PDA

View Full Version : Crawdads

Pages : [1] 2

nvthis
06-16-2013, 12:48 PM
We get them every year, usually @ Lake Almanor or Butt Lake or Bucks Lake and LOVE to boil them up. Problem is these lakes are quite a drive to just go up for some dads. I have several traps I use when we go camping and they work ok, sometimes better than others... That said.. I went to the Crawdad Festival in Red Bluff last weekend and I gotta say, their boil was unreal. The crawfish themselves weren't all that, but the boil was crazy good. I've never been able to get that much flavor into my dads. That got me to wanting to duplicate it, or at least experiment and find something just as tasty. The only way I can do this is to have some place with easier access. Rice fields! I've never utilized this option before just because of pesticide concerns, but people get these all the time. That, and I have heard that Cali rice growers have pretty much stopped using pesticide on their rice (something to do with exporting to Japan and their extremely high crazy standards for pesticide-free rice, maybe?) Either way, I think it's an option and I want in. Sooo... What's the tech for rice fields? I have read you should ask the owners before going in there, but how to find the owners?? And is there a certain time of year to go? After harvest?

IronClad
06-16-2013, 01:35 PM
I work the rice season as a truck driver, Best advice i could give you is to hopefully come across people working in the fields and ask them. There is really no way to know/find out who owns/leases the field unless you had an in with someone that knew. What you can do though is hit up the canals that run next to the fields as they dont own those. I see alot of guys during/after rice season around here out in richvale/biggs/etc that don some waders and use big nets to scoop through the canals and they usually end up with a ton. I know ive thought about it since i usually look in them for crawdads/catfish :D

As far as pesticides and farmers not using them much anymore is kind of a half and half truth. Alot of farmers are going to eco farmed/organic due to there being more money in it in the long run but many of the regular old medium ( m-205-207 cal rose etc) varieties are still done the same ole way since farmers are the cheapest *******s out there ive ever come across.

Oh also Definitely do not go into anyone's field/down someones road out there without permission. You will generally be met with some extremely unhappy farmers/ farm hands

nvthis
06-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Hmm.. Good stuff, IC... Richvale is the closest to me. Anywhere from there to Biggs to willows would be ideal I suppose. I imagine the fall might be the best time for this? Guess I should see about finding some folk... Dang, I had a job once where we went out and fogged silos. Should have taken advantage of that then.

IronClad
06-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Probably from around late july till the end of rice season would be the best as the canals are either full from pumping water into the fields or they are full from draining the fields, A fairly freshly drained field would be pretty dang good for finding some bugs. You have no idea how many crawdad shells i see when i haul rice its crazy lol. Even in the rice as its coming out of my trailer !

There are quite a few roads you can cruise down through richvale and get some out of the canals that arent steep. Or even toss a trap in but be sure to hide it good, I will probably be doing that myself this rice season since i will be able to keep a somewhat good eye on them as most of our farmers are out of the richvale area.

49erbassman
06-16-2013, 03:30 PM
I know a rice farmer and they use pesticides every year. These also kill the crayfish. If you get them before pesticides have been added or after once the pesticides have been flushed out your good to go. PM me next month and if I'm going to make the trip to his fields I can get you some.

Fish on!

dsa2780
06-18-2013, 12:40 AM
Wouldn't setting a trap in the main sacramento near Freeport or Clarksburg be fine also? I mean, there are probably more abundant craws in the rice fields, but I'm seeing some real river lobsters crawling around right now. I'm considering setting up a trap, but am also a little concerned about pollutants or such in the main sacramento. I'll purge them before the Swedish crawdad boil, but it helps to know.

BIG_ONE
06-18-2013, 02:33 AM
Wouldn't setting a trap in the main sacramento near Freeport or Clarksburg be fine also? I mean, there are probably more abundant craws in the rice fields, but I'm seeing some real river lobsters crawling around right now. I'm considering setting up a trap, but am also a little concerned about pollutants or such in the main sacramento. I'll purge them before the Swedish crawdad boil, but it helps to know.

Perfectly fine. The ones in the Sacramento River system are actually considered as a higher quality dads' compared to ones you get in the rice field. Just takes more work to get a comparable quantity from the rice fields.

WLShafor
06-18-2013, 07:45 AM
I set two traps yesterday off of the canal that runs from West El Camino - Truxel area HWY 80

Pulled both traps with zero Crawdads. Surprisingly a Yellow Belly Catfish made his way into one of the traps.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/18/yzy7yzap.jpg

There is progress whether you are going forward or backward! The thing is to move!

nvthis
06-18-2013, 08:15 AM
Now that's funny! Closest the Sac gets to me is outside of Chico. Not too far, but I'm not sure what the dad situation is up here either... Just cooked a mess on Sunday from a local lake. Good, but not what I am after. Needs MORE flavor to compete with the festival batch. Also, anyone know the tech for making the meat come out of the shells? Mine ya gotta fight with. The ones from the festival you just sucked right out, no prob. The meat released real easy like. Normally, for my boil, I do 5 min hard boil and 15 min rest. That must not be the way! Vinegar maybe?

WLShafor
06-18-2013, 10:35 AM
I went to the a Cajun & Blues/Crawdad festival on Saturday in Isleton. Had some of the best Crawdads ever! The boil seasoning was so flavorful.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/19/yruryvam.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/19/jevybapy.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/19/rehu5yve.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/19/2yra6uza.jpg

There is progress whether you are going forward or backward! The thing is to move!

isdaann
06-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Years ago I heard the Dad in the Isleton festival are from Louisiana. The local Dads cost more cause they are of higher quality, France buys most of them from the Delta. I dont know if this is fact but that is what I heard from an Isleton local.

Anyways the taste comes from the boil.

WhopperStopper
06-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Those crawdads in the picture look like the ones that come from around here. The ones from LA look more reddish and have skinny pincers. The ones from around here look more brownish in color and have big pincers like the ones in the photo.

danweasel
06-18-2013, 11:27 AM
An army buddy from Louisiana once told me, "secret to a delicious crawfish, boil them first and season them after."

Probably not what you wanted to hear, though.

