PDA

View Full Version : New Brighton 4/18/06

h00kie
04-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Just wanted to share a pic of what my son and I plucked off the beach at New Brighton today.

It weighed 15#
http://www.yourfishpictures.com/data/500/surftuna.JPG

CJC
04-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Woa!!! hOOkie, right off the beach??? :o :o :o

MB_Kevin
04-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Dang. Nice job you 2. That is a great catch. ;)

fishfearme
04-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Reeling in from 30+ miles out must have been tough ;)

Rusty_Hooks
04-19-2006, 12:46 PM
No way....that's amazing

They require a fairly warm water.....wasup with that?

Long cast?.... ;D ;D

http://207.111.197.187/s2sradio/website/goldengate.aspx#coastalmarineforecast

Take a look at the water temperature signatures from goes 10 sat.

60-64 degrees off the beach from HMB to the golden gate...WOW!!

Hookie.......Plugging?...red&white??

Mickey_Thomas
04-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Dang hOOkie, way to go, that's a catch of a lifetime off the beach. With the water temps so hot the Tuna just might come in close this year 8-) I like Tuna [smiley=chowtime.gif] ;D ;D ;D Amazing [smiley=mermaid.gif] [smiley=mermaid.gif] [smiley=mermaid.gif]

ghostfish_slayer
04-19-2006, 05:06 PM
you gotta be kiddin..i wonder if they are going to be migrating up the san lo soon.

h00kie
04-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Surprised the heck out me, but it's for real. Who would have thought that they come so close to shore.
Scouted the other beaches out there and saw at least one other bait ball 1/4 mile off shore. Water was definitely warm enough to wade in shorts.

wading2fish
04-19-2006, 05:38 PM
WOW!! anybody else catchin' em off the beach? awesome. :o

ghostfish_slayer
04-19-2006, 05:50 PM
i have heard of it one other time many years ago..

CJC
04-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Did you get that on a spoon? I can't believe it. good job hOOkie!!! [smiley=mind-blowing.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif]

h00kie
04-19-2006, 06:25 PM
I was kinda hesitant to post this on the board cuz it is something that would definitely raise an eyebrow. Even with pictures of it, there will be some that would question its authenticity. I've been a member of this board for a while now and got nothing to prove to anyone. Those who knows me knows I'm genuine and wouldn't even think about posting something like this, much less a pic of it w/ my son, if it weren't true.

So thanks to those that gave props [smiley=thumbsup.gif] & *[smiley=nana.gif] to those that don't believe it.

BTW, the catch of the day was a sole 8" barred surf perch that my son caught. He outfishes me again & says that since tuna isn't in the perch family that it doesn't count. ;D ;D I guess in his eyes, he's still the better fisherman.

Double_D
04-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Wow...I wish I was there to see the look on your face :D...good job h00kie, that is a catch of a life time. ;)

CJC
04-19-2006, 06:39 PM
You have got my vote of confidence hOOkie, and for those who don't know him, I'll tell you that the man has a fish-thumb. I just coined a new phrase... :o [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ghostfish_slayer
04-19-2006, 06:53 PM
to think i was so close to going down there yesterday and doing a little scouting for you know what.

Double_D
04-19-2006, 06:59 PM
You have got my vote of confidence hOOkie, and for those who don't know him, I'll tell you that the man has a fish-thumb. I just coined a new phrase... :o [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Yup....I've had the pleasure to have fished with h00kie also, if anyone is going to get fish it's him........once again grate job....Joe ;)

Rusty_Hooks
04-19-2006, 07:32 PM
The water temperature sattelite shots still show the area from south of santa cruz to around the gate at 60-64 degrees and occaisional spots even warmer than that.

Rip tops with red and white hair raisers or red and white top liners

916 should hear about this....wood with a tail!!

wading2fish
04-19-2006, 07:35 PM
h00kie, I just read this thread over again and don't really see any posts that question the validity of your post and catch. I for one don't have the smallest doubt you caught that off the beach. Is it rare? yes. Impossible? of course not. Great job. To me that is what fishing is all about, the excitement of catching something out of the ordinary. Awesome job h00kie!

