
05-06-2006, 01:49 PM
nice job gettin into the mag MB! I gotta get me an issue. that was one sweet blue cabbie.