-Dan

WLShafor
06-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Thought id share this event coming up!

http://s23.postimg.org/h8jzvownv/935421_370031636431957_1348730995_n.jpg

woolybuggin
06-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Man I missed the isleton festival again!!!!!! I haven't been in years. Where can I get some good craw dads around here?

BeefCakeScout
06-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Old bay,more cayenne,celery seed,bay leaves, even more cayenne,salt,onion powder,paprika,garlic powder,beer and a pinch of cayenne.

Mix as much as you like and season HEAVILY.

WhopperStopper
06-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Man I missed the isleton festival again!!!!!! I haven't been in years. Where can I get some good craw dads around here?

Hey Brandon, I saw a guy at El Manto a few weeks ago and he filled a 5 gallon bucket full of big crawdads. He was just using a glove and snorkel mask and hand picking them from around the rocks. He was only there for about 2 hrs. It was pretty impressive.

BIG_ONE
06-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Add a few beers into the boil...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

woolybuggin
06-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Hey Brandon, I saw a guy at El Manto a few weeks ago and he filled a 5 gallon bucket full of big crawdads. He was just using a glove and snorkel mask and hand picking them from around the rocks. He was only there for about 2 hrs. It was pretty impressive.

ya man that is impressive, i may have to try that out. i know a few ponds with them in it but it seems like they would be nasty. when i lived in lake tahoe those things were everywhere, i wonder if they are still that high in numbers there.

WHT.RUS
06-18-2013, 04:16 PM
I know a great spot for these in the summer. Put couple of cans of cat food under water. Put your snorkel on and go diving. Every time you dive, you get two crawdads. By the time you come up and put them in the bucket, there's already two more heading towards the cat food. Crawdads are so simple, yet so delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

WhopperStopper
06-18-2013, 04:32 PM
ya man that is impressive, i may have to try that out. i know a few ponds with them in it but it seems like they would be nasty. when i lived in lake tahoe those things were everywhere, i wonder if they are still that high in numbers there.

Yeah I've seen some in lake Tahoe that were absolute giants. They truly looked like small lobsters. I'm talking like 8"ers. Ice house reservoir also has some monster sized crawdads and the ones that come from Tahoe or ice house or any of the alpine lakes seem like they would be really clean and tasty because of the great water quality.

I've also caught a bunch at nimbus basin either in that cove there or by the side adjacent to the csus aquatic cntr parking lot. Keep a shad or two and chop it up really good and put it in a mesh bag then in the trap. It works wonders. Sardines also works great for bait. Pretty much any oily type fish will work for bait.

49erbassman
06-18-2013, 05:19 PM
AR has some lobster size dads. Seen a lady pull 30+ out from one spot last week.

Fish on!

BeefCakeScout
06-18-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm dropping my trap in the AR in the morning, with the remains of a catfish. Tomorrow night I will eat like a king!

nvthis
06-18-2013, 10:29 PM
An army buddy from Louisiana once told me, "secret to a delicious crawfish, boil them first and season them after."

Probably not what you wanted to hear, though.

-DanNo man, I think you are right. In a few videos on youtube they show how they season the craws after boiling. THIS may be the way...

woolybuggin
06-18-2013, 11:10 PM
How long do traps stay in the water?

Katfish
06-19-2013, 12:36 AM

At least 24 hours I like to go. You have to give them time to find it if you really want to make a good haul. When I'm in a really loaded spot I might cut back to 12 hours but only when I'm pulling up FULL traps. They start crushing each other. Lol. This time of year I would recommend 24-36 hours

danweasel
06-19-2013, 06:48 AM
No man, I think you are right. In a few videos on youtube they show how they season the craws after boiling. THIS may be the way...

Ok, good. Honestly I wasn't sure if that was right because I have never cooked crawdads myself.

-Dan

BeefCakeScout
06-19-2013, 07:17 AM
No man, I think you are right. In a few videos on youtube they show how they season the craws after boiling. THIS may be the way...
during and after....

I'm dropping mine in about 10 min. I'll pull em tonight, but my spot is awesome

nvthis
06-19-2013, 08:31 AM
I'm dropping mine in about 10 min. I'll pull em tonight, but my spot is awesome Take pics!....

woolybuggin
06-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Take pics!....

Ya take pics of the spot too!

BeefCakeScout
06-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Ya take pics of the spot too!

I will. Plenty to go around

49erbassman
06-19-2013, 11:41 AM
during and after....

I'm dropping mine in about 10 min. I'll pull em tonight, but my spot is awesome

Do you have a mesh trap? I see one at the shad spot every now and then

Fish on!

crawdaddundee
06-19-2013, 12:02 PM
We get them every year, usually @ Lake Almanor or Butt Lake or Bucks Lake and LOVE to boil them up. Problem is these lakes are quite a drive to just go up for some dads. I have several traps I use when we go camping and they work ok, sometimes better than others... That said.. I went to the Crawdad Festival in Red Bluff last weekend and I gotta say, their boil was unreal. The crawfish themselves weren't all that, but the boil was crazy good. I've never been able to get that much flavor into my dads. That got me to wanting to duplicate it, or at least experiment and find something just as tasty. The only way I can do this is to have some place with easier access. Rice fields! I've never utilized this option before just because of pesticide concerns, but people get these all the time. That, and I have heard that Cali rice growers have pretty much stopped using pesticide on their rice (something to do with exporting to Japan and their extremely high crazy standards for pesticide-free rice, maybe?) Either way, I think it's an option and I want in. Sooo... What's the tech for rice fields? I have read you should ask the owners before going in there, but how to find the owners?? And is there a certain time of year to go? After harvest?
No comment

nvthis
06-19-2013, 05:47 PM
No comment???... Anyway, went through some rice fields today and saw cropduster planes sweeping everything around.. Bummer! Anyway, here's some motivation from my kitchen this year;)15054 Craws, new red potatoes, corn, Sierra Nevada Summerfest and an Opus X to seal the deal..

49erbassman
06-19-2013, 05:58 PM
I believe they are laying the rice seeds with the planes. Chemicals go in later but I could be wrong.

Fish on!

nvthis
06-19-2013, 06:00 PM
I believe they are laying the rice seeds with the planes. Chemicals go in later but I could be wrong.