Double_D
04-19-2006, 07:47 PM
W2F...it might be time for some of us east bay boys to make a road trip ;)

I like the idea of plugging the surf and not putting on waders :)

Rusty_Hooks
04-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Skiff time!! ;)

PlugROCKSTAR
04-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Joe. You guys were Fishing the Surf for Perch? Did you catch that on your Perch Rig or were you plugging to Stripes? with WOOD?

Nice Catch Bro. I'm jealous. :'( :-[ ;D

wading2fish
04-19-2006, 08:28 PM
that sounds like a good idea DD, especially with this weather warming up. and New Brighton is really not that far from the East Bay. It's only about an hour away from my house in Hayward. ;)

tuara37
04-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Superb! Congrats! Good Job! * *Well, the ocean is like a box of chocolate you never know what you gonna get (or catch) ;)

So you aim for perch you get tuna, next time I'll aim for tuna *;D

Hhhhhmmmm I wonder whats for stripers * :-?

tuara37
04-19-2006, 08:40 PM

Good idea you guys head south I'll stay north watching your hot spots, I'll call you if there's sign of stripes, promise you call me too.....Ok so where's your hot spots *;D

CJC
04-19-2006, 08:44 PM

Good idea you guys head south I'll stay north watching your hot spots, I'll call you if there's sign of stripes, promise you call me too.....Ok so where's your hot spots ;D

Tuara37, I see no reason why you could not target the tuna in Pacifica also. If you look at those temperature charts, it's just as warm up there than in New Brighton. Plus I am pretty sure that the warm spots change daily if not hourly.

wading2fish
04-19-2006, 08:48 PM
good point compadre. I just might head south, or north, this weekend just because it is time for me to explore and fish new areas outside the Pacifica/HMB area. but you're right, the water temp is not going to be that different in Pacifica than in New Brighton. I am gonna target rockfish from shore, but will have my striper gear just in case. but what about tuna gear? I wonder if h00kie will be kind enough to let us know what he caught that tuna on?

put_em_back
04-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Hey Hookie, thats quite the catch there...the closest I've been to a tuna from shore was bonita in the early 80s. You definitely da man.

Did you catch it on your favorite color pencil?

h00kie
04-19-2006, 09:34 PM
We did go down the beach w/ perch rigs. I baited our hooks w/ market shrimp but he wasn't ready to fish yet (rather dig his hands in the sand) so I switched to my striper set-up. Started throwing my assortment of striper goodies but finally settled w/ a 2oz mickey.

I'll be out prowling around in the surf again tomorrow. The weather is too nice to be behind the desk. Let's go get 'em ;D

godson
04-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Nice catch , how much per pound is it at Pacific Super specially whole. ;D By the way I'm ready for some black bass. See you soon.

Rusty_Hooks
04-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Temperature looks better up around pidgeon point....8:25 am

It almost looks like 64-66 degrees....good luck guys. ;)

ghostfish_slayer
04-20-2006, 04:01 PM
i heard somthing from a beach 2 miles north of there.a person i know who lives on the beach said he saw a person catch somthing that made him look a little closer.he said it had long fins and looked like a small tuna about 12 lbs.caught right in front of his house..he is from hawaii and is used to seeing larger ones..wouldn't that be a somthing..

triggerfish
04-20-2006, 08:39 PM
The date on the temp.image is 9/5/05. I would doubt.that the temp.is above 53-54 deg. something dosent seem right. :-/

ghostfish_slayer
04-20-2006, 09:11 PM
if you look at that pic the blood is still dripping from it's ripped gills and there are drops of blood on hookie's son's shirt and shorts.

Rusty_Hooks
04-21-2006, 06:11 AM
Can it be???.......

Do I smell Brown trout......

My guess on the date is it's an embedded date...that site is updates more than once a day.....

I will pursue the date on the heat sig....in the meantime...

That is one very nice fish Hookie, I hope you and your son had a great time and I look forward to some striper action this year...and lots of striper stories from you and the beach crew.

knowing that was what he was thinking down there...after all...IT IS THE SEASON ;)

recs1 JBF
04-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Great job h00kie!!! Hopefully we get into some of those in a couple of weeks. See ya at the beach.