Fish on!
I really don't know much about the process, so you are probably right but it looked like it was full of rice already. Very green and about a foot tall I would guess? Maybe just laying more seed?

49erbassman
06-19-2013, 06:05 PM
I really don't know much about the process, so you are probably right but it looked like it was full of rice already. Very green and about a foot tall I would guess? Maybe just laying more seed?

No your probably right in that case. I'll see if I can get a hold of the guy I know and inquire.

Fish on!

IronClad
06-19-2013, 06:30 PM
most everything got planted in april/early may so they are doing fert/pest sweeps

BeefCakeScout
06-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Do you have a mesh trap? I see one at the shad spot every now and then

Fish on!

That one isn't mine. Mine are wire mesh tubes.....but never at the shad spot.

As for rice fields, you pretty much gotta wait til the end of the season. Usually around late aug.-sept. Diving can be VERY productive, especially in clear water such as the AR. Its not hard for two guys with snorkels to haul 50# in a day just diving. The AR has some of the best craws I have tasted, right behind the Yuba and the North fork of the feather.

FresnoJack
06-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Haven't been there for a few years, but the crawdads at the the Cajun festival at Shoreline Park in Mountain View were always from Louisiana.

Production in the South really got slammed by the hurricane a few years ago. Hope it has come back.

Years ago I heard the Dad in the Isleton festival are from Louisiana. The local Dads cost more cause they are of higher quality, France buys most of them from the Delta. I dont know if this is fact but that is what I heard from an Isleton local.

Anyways the taste comes from the boil.

WLShafor
06-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Still not having any luck with setting traps. Soaked them over night and pulled out 15 total from 2 traps using beef meat raw leftovers from a local meat market

BIG_ONE
06-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Still not having any luck with setting traps. Soaked them over night and pulled out 15 total from 2 traps using beef meat raw leftovers from a local meat market

Something with a lot of oil and scent will do the best. Which is why canned dog and cat food works like a charm.

redneckpunk
06-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Something with a lot of oil and scent will do the best. Which is why canned dog and cat food works like a charm.

The oilier the better. Best bait Ive used in a dad trap was rattlesnake

~RNP

BIG_ONE
06-24-2013, 09:04 PM
The oilier the better. Best bait Ive used in a dad trap was rattlesnake

~RNP

A rattlesnake...where in the world did you get that? Did you purposely catch and kill it for dads'?

:suesscat:

redneckpunk
06-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Car in front of us on the way up to Hell Hole ran it over so my brother-in-law jumped out, finished killing it and then as soon as camp was set up he went to skinning and trimming for the traps. We put out 2 traps for about 5 hours and feisted that night on a great boil. Had it not already been run over we'd have left it but no sense wasting good roadkill

~RNP

WLShafor
06-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Rattlesnake does work well unused it a few times last year.

WLShafor
06-24-2013, 09:23 PM
While using google mobile phone app I typed in "Crawdad" and I received from google the nutrition facts. The first list is raw and the second is cooked.

Nutrition Facts

Crayfish, raw

Amount Per 3 oz (85 g)

Calories 61

% Daily Value*

Total fat 0.8 g 1%
Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.3 g
Monounsaturated fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 91 mg 30%
Sodium 53 mg2%
Potassium 222 mg 6%
Total Carbohydrate 0 g 0%
Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
Protein 13 g 26%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium2%
Iron 2%
Vitamin B-6 5%
Vitamin B-12 29%
Magnesium 6%

Crayfish, cooked

Amount Per 3 oz (85 g)

Calories 74

% Daily Value*

Total fat 1.1 g 1%
Saturated fat 0.2 g 1%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.4 g
Monounsaturated fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 116 mg 38%
Sodium 82 mg 3%
Potassium 202 mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 0 g 0%
Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
Protein 15 g 30%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 4%
Iron 4%
Vitamin B-6 5%
Vitamin B-12 43%
Magnesium 7%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/25/pu6esu5a.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/25/yha8enaq.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/25/sezapery.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/25/va9ema4e.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/25/7ery7y5u.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/25/enygazun.jpg

Katfish
06-24-2013, 10:00 PM

Bro just come up here to my stomping grounds. We'll drop the traps do a day of fishin and pick em up when were done. Guarantee you'll bring home plenty lol

striperking13
06-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Russell, if ur referring to Minden, then i will bring my traps next time.. I have about 8 traps lol.. the more the merrier lol..

Katfish
06-24-2013, 11:41 PM
Russell, if ur referring to Minden, then i will bring my traps next time.. I have about 8 traps lol.. the more the merrier lol..

Nah, Mindens got a good population of em but not like where i get mine :) lol

Same to you Jean. Its only about ten/fifteen minutes from minden. I'll show you some of my fishing holes while we wait. lol

Katfish
06-28-2013, 08:48 PM
The crawdads are here! The crawdads are here! Just picked up my best trap this year!!!! :)

Katfish
06-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Ok just counted em. Only pulled out 2 traps tonight. 81 in the first trap. 108 in the other for a total of 189 crawdads in two traps. Not too bad. :)

Katfish
06-28-2013, 09:13 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/29/e6umusah.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/29/qe5azu9e.jpg

woolybuggin
06-28-2013, 10:24 PM
You should share :)

Katfish
06-28-2013, 10:25 PM
You should share :)

Pm me brother :)

woolybuggin
06-28-2013, 10:30 PM
Pm me brother :)

Will do! Quick question, when you guys leave your pots aren't you worried someone will steal them? Of you mark them with buoys or hide them?

Katfish
06-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Will do! Quick question, when you guys leave your pots aren't you worried someone will steal them? Of you mark them with buoys or hide them?

Do not mark with bouys lol they will get stolen.

With a little practice you'll be hidin em so good you'll have trouble finding your own pots. Lolol. I usually take a couple sticks and make an x with them near where I put them in so I can find them again. When you throw them in make sure the rope sinks down all the way before you leave. Any rope sticking up on the side of bank just pull out some long weeds or sticks or whatever's nearby and lay them on top of the rope. You'll be surprised even with my x marks the spot I still have trouble finding em. Lol

Haven't had a trap stolen in over three years.

BIG_ONE
06-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Should share with me too...I'll share you some crappie spots for slabs. LOL.

:lolk:

Katfish
06-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Should share with me too...I'll share you some crappie spots for slabs. LOL.

Deal! :)

woolybuggin
06-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Do not mark with bouys lol they will get stolen.

With a little practice you'll be hidin em so good you'll have trouble finding your own pots. Lolol. I usually take a couple sticks and make an x with them near where I put them in so I can find them again. When you throw them in make sure the rope sinks down all the way before you leave. Any rope sticking up on the side of bank just pull out some long weeds or sticks or whatever's nearby and lay them on top of the rope. You'll be surprised even with my x marks the spot I still have trouble finding em. Lol

Haven't had a trap stolen in over three years.

I'd be worried fishermen would snag on them. Do you secure them on the bottom or just use weight

Katfish
06-28-2013, 10:42 PM
I'd be worried fishermen would snag on them. Do you secure them on the bottom or just use weight

No weight needed. The weight of the trap will sink em just fine. But yeah don't put em anywhere accessible by fisherman.. You wanna get em in a spot where it would be too hard to cast a pole. Try to get them along the thickest parts of the bank you can find. I always have fun just seeing how well I can hide them :) makes me feel good when I come back the next day an spend 20 minute looking for my own pots haha

Just throw in some bait. Tie on about a 20 foot piece of rope. Throw em out so they're nice an deep where you can't see them from the shore. Tie it off. Cover up any rope that I showing. Mark the spot. Give it 24 hours you should have some. If you don't pull out at least a few don't waste your time there anymore. Move on and try another spot.

Katfish
06-28-2013, 10:44 PM
I'd be worried fishermen would snag on them. Do you secure them on the bottom or just use weightJust thought about it if your putting them in a river like sac or feather then yeah weight would be a good idea. Lol

Rivers never have huge numbers though... From my experience getting 20 in a trap out of a river is a pretty good day..

woolybuggin
06-28-2013, 10:46 PM
Nice thanks for the info, on more question. What's the 20 ft of ripe for? To tie it off so it doesn't go downstream? Where can I get traps?

Katfish
06-28-2013, 10:51 PM
Nice thanks for the info, on more question. What's the 20 ft of ripe for? To tie it off so it doesn't go downstream? Where can I get traps?

Lol yeah the rope is what keeps em where you dropped em in and also if you had no rope it would be a hard time getting them back out ;). i go with brown rope as it blends in best in most terrains. Traps aren't too hard to come by. Lots of bait shops sell them. FW used to have them I don't know I they still do. Scheels in Reno has some good deAls on em. You can always do a quick search and find them online too. I used to make my own traps but its too expensive anymore an I'm better off just buying them cheap nowadays.

BIG_ONE
06-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Deal! :)

PM Sent!

:cheesy:

Katfish

Always glad to help and pass along what I know to help out others. If you need any help getting started feel free to message me. Ill share what Ive learned over the years and help you out any way I can! :)

woolybuggin
Cool thanks, seriously my wife is gonna kill me when she sees me come home with craw dad traps

Katfish
06-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Cool thanks, seriously my wife is gonna kill me when she sees me come home with craw dad traps

Hahahaha. Better than sardines on your clothes right? ;) lol

BIG_ONE

Geez...wait till you bring home a bucket of them flopping and hopping all over.

Katfish

Lookin to eat em or use as bait?

Katfish
06-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Hahahaha. Better than sardines on your clothes right? ;) lol

Not too mention clicking and clacking. Lol

Them suckers sure are noisy lol

woolybuggin
06-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Lookin to eat em or use as bait?

Eat em!! I haven't eaten them in years but I love em

Katfish
06-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Eat em!! I haven't eaten them in years but I love em

Right on! Then she'll get over it when you cook her up a big mess o dads!

My girl used to hate it when I came home with the bed of my truck full of crawdads last year. Then I cooked em for her...

Lets just say she's been bugging me all year about when is it goin to be time to catch crawdads again. Lol

Katfish
06-28-2013, 11:15 PM
PM Sent!

:cheesy:

Pm very graciously recieved:)

Lol

basskeeter1
06-29-2013, 09:25 AM
I would like some for eating if some of you guys have more than what you can use. I'm willing to help you out with gas and bait. I can also pick up, my wife been wanting some. thanks.

please text or call 916-541-9405

Matt

WLShafor
06-29-2013, 08:02 PM
For traps you can most likely get them from one of the places listed below.

Broadway Bait Rod & Gun
1701 Broadway
Sacramento‎ CA‎ 95818
United States

Fisherman's Warehouse
9035 Folsom Boulevard
Sacramento‎ CA‎ 95826
United States

Johnson's Bait & Tackle
298 Garden Highway
Yuba City‎ CA‎ 95991
United States

Sportsmen's Warehouse
6640 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin‎ CA‎ 95765
United States

nvthis
06-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Ok just counted em. Only pulled out 2 traps tonight. 81 in the first trap. 108 in the other for a total of 189 crawdads in two traps. Not too bad. :)
Wow, what a score! Your place is way better then the ones I know.. Were those all eating size? Or bait size too? Spent the whole weekend catfishing on Lake Oroville and didn't see a single one. Well, I rarely do there but depending on where you catch them the cats gut can be full of bits and claws

Katfish
06-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Wow, what a score! Your place is way better then the ones I know.. Were those all eating size? Or bait size too? Spent the whole weekend catfishing on Lake Oroville and didn't see a single one. Well, I rarely do there but depending on where you catch them the cats gut can be full of bits and claws

They were real big ones for this time of year actually. Average about six inches. Nice healthy and red. Perfect eating size.

WLShafor
06-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Dropping traps in the morning at a new spot should have the results back by Wednesday morning. Can't wait to have a Crawdad boil with some corn, potatoes and onions.

They were real big ones for this time of year actually. Average about six inches. Nice healthy and red. Perfect eating size.