Know_Excuses
04-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Seems more likely that an albie caught on a beach in monterey bay was tossed from one person to another than caught in a traditional sense. If that fish was caught on rod and reel (and alive at the time), it was one really lost albacore.

LOL There ALWAYS has to be one ::) Nice catch hookie.

h00kie
04-21-2006, 06:25 PM
It's completely OK to have doubt about the whole thing but it still doesn't change the fact.
What counts is that my son & I shared a spectacular event together. That's never gonna be taken away or forgotten ;)

Once again thanks to those that showed support & even the ribbing *cough* godson *cough*. This be my last post on this thread. Unless of course I land another one ;D ;D

HawaiianHooker
04-21-2006, 07:03 PM
I hope you do get another one h00kie, or better yet yer son. He's going to remember this for the rest of his life.

Good on ya man.

blue_chrush
04-21-2006, 08:10 PM
Just wanted to share a pic of what my son and I plucked off the beach at New Brighton today.

the big word here is PLUCKED
which means you didn't catch it with a pole line or lure....
you never said you caught it...you plucked it...
the internet is teaming with guys that are all over this.....
and there is no way as I'm in santa cruz and something
like this would not get passed the local buzz.....
and everyone heard of it but no one saw it or
even belives it to be true as far as catching one....
finding one yes, catching it no way.......
the fished is blead out and pale and no color in the head...
this fish washed up on shore and was plucked out of the surf....

nice try... [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

blue_chrush
04-21-2006, 08:19 PM
http://coastside.ridgeworksinc.com/albums/tuna/Tim_Derooi_Blue_Fin_081805.sized.jpg *

this is a fresh caught albacore......
see anything different....
the color of a fresh one is darker and brighter.....
or maybe it was just the lighting......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

you be the judge....... :-/

http://www.yourfishpictures.com/data/500/surftuna.JPG

CJC
04-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Blue Crush,

I personally think it would be pretty stupid to pull a hoax like this. Just think about it. How much does tuna costs in the market? $7.00/lb? X15 that is $105.00. Would someone spend that kind of money to buy a hole fish just to pull a plank? Mind you that that tuna is going to last a long time feeding the family. And I would not feed that to the young kid because of the mercury. Do I want to go through that kind of hassle just to have people on the internet give me a thumbs up? I really don't have time for that. I think hOOkie doesn't either. He probably was too busy casting to the surf to worry about things like that. But you guys that have the doubts, do you think you would spend that kind of time and money for a stunt like that?
About the freshness of a fish by looking at the picture, I don't think that you could say one way or the other. You took your picture in a different light. If you had the fish side by side at the same light then I might agree. But you did not. Besides, fish in the early spring or winter is lighter in color than in the summer. When did you catch your fish?
I think that you should give a fellow sniffer a benefit of a doubt as I see no reason to doubt hOOkies veracity. It may be mind blowing, but why not?

BTW, water temperature in Monterrey is 58 degrees today:

http://tidesonline.nos.noaa.gov/plotcomp.shtml?station_info=9413450+Monterey,+CA

blue_chrush
04-21-2006, 09:53 PM
I don't doubt he plucked it from the surf like he said.....

cause there are boats outside catching tuna at 25mi.....
and one could have washed up on the beach......
its not only me, come on, I have lived here my whole life
and there has not been one recorded tuna catch on the beach....
come on....that is about as rare as catching a black sea bass
of the beach....both species live in deep water.....
Bonita, barracuda, sierra, ok, I have caught them there
in years past.....
ask todd fraiser at bayside marine one of your sponsors......
or better yet Ed Burrell of capitola bait and tackle,
he too has fished these waters all his life and seen alot
of fish come off the beachs as well as the skiffs out here..
I argued the point for about 3 min and backed down....

I'm not saying he was lying......he plucked it from the surf...
that's not fishing, that's finding a fish in the surf at the beach....

quote......
What counts is that my son & I shared a spectacular event together. That's never gonna be taken away or forgotten

"you have *hookie come back and say it was caught by
line/hook on a lure from a pole while casting ....."

not once in all the replies
did he say he caught it while fishing.....I read them all....