Katfish
06-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Dropping traps in the morning at a new spot should have the results back by Wednesday morning. Can't wait to have a Crawdad boil with some corn, potatoes and onions.

keep us posted. I put a few out at like 3 this morning. Some guys drove by real slow staring at me... I think they thought i was dumping a body... :krzyhunter4ez: LOL

Katfish
07-02-2013, 04:30 PM
I have been getting alot of pms lately about where to put out traps. Here is a pic of where I dropped mine this afternoon... Look for waters such as these. Also if water Is flowing catch is always better ;)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/03/by8equ7y.jpg

XPL051v3
07-02-2013, 06:35 PM
I need to get a few of those crawdads from you. Always good results when fishin' for those cats or if there live some good bass too.

-Xzi

Katfish
07-02-2013, 07:18 PM
I need to get a few of those crawdads from you. Always good results when fishin' for those cats or if there live some good bass too.

-Xzi

Exactly. I use more live crawdads for bait than prolly all other baits combined.

You know your more than welcome to them man

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/03/6erypy5y.jpg

WLShafor
07-02-2013, 09:10 PM
I will be picking up my traps tomorrow morning they have been soaking for 2 days come 8am tomorrow.

For bait I used bass, bluegill & crappie leftovers heads,tails and the leftover body parts agreeing filleting my taco meat.

nvthis
07-03-2013, 06:11 PM
I have been getting alot of pms lately about where to put out traps. Here is a pic of where I dropped mine this afternoon... Look for waters such as these. Also if water Is flowing catch is always better ;)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/03/by8equ7y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 This looks VERY similar to some of the canals near me in the rice fields....

Katfish
07-03-2013, 08:13 PM
This looks VERY similar to some of the canals near me in the rice fields....

Maybe it is...;)

Put some traps out. You might be surprised

woolybuggin
07-03-2013, 09:24 PM
just wanted to say i was at wild sports today and they have crawdad traps also. the were almost 10$ each

Katfish
07-04-2013, 04:26 AM
just wanted to say i was at wild sports today and they have crawdad traps also. the were almost 10$ each

Good deal.

nvthis
07-04-2013, 06:29 AM
just wanted to say i was at wild sports today and they have crawdad traps also. the were almost 10$ eachReally good deal

ngt
07-04-2013, 09:12 AM
not trying to get too off topic, but what causes a crawdad boom in one area? For a few years, there's 20 in a spot, coaxing them out with bait. Then a few summers ago, there were so many crawdads at one lake, I walked around with bait on the end of a stick picking up 200+ in a few hours. Then for the next few years it's back to low numbers. What caused that boom?

WLShafor
07-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Score! I'm buying 2 more traps this weekend.

Don't rush things! Anything worth having is worth waiting for.

WLShafor
07-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Went to the spot where I dropped 2 traps at. Let them soak for 2 days. When I dropped them I saw about 10 Crawdads sunbathing so I was thinking that this new area would be promising. To bs the spot was a bust. I only got 5 Crawdads. Maybe later in the year it will be better.

Ill be dropping them at a new spot today.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/05/a4ytypaq.jpg

CAL.NDN
07-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Well if you put some dog in them Waldo like has been suggested to you before you might just be surprised with a bigger harvest next time.

Katfish
07-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Well if you put some dog in them Waldo like has been suggested to you before you might just be surprised with a bigger harvest next time.

Don't put any dogs in your traps

;)

Katfish
07-04-2013, 10:13 AM
not trying to get too off topic, but what causes a crawdad boom in one area? For a few years, there's 20 in a spot, coaxing them out with bait. Then a few summers ago, there were so many crawdads at one lake, I walked around with bait on the end of a stick picking up 200+ in a few hours. Then for the next few years it's back to low numbers. What caused that boom?

Really could be a number of things so its hard to say without more info on the area

CAL.NDN
07-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Lmao. I ment dog food yea no dogs please :):hitoverhead::posteroops2lu:

49erbassman
07-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Went to the spot where I dropped 2 traps at. Let them soak for 2 days. When I dropped them I saw about 10 Crawdads sunbathing so I was thinking that this new area would be promising. To bs the spot was a bust. I only got 5 Crawdads. Maybe later in the year it will be better.

Ill be dropping them at a new spot today.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/05/a4ytypaq.jpg

Are they crawling out if your trap? If you seen 10 and only caught 5 in two days it doesn't make sense

Fish on!

CAL.NDN
07-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Are they crawling out if your trap? If you seen 10 and only caught 5 in two days it doesn't make sense

Fish on!

Thats exactly what i think 2 days give em time to get smart enough

Katfish
07-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Thats exactly what i think 2 days give em time to get smart enough

No two days should be fine... I always wait 24-48 hours and usually have more after 48 then I do after 24.

I completely agree though if you saw them when you walked up you def should have had more...

Like cal.ndn meant to say Use dog food next time though guarantee you will do better.

Putting dogs in your traps. Lol funny picturing that one lol

WLShafor
07-04-2013, 12:29 PM
They didn't crawl out of my traps. Saw the Crawdads at random spots as I was walking to the spots I dropped mine at.

The two areas where input mine also had Crawdad shells from raccoons,birds or other animals that where eating them. So maybe the animals ate them and I trapped the last of that population

FresnoJack
07-04-2013, 12:35 PM
I have box-shaped traps and the tube-shaped traps.

For some reason the tubes always catch more crawdads, even though the boxes are are easier to climb into.

They wan't crawling out of my traps. Saw the Crawdads at random spots as I was walking to the spots I dropped mine at.

The two areas where input mine also had Crawdad shells from raccoons,birds or other animals that where eating them. So maybe the animals ate them and I trapped the last of that population

Katfish
07-04-2013, 01:57 PM

For some reason the tubes always catch more crawdads, even though the boxes are are easier to climb into.