CJC
04-21-2006, 10:09 PM
I don't need to tell him to do anything. It is you that don't believe. But back in the years when El Nino was here, I was fishing outside of the bay in Santa Cruz less than a 1/4 mile off shore. The tuna were zinging all arround us that day. I had no idea of how to catch one and all we had was squid and anchovies so we never had a chance at them. If they could be seen that close to shore, what make you think that they would not come to the beach and feed? I know you have seen the sea more than I did. But I know what I saw that day and it was an incredible sight.
I have nothing to gain by making you a believer so I'll just drop this here. But I do know hOOkie and I have to say he has never given me a reason to doubt him.

Tight lines!

sitka
04-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Yea this is my first post on the "new" fishsniffer...so of course I shouldn't be taken seriously. The only reason I registered was to chime in on this thread.

Sure a lot of strange things happen on the ocean.....that most folks would not believe unless they saw it. This "tuna in the surf" is one of the more amusing hoaxes to come along in quite a while. I have to hand it to the person who posted it....he is sitting back counting how many people are buzzing about it. Some believing it, some not.

There are so many circumstantial things that would make it untrue....from the dirty water in close, to the cold water in between there & any real tuna water. The most obvious.....to any person who really has caught many tuna.....is the pink-shade of a sore on the head. The skin has been worn away...it was sitting on a hard surface for some time. So it was either frozen & thawed, or maybe it was on the deck of a boat a looooong ways away, and fell overboard & floated onto the beach. But that fish was not caught fresh within a few hours.

Oh I suppose there is a.....one in a billion chance that the tuna was caught there, and then badly mis-handled so it looks many hours old instead of fresh.

The human nature of a fisherman is a funny thing. So many people WANT this to be true for whatever reason.....such as...they are jonesing for tuna, and looking for any sign that the tuna might appear early & close this year.

My sincere congratulations......for concocting the best fish story (so far) of 2006.

blue_chrush
04-21-2006, 10:26 PM
the tuna you saw were Bonita.......
I know I caught them and have the pics to prove it.....40 in the boat
not tuna.....
no tuna were ever caught inside the 2mi buoys.....
and as for making me a believer....

I believe he plucked it like he said.......
that's all....

peace out.......

h00kie
04-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Well, well. I'm called to testify.

I assume, since this is the 1st tuna that I ever caught on a line and reel, that it is normal for one to trash violently. The ripped gills is a result of a failed attempt to beach the fish and moving it away from incoming surf by grabbing under it's gill plate as I normally do when landing a striper in the surf. Color difference, yes. Have you ever had a tuna trash around on the sand? Scales fall off so the sheen that was has now fallen off. There were many eyes on the beach that day, mainly youngens asking if they "could pet it" and "what kind of fish is it". They seen the fish alive and trashing around. No other fisherman was in sight except for a kayak fisherman that launched from the beach as we got there. BTW, we left around 15 minutes after landing the fish because of all the flies that gathered on the blood that splattered on sand & I wanted to get the thing on ice since it was drying out fast from the direct exposure from the sun.

Again, I don't have to convince you or anyone else. Just merely sharing a pic of our catch. I used the word plucked cuz I was trying to play with words. Pluck as "Chicken of the Sea".

As that famous person said, whoever he is. "Nuff Said"

blue_chrush
04-21-2006, 10:44 PM
As that famous person said, whoever he is. "Nuff Said"
-------------------------------------------------------------------
[smiley=winkfs.gif] *[smiley=laugh.gif]

recs1 JBF
04-21-2006, 11:47 PM
h00kie let those non-believers talk all they want. *They don't know you and what kind of fisherman you are. *Only the guy's that fish with you know your character and are proud to fish beside you. *We have fished many times together and I have seen you catch alot of fish. *I have no doubt about the story you told me. *I just wish I was there with you so I could take those great action shots like last season.