Yeah I always used the tube shaped ones. 36" commercial tubes work best imo

nvthis
07-04-2013, 02:43 PM
not trying to get too off topic, but what causes a crawdad boom in one area? For a few years, there's 20 in a spot, coaxing them out with bait. Then a few summers ago, there were so many crawdads at one lake, I walked around with bait on the end of a stick picking up 200+ in a few hours. Then for the next few years it's back to low numbers. What caused that boom?My guess is they cycle, like everything else in nature. Sometimes there are more rabbits, so foxes have lots of food and there is a population boom. Then, once they have eaten all the rabbits they starve off and are very few, giving the rabbits a chance to boom again. Just a guess there, but good question...

shasta_steve
07-04-2013, 02:50 PM

I always build my own traps. Really if you only have a few then it is not worth it but I am always tinkering on something anyway. I either get some stolen or end up giving some away. I have not had as much luck with the standard traps you buy in the store. I am not sure what the commercial ones are like but the cheap ones in the store are not the same diameter the whole way. One side or the other has to raised up when it is sitting on the bottom.

If I am going to make a bunch I can do it for about $5 a trap but if I count my time it is a money loser. First I get a roll of 24" 1/2" hardware cloth. I cut them in 36" lengths to make about a 10" tube. I usually buy some cheap zip ties to hold it together temporarily. 15375

Then I get a roll of 36" hardware cloth. You can use the 24" roll but you will have a lot more waste. I like 1/4" for this but 1/2" works fine. I cut it in 18" squares. I mark the center and then cut diagonally to the center. 15376

Next I form a cone, cutting away some of excess to make it easier. The hardest part about this is getting the pointed end in the middle. You will have a lot more to cut off on one side than the other. When I get it about right I pull it out and put a couple of zip ties on it. I then trim the big end to just about fit in the end of the tube. I cut a hole in the other end for the crawdads to crawl through. Repeat for the other end. 15377

When that is all done I sew all the pieces together with some really light galvanized wire. I put a handle on top to tie my rope to. I also cut a door in the top. Bigger is better. Just cut a hole and then cut a piece of scrap 1" larger in each direction. I use the wire to hold the bottom of the door and cheap Harbor Freight bungees to hold the door shut. 15378

Like I said it does take quite a lot of time to make a bunch but when I go out I like to have enough traps so that I know I am going to get plenty. A friend of mine and I built over 30 one day but it took most of the day. I think it would be faster if I had cage making clamps as most of the time is taken up sewing them up with wire.

Katfish
07-04-2013, 04:04 PM
I always build my own traps. Really if you only have a few then it is not worth it but I am always tinkering on something anyway. I either get some stolen or end up giving some away. I have not had as much luck with the standard traps you buy in the store. I am not sure what the commercial ones are like but the cheap ones in the store are not the same diameter the whole way. One side or the other has to raised up when it is sitting on the bottom.

If I am going to make a bunch I can do it for about $5 a trap but if I count my time it is a money loser. First I get a roll of 24" 1/2" hardware cloth. I cut them in 36" lengths to make about a 10" tube. I usually buy some cheap zip ties to hold it together temporarily. 15375

Then I get a roll of 36" hardware cloth. You can use the 24" roll but you will have a lot more waste. I like 1/4" for this but 1/2" works fine. I cut it in 18" squares. I mark the center and then cut diagonally to the center. 15376

Next I form a cone, cutting away some of excess to make it easier. The hardest part about this is getting the pointed end in the middle. You will have a lot more to cut off on one side than the other. When I get it about right I pull it out and put a couple of zip ties on it. I then trim the big end to just about fit in the end of the tube. I cut a hole in the other end for the crawdads to crawl through. Repeat for the other end. 15377

When that is all done I sew all the pieces together with some really light galvanized wire. I put a handle on top to tie my rope to. I also cut a door in the top. Bigger is better. Just cut a hole and then cut a piece of scrap 1" larger in each direction. I use the wire to hold the bottom of the door and cheap Harbor Freight bungees to hold the door shut. 15378

Like I said it does take quite a lot of time to make a bunch but when I go out I like to have enough traps so that I know I am going to get plenty. A friend of mine and I built over 30 one day but it took most of the day. I think it would be faster if I had cage making clamps as most of the time is taken up sewing them up with wire.

Same way I used to make mine. Gave up on it a couple years ago.. Seemed like it was costing me as much to make em as I was buying them. Not including my time.

Good info here though. Nice post shastasteve

WLShafor
07-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Saturday morning I checked my traps and found lawn lobsters. Went camping and made the mini lawn lobsters for a appetizer. Before BBQ'in ribs & Corn.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/08/qy2epe8e.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/08/utu6e4yz.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/08/avenaveq.jpg

WLShafor
07-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Porter Wagoner - Crawdad Song

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6E1A0uY66M

nvthis
07-08-2013, 11:27 AM
I hit some canals in the rice fields by Richvale this weekend. I set 4 exploratory traps each about a mile apart in different canals. I intended to give them a 12 hour soak and see if I could determine which system had the biggest/most/bestest hunting grounds. Well, it ended up being a 10 hour soak and each trap had a solitary small (2 inch or so) crawdad in it... Bummer.. Thinking of going to Almanor or Bucks lake next weekend...

nvthis
07-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Oh also Definitely do not go into anyone's field/down someones road out there without permission. You will generally be met with some extremely unhappy farmers/ farm handsI am kind of curious about this.. Can you drive the roads next to the bigger canals? Or do the farmers own those? If I could pull down those aways, I would definitely feel a little easier about leaving traps out there for an extended amount of time. Also... Anyone know anything about Motocross City USA out in Marysville where the Feather and Yuba meet? Is there night access? Might be a good place to go and actively catch them. The website says there is camping but the gates close at night. However, a quick look on Google Maps and there are a lot of access points..

WHT.RUS
07-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Going to soak couple pots on AR today :)

Katfish
07-08-2013, 01:16 PM
I am kind of curious about this.. Can you drive the roads next to the bigger canals? Or do the farmers own those? If I could pull down those aways, I would definitely feel a little easier about leaving traps out there for an extended amount of time. Also... Anyone know anything about Motocross City USA out in Marysville where the Feather and Yuba meet? Is there night access? Might be a good place to go and actively catch them. The website says there is camping but the gates close at night. However, a quick look on Google Maps and there are a lot of access points..

Lots of access yes and at night you generally don't need to worry about the Leo's. I've never had them bother me for being there at night. It's the weirdo druggies that you need to worry about. I wouldn't go alone. If you do, bring some protection. A lot of trouble out there after dark...

WHT.RUS
07-08-2013, 01:39 PM
How many traps is one person allowed to fish with?

49erbassman
07-08-2013, 02:13 PM
be careful at the motorcross area......bunch of tweekers and drunks during the day and some bad homeless folks at night. I never tried it at night after I seen all the broken down campers hiding in the trees down there. The LEO's need to do a better job of enforcement with regards to transients.

49erbassman
07-08-2013, 02:23 PM
How many traps is one person allowed to fish with?

No limit to my knowledge unless the waters your fishing in have special regs. Crayfish itself has no limit but the trap cannot be over 3' in greatest dimension

WHT.RUS
07-08-2013, 02:38 PM
No limit to my knowledge unless the waters your fishing in have special regs. Crayfish itself has no limit but the trap cannot be over 3' in greatest dimension

Thanks brother! Will let ya know how it goes:)

Katfish
07-08-2013, 02:42 PM

Yeah no limit on traps or dads.

49erbassman
07-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks brother! Will let ya know how it goes:)

Funny thing is I was debating on dropping one in myself today lol

Fish on!

WHT.RUS
07-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Funny thing is I was debating on dropping one in myself today lol

Fish on!

Great minds think alike :p

WHT.RUS
07-08-2013, 06:07 PM
48 caught in 2.5 hrs! Cheers :)

CAL.NDN
07-08-2013, 06:09 PM
No pic didnt happen.

49erbassman
07-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Damn I just scouted a couple spots. I was worried it will get stolen so I need to drop off at night and pick up in am or something lol

Fish on!

WHT.RUS
07-08-2013, 06:40 PM
I won't eat them, but my inlaws will enjoy them!

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn48/mrvarrickwb/null_zpsaf22d8ce.jpg

WHT.RUS
07-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Here's one more

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn48/mrvarrickwb/null_zpsdc460180.jpg

CAL.NDN
07-08-2013, 06:56 PM
I guess it happened. Do you eat anything you catch????? Or just fast food lol.

WHT.RUS
07-08-2013, 07:07 PM
I guess it happened. Do you eat anything you catch????? Or just fast food lol.

Maybe once a year if that lol.
Mouth watering yet!?

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn48/mrvarrickwb/null_zps1b4afe50.jpg

CAL.NDN
07-08-2013, 07:22 PM
A lil bit. Being i had a grilled chicken salad for dinner. Not very fat man friendly. Them soaked in butter would be nice.

BaitMaster
07-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Anyone in the Elk Grove/S.Sac area looking to throw some exploratory traps?

Growing up, my brother and i would do REALLY good in the laguna creek system, right under the 99 bridge.... After they diverted the creek and shuffled stuff around on the west side of the freeway, it was like a ghost town for dads.

I wouldn't eat them NOW... just curious if they made a comeback or not.

Damn, i need to get off my butt and get/make some traps:)

WLShafor
07-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Nice haul in numbers but the Crawdads look dark maybe you trapped them in a lake or a pesticide canal run off?

Can't complain anything is better then nothing & you caught plenty!

Nice work keep it up

I'm waiting for some of the clear water creeks to warm up slightly more. Nothing taste better then clear water creek/river Crawdads

I won't eat them, but my inlaws will enjoy them!

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn48/mrvarrickwb/null_zpsaf22d8ce.jpg

WHT.RUS
07-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Lol canal? Nope, AR. Taken with my camera in shade so not the best color!

Katfish
07-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Pulled a trap today to find 23 of the biggest dads I've ever seen in my life. Not a single one under 7 inches long and one was actually 9 and a half!!!. I've caught/seen a lot of crawdads, and these were some of the biggest baddest suckers I've ever got in my traps before!

WLShafor
07-09-2013, 09:57 PM
lol that's correct my bad! I forgot you mentioned the AR. Those Crawdads ha some nice claws on them I'm guess that the crawdads where 6-8 inches long?

Also the picture showing them all cooked up looked tasty! Care to share what you used?

Lol canal? Nope, AR. Taken with my camera in shade so not the best color!

WHT.RUS
07-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, little Kayan, lemon and a bit of basil. My inlaws ate them and said they were delicious! Haven't eaten a single one myself though :p

Katfish
07-09-2013, 10:02 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/10/paza5yva.jpg

Katfish
07-09-2013, 11:32 PM
After doing a little bit I further investigation of my trap I found this lil guy trapped inside :)
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/10/emu7a4aq.jpg

Just starting to grow his back legs

First one I ever caught in a Crawdad trap.

Katfish
07-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Make that the first TWO I ever caught!:) lol

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/10/3avuqape.jpg

striperking13
07-10-2013, 12:16 AM
Hey Russell, i am gonna have to bring my traps up and catch boat loads with u lol...

Katfish
07-10-2013, 01:06 AM
Hey Russell, i am gonna have to bring my traps up and catch boat loads with u lol...

Of course brother anytime!!!!!

Katfish
07-10-2013, 01:11 AM
So I decided to make a late night meal of my fresh monster dads and boy were they tasty!! Did my full on New Orleans style Crawdad boil. No shortcuts :)

Pretty sweet when your tails are longer and fatter than your thumb is :)
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/10/7evyzu3u.jpg

Crawdads THOROUGHLY cleaned, tailed and clawed. Seasoned plus fresh onion and garlic
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/10/hezunuzu.jpg

Doin the boilin thing
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/10/6upy4a6y.jpg

The finished masterpiece
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/10/e9unahem.jpg

Best Dam Crawdads I've had in a long time :)

striperking13
07-10-2013, 01:39 AM
damn... those claws are pretty big...

nvthis
07-10-2013, 01:45 PM
So I decided to make a late night meal of my fresh monster dads and boy were they tasty!! Did my full on New Orleans style Crawdad boil. No shortcuts :)

Pretty sweet when your tails are longer and fatter than your thumb is :)

Best Dam Crawdads I've had in a long time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2You win. Your spot is awesome! My look alike spots cannot hold a candle to that. At least not yet.

nvthis
07-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Lots of access yes and at night you generally don't need to worry about the Leo's. I've never had them bother me for being there at night. It's the weirdo druggies that you need to worry about. I wouldn't go alone. If you do, bring some protection. A lot of trouble out there after dark...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 Yeah, I saw on Google maps all the tarps and run down trailers out there. Mostly they look to be south of hwy70. If I go, I will definitely be hanging to the north (eastern) end. I am allergic to tweakers....

nvthis
07-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Also... I would say any tadpoles in your catch is a real good sign. I think amphibians are notoriously sensitive to pesticides and other nasties and having them in good health has to be a good thing... But, I guess the same could be said of crawdads.. I dunno. They look good to me.