TSL
04-22-2006, 09:05 AM
i have not replied on this thread yet
:o

TSL

The_Reel_Won
04-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Hmmm what happen to its long fin Blue? ;) Kinda looks like a baby blue fin to me. *I'd kinda like to think he caught it live and that we will be seeing more posts regarding ablies and discover a inshore fishery for this season. ;D *Anyway great pic! *Heres a albacore with long fins..LoL ;D
http://www.yourfishpictures.com/data/578/medium/NicKi_Sushi.JPG

http://coastside.ridgeworksinc.com/albums/tuna/Tim_Derooi_Blue_Fin_081805.sized.jpg *

this is a fresh caught albacore......
see anything different....
the color of a fresh one is darker and brighter.....
or maybe it was just the lighting......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

you be the judge....... :-/

http://www.yourfishpictures.com/data/500/surftuna.JPG *

ekastlhd
04-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Like sitka, this thread inspired a newbie to post. First, blues' example of a fresh caught albacore is indeed an adult bluefin. *Second, what is that fish that hOOkie's kid "caught" in the surf. *Is that thing really an albie? *The pec fins seem too short and thin to be an albacore. *Could be the angle of the fins in the pic. *Regardless, third, no way that guy caught an albie in the surf. *I think it's been previously mentioned, but such an anomolous fish would seem to warrant a thourough explanation/story. *Give us one if your not full of it. *You started it, give us the goods, holmes! *Sorry, the burden of proof is on you. *You are too reticent on the issue to be convincing. *Can't really think of a reason for someone to fake this, but it takes all kinds. *

CJC
04-22-2006, 10:44 PM
Can't believe you guys sign up just to tell someone he is a lier. [smiley=tongue2.gif]

ghostfish_slayer
04-22-2006, 11:52 PM
i have lived here all my life also and have fished for those things in our bay dating back to 1984.there have been stranger things caught in our bay.as for the color.the fish looks like every other one i have ever seen just after death,blead out.purple blue.just with a little sand.which would stick to any fish when you drag it up on the beach..i too have fished with him and feel he would not do a prank like that. therefore i believe him.you guys could cap on him all you want.thats on you..you never know what you might catch someday or where you might catch it in our bay.i have a picture of my dad with a dorado caught a few miles out in our bay also..i can also say the water is not dirty and it is warm enough to wear shorts.i was down that way today..my legs and feet were not cold one bit.

Earlyo
04-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Hookie, That is the most amazing catch that I have ever heard of! Congrats! By the way, how did you eat your catch? Sushi for days, grilled? And how was it? Nice picture!

Hogsbro
04-23-2006, 03:21 PM
The "burden of proof"? This is a forum about saltwater fishing not a court of law, and nobody is on trial. I see a picture of a fish on the beach, with his son holding a fish. That is good enough for me, and it should be good enough for everybody else. Enough said!

Rusty_Hooks
04-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Anybody got some charcoal starter ::) ;D ;)

ken_fishnfool
04-24-2006, 08:05 AM
What a catch hOOkie!!! Like I said a "once in a lifetime thing"!
Having fished with you I don't doubt you just might go get another one, or three! ;D ;D ;D

Once again you have shown me you are one of those truely blessed by the fishgods!

Ignore the negativity and questioning and just bask in the glow of knowing you let your son outfish daddy again, while having a little fun yourself!

Thanks for sharing.
It might be one of those strange years with stuff like barracuda and horse mackerals showing up like they did back in the big El Nino.
I saw albies and cudas come in right from the Cement Boat.
You've tempted me to buy some iron and wood and find out for myself! ;)

FishinFool408
04-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Wow! Nice fish h00kie!!! :o When I got your call, I figured that you were pulling my leg with the "didn't you get my pic?" line you gave over the phone! When meeting you shortly after, I was a firm believer! Only you would "catch" that kind of fish in the surf! Congrats man! The real question is, "where's my sashimi?" ;)
And about all you naysayers....you guys are all jokes!!! :P Opinions are like a-holes and everyone has their own, but who are you to question someone else's character? I've known and fished with h00kie more than anyone on this board and know, without a doubt, that he would not post a pic of a fish on the boards had he not caught it. For you that created an ID just to come on here and slander h00kie about the fish he landed, get a life and allow him to enjoy his moment! >:( I think they call it jealousy!
Once again h00kie, great "CATCH"!!!!!

CenCoast_Angler
04-24-2006, 11:18 AM
WOW!
Now that is the most amazing thing I have ever seen! A 15# albie caught from the shore...at New Brighton beach.

I don't really know what to think. Is this real? Is this a photoshop job? Would Hookie (someone whom I've never had the pleasure to meet but greatly respect, due to his honest, straight-forward reports of prolific fishing) post a misleading picture/report?

I mean, it seems quite strange. Especially since Chris' and Randy's aren't even running albacore trips right now. I've paid up to $150 to go out 20-35 miles to catch em. And the past couple years have been awful for tuna fishing.

Granted, my opinion is usually of the pessimistic nature...but I don't believe it.
Hookie doesn't owe any kind of an explanation to anyone. But please, if you want to disprove the non-believers (like myself) then you should probably post another, different pic of this magnificent fish. Surely, you took more than one photo. I would've used up the memory card/roll of film on that beast. And I definitely wouldn't have left 15 minutes after catching it. I'd probably stay there, casting into the surf until midnight.

Please forgive me if it sounds like I'm persecuting Hookie (because, like I said "I have a huge amount of respect for him"). However, it must be acknowledged that this seems VERY fishy.
Like this picture of me holding up the biggest striper ever caught in the surf...http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6551/mystriper4ay.th.jpg (http://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mystriper4ay.jpg)

Regardless, it IS a nice sized albie.
PK

The_Reel_Won
04-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Like this picture of me holding up the biggest striper ever caught in the surf

Nice spinning reel!! Van Staal?
;D

CenCoast_Angler
04-24-2006, 11:35 AM
I believe it is a VS300, silver.
PK

h00kie
04-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Cen Angler,
Here's one from my cell that I sent to FF408 right before we left. Left the beach to my sis-in-law's house to borrow a bigger cooler. Did head down to the harbor area after, then off to the wharf for some chowder.
http://www.yourfishpictures.com/data/500/medium/surftuna_0_.JPG

MFresh
04-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Excellent Catch Hookie! *Did you also buy a lotto ticket that day?

Anyways, Congrats Hope to see you and Noodle Rod at the beach.

h00kie
04-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Excellent Catch Hookie! *Did you also buy a lotto ticket that day?

Anyways, Congrats Hope to see you and Noodle Rod at the beach.
Actually, I was in two pools at work before I had the week off. Told them not to call me even if we won the mega jackpot. Wanted to enjoy the vacation, and I did. Came back to work today already feeling like a million bucks from this catch and a new PB largemouth.
BTW, Noodle was shopping around for a new surf stick so it looks like he'll be out w/ us this season again.

Cen_Angler,
Did snap 2 other quick pics w/ the digital. Those will not make it on the board as I am regretting the fact that my son's face is all over this "controversial" subject. Don't exactly know what you are looking for... photoshop of what??? the fish and him on a charter boat? The fact of the matter is I will never convince the skeptics. Seems like they would only be convinced if they witnessed the catch personally. They can dismiss the whole thing as a hoax but that don't change me none - a helluva lucky anger! ;D

CenCoast_Angler
04-24-2006, 01:57 PM
I am starting to come around...it just seemed so strange at first.
I've been here my whole life, fishing since the age of 3 and never even heard of anyone ever catching an albie in the surf.

Well, I guess there is a first for everything...

New Brighton huh? I may have to go do some "perch" fishing this wknd!
I can only imagine how exciting it must have been to try to pull an albie through the surf -- Its hard enough on a boat.
WELL DONE!

OK. I'm a believer now. And very jealous!

PK

jon_may
04-24-2006, 02:13 PM
hookie. i believe it, but one thing i want to know is , how was the fight? bet that bad dog took you for a serious ride! congrats on the GREAT catch!
-me

robert_long
04-24-2006, 02:14 PM
YES YES YES... what a catch. Tuna is sooo good. You are just the fishing fool to catch that tuna. Well done. Great story, better fight than a LMB.

Robert

Double_D
04-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Yeah h00kie most of us are believers, I really need to know how was the fight as compared to a Striper or Steel Head, what did it feel like when that bad boy nailed your lure.......... :o

and for all you Infidels(none believers :D) how you cooking that Crow tonight...deep fried,Baked,or BBQ ......injoy

ken_fishnfool
04-24-2006, 04:26 PM
After thinking about it...It's not the ULTIMATE catch hOOkie. :-/

You need to go back soon and catch another one, take a picture just like the last one, only DO IT ON WOOD!! :o

That would (wood) really get those striper guys something to think on!
What do you say DD, 916, and you other guys?
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rusty_Hooks
04-24-2006, 06:18 PM
What are you talking about...Hookie has surf striper written all over him.

You don't think anyone could do tuna in the surf :o

Most would lose that rocket on the first run....or the first 90 degree turn ;D ;D ;D

Landlubber
04-24-2006, 09:04 PM
As hOOkie said in one of his original posts, such a catch will raise a lot of eyebrows. Alot of things don't fully add up - albacore tuna usually don't show within range of offshore boats until July, prefer warmer water, prefer clear deep blue offshore water instead of the brown (or what some call "dirty") or green tinged nearshore water, have only been caught by long range exploratory boats off San Diego this past week, last year were only caught within 60 miles of Santa Cruz a couple of occasions last year, and no one can remember ever seeing one caught in the surf around central CA. It is true that albies are caught closer during El Nino years, sometimes within 12 miles. But this year is a small La Nina year, which usually does not equate to albies closer to shore. Many years someone will post on one of the fishing boards and claims to have caught an albacore in May, usually by an unknown poster, and is usually proven to be false.

On the other hand, hOOkie has made many useful posts in the past, and will probably do so in the future. He certainly has many people vouching for his character, and his fishing ability. The fish certainly looks fresh to me. And I have seen things on/near the water that I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't been there (for instance, the largest Lingcod I have ever seen caught was by a 8 year old kid in a star crab trap off of the pier at Seacliff - ironically the next beach over from New Brighton, and have seen mola on several occasion from the same spot). And any father who takes his kid fishing certainly gains respect in my eyes - certainly one of the better experiences in life.

Am I skeptical? The answer is always about most things (but mostly about politicians). As others have stated, some of us have to see to truly believe. Is it a hoax - I don't know. One thing I do know - true or not - it has got the tuna juices flowing again in a lot of fishermen. Am I jealous - only of the fact that hOOkie is spending time on the water, while I am curently living up to my handle and only reading about it. I, like alot of others on the board, need to get out to the water and get back to fishing!

dimpala95
04-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Why is it that we are so eager to criticize those that we don't know? Hell, we criticize those that we do know. I for one believe anything is possible. Could this be the one in a billion fish, you bet. BC, just because there is no independant confirmation doesn't mean it didn't happen. Your network may be lacking. I for one believe. Not only because it is possible but I also know H00kie very well and he would not concoct a hoax as all you doubters infer. To all the pesimists, chill out and go fishing. This is supposed to be a friendly site but it seems that more and more people are signing on and becoming antagonistic. Accept it or reject it, that is your perogative but don't dump on someone just because you are a non believer.

In the infamous words of a dirt bag,"Can't we all get along".

Peace *

h00kie
04-25-2006, 09:15 AM
hookie. i believe it, but one thing i want to know is , how was the fight? bet that bad dog took you for a serious ride! congrats on the GREAT catch!
-me
I've been away from the surf since last season & really wasn't expecting much action from anything big to begin with. It was an instant rush of adreneline when the thing slammed my mickey. I really didn't know what I had on. I've hooked a striper, a big leopard and had my share of blow-ups & swirls in that same stretch of beach before. My rod started pumping and it ran me parallel to the beach. As it did, my mind wasn't really focused on whatever was at the end of my rod but on my son who was playing in the sand. I had something on that was taking me steps away from him so in a way I wanted to land it as soon as possible instead playing it to enjoy the fight. Even with his vest on, it's just one of those parental instinct that kicks in. I already know the capability of my surf gear and I really put it to the test. When I finally got the fish to turn toward me, I put as much pressure as I can on it to keep it coming closer to the surf. After that, it was cha-cha time. As I said before my first attempt of lading it resulted in a ripped gill from it trashing around & trying to lift its weight. The next wave that came in was a tail grab that shook my entire upper body as if I was Hammer. Wish I had a third hand to snap pics of the expression on my son's face as I ran towards him dragging the fish.
I don't know if it was due to the shakedown that I got from the fish or the adreneline but my hands wouldn't stop shaking shortly after. I felt like... like... a ROOKIE landing his 1st surf fish again ;D

FishinFool408
04-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah....I still haven't received any chicken of the sea yet! >:( :'(

ken_fishnfool
04-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Rookie my butt! ::) ::) :P
Adrenaline is addicting hOOkie and you've been getting much more than your share of it lately!! :o :o

Got to LOVE it!

Big_Easy
04-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Anything is possible! ;) Excellent fish and thank you for sharing with the forum. :D I HAVE A GRILL, not gold teeth ;D a real GRILL! :).

Double_D
04-25-2006, 01:56 PM
I think he's hooked :D....I can see it now in the gear for sale thread........all surf fishing gear for sale 1/2 off what I paid for, PH. 555-555-5555 ask for*h00kie, switching to Tuna need boat.....then we won't see h00kie posting here anymore he will be at coastsidefishing.com ;D

tarpon19
04-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, nice fish, we have been catching fish like that, my photo was posted on this website www.pierfishingguide.com

The_Reel_Won
04-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Pretty cool pier fishing. :) That Skyway bridge is a trip.

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, nice fish, we have been catching fish like that, my photo was posted on this website www.pierfishingguide.com

tuara37
04-25-2006, 05:46 PM
I think he's hooked :D....I can see it now in the gear for sale thread........all surf fishing gear for sale 1/2 off what I paid for, PH. 555-555-5555 ask for*h00kie, switching to Tuna need boat.....then we won't see h00kie posting here anymore he will be at coastsidefishing.com ;D

;D ;D ;D *Ya he's selling everything except fot the metal he used to catch the tuna, he probably will sell it for 100% markup *;D

Noodle_Rod
04-25-2006, 06:20 PM
h00kie,

First and foremost, CONGRATULATION!!!! Having caught albies from a boat, I can imagine what the battle was like from the surf.

Secondly, you don't have to explain yourself bro....your friends' opinions are all that matters....

Mfresh,

I'm more than ready this year with all the experience I gained last year. I even got a new surf rod to back up my salmon rod which I use exclusively last year....I can't wait till me meet up again on the beach and in Rodeo....speaking of Rodeo, only you, Dimpala and I (and maybe a handful of others) can experience such action....if we took pictures of all the fish we landed, those non-believer of h00kie' fish will think we doctored the photographs. Oh well, more fish for us to catch...see you at the beach.

ghostfish_slayer
04-25-2006, 10:27 PM
ha you got thumped..that is what they do on the bottom of your boat and in the fish box.just plain thump the heck out of it.it sounds like a jack hammer pounding a hole in the hull..as for el nino and la nina it is straight global warming.they catch tuna way up the west coast.

Rusty_Hooks
04-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Rookie my butt! ::) ::) :P
Adrenaline is addicting hOOkie and you've been getting much more than your share of it lately!! :o :o

Got to LOVE it!

aaaaddddddrrrrreeeennnnniiiillllliiiiinnnnnneeeeee e.....gotta love it ;D ;D 8-)

Fish_R_Us
05-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Nice albacore!! Gee you usually have to go out 25-100 miles offshore on a 2 day trip to get those. Time to get the BBQ going! Yum Yum - leftover Albi tuna sandwiches are making my mouth water.

CenCoast_Angler
05-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Try this:
cross-cut the fillets and wrap them in bacon (use toothpicks to hold in place) then lay some foil on the grille and BBQ them until the bacon hardens then toss them direcly on the grille for the finishing touches...
MMMMMMMM....reminds me of the time I caught 10 albies in 2 hours. I think I was reeling for 1.5 hours and re-baiting for a half hour. It was non-stop action. And I had more fillets than I could fit into my freezer (my neighbors, friends, and family were happy to take some off my hands) and I cooked them every which way possible.
MMMMMMMMM.....tunaaaaa......drooooll.....

Again, CONGRATS on the awesomest catch EVER!
I'll trade my 4lb 12oz smallmouth for that ablie any day, Hookie!

PK

wading2fish
05-04-2006, 06:08 PM
cca that is an awesome cabbie!