Katfish
07-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I saw on Google maps all the tarps and run down trailers out there. Mostly they look to be south of hwy70. If I go, I will definitely be hanging to the north (eastern) end. I am allergic to tweakers....

Me too.. HIGHLY allergic. Lol

They're spread all over those river bottoms trust me run into TONS of em when I scout the rivers.

If your headed up alone let me know man I'd be happy to tag along with you. Less likely to mess with two guys than they are one guy all alone ya know.

Katfish
07-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Also... I would say any tadpoles in your catch is a real good sign. I think amphibians are notoriously sensitive to pesticides and other nasties and having them in good health has to be a good thing... But, I guess the same could be said of crawdads.. I dunno. They look good to me.

You are correct having healthy tadpoles is a sign of good clean water. The water where I get mine Is very fresh.

Crawdads however are notorious for being largely unaffected by toxins in the water/ pesticides etc... They actually say crawdads do not retain the toxins from the water in their bodies... Just a little info to throw out there for you guys if anyone was wondering

WLShafor
07-10-2013, 04:51 PM
IDK but that spot was good 2 years ago. Maybe you should scout it out for us all ;)

Anyone in the Elk Grove/S.Sac area looking to throw some exploratory traps?

Growing up, my brother and i would do REALLY good in the laguna creek system, right under the 99 bridge.... After they diverted the creek and shuffled stuff around on the west side of the freeway, it was like a ghost town for dads.

I wouldn't eat them NOW... just curious if they made a comeback or not.

Damn, i need to get off my butt and get/make some traps:)

BaitMaster
07-10-2013, 05:53 PM
IDK but that spot was good 2 years ago. Maybe you should scout it out for us all ;)

I might just do that :)

WLShafor
07-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Went to pick up 2 traps today & surprisingly they are missing! I covered them very well.

Just a heads up to everyone be careful where you drop your traps you never know who is watching you even if your in the middle of nowhere.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/12/eraputes.jpg

CAL.NDN
07-11-2013, 11:03 AM
That sucks!!!!!!! Where's waldo traps not cool.

striperking13
07-11-2013, 11:16 AM
That's y i hate leaving them overnight. I rather drop and fish and then collect later ehhehe just my style...FISH ON

Grant916
07-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Tried soaking some traps overnight on the American just North of Watt ave with canned catfood of a seafood variety for bait. Results are in....NADA. At least nobody stole our traps. First time trying on the American. I think it's probably better farther up river toward Rancho and above.

WHT.RUS
07-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Lol its funny to read the no crawdad reports on AR! You guys need to find better bottoms! Look for cliffs with little crawdad caves, boulders and rocks with caves etc!

49erbassman
07-12-2013, 11:40 AM
AR has dads everywhere!!

Fish on!

nvthis
07-12-2013, 03:24 PM
If your headed up alone let me know man I'd be happy to tag along with you. Less likely to mess with two guys than they are one guy all alone ya know.

Sounds good, Kat. How much notice do you need?

nvthis
07-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Went to pick up 2 traps today & surprisingly they are missing! I covered them very well.

Just a heads up to everyone be careful where you drop your traps you never know who is watching you even if your in the middle of nowhere.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/12/eraputes.jpg

Don't rush things! Anything worth having is worth waiting for.Man, I was going to joke about finding two traps you could have, but that's crappy. That just sucks....

WLShafor
07-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Ill take donation traps any day. Looks like ill have to budget in getting traps. I'm bummed about not having traps I really enjoy Crawdads!

Also work is slow for a few days - weeks so looks like ill be pinching my penny's even tighter. Dunno when I'll be back to trapping lawn lobsters I hope within a few weeks.

Man, I was going to joke about finding two traps you could have, but that's crappy. That just sucks....

Grant916
07-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Tried soaking some traps overnight on the American just North of Watt ave with canned catfood of a seafood variety for bait. Results are in....NADA. At least nobody stole our traps. First time trying on the American. I think it's probably better farther up river toward Rancho and above.

I tried soaking some traps while fishing the "Minnow Hole" on the Sac Friday night. We caught some this time and while shining my flashlight on the traps to check them I could see those things everywhere. Pulled the traps to see a bunch of them in there before dropping them back down to catch some more. That's when I realized what must have happended on the AR. My traps suck! I was trying the collapsable kind that fold into a backpack but realized that because the holes that let them crawl in don't have a reverse cone on them they crawl right back out when they are done eating my bait. Ordered some new steel traps today. I'm certain we will do much better after getting the new traps in.

rugermac
07-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Am I required to put my fishing LIC# on my float when using a crawdad trap? I thought I thought I heeard something about this years ago but couldn't find anything in the REGs.

After reading all these post about Crawdading and building your own nets I went out and built one and want to toss it out tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Adam

Katfish
07-19-2013, 10:45 PM
Am I required to put my fishing LIC# on my float when using a crawdad trap? I thought I thought I heeard something about this years ago but couldn't find anything in the REGs.

After reading all these post about Crawdading and building your own nets I went out and built one and want to toss it out tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Adam

Glad to hear you were inspired.

You do not need to put your fishing license anywhere on the traps..

Are you putting the traps on private land? If on public I would skip the float. Most likely wont have a trap when you come back.

Good luck out there let us know how it goes!

rugermac
07-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I wasn't planning on using a float for that sole reason of it might not be there when i come back.

I was going to use one if i needed to put any of my info on it .

thanks a lot

Adam

WLShafor
07-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Got close to 40 or 50 Crayfish from the Delta near Isleton CA traps where soaking for 14 hours.

After doing research via google & talking to people who flip rocks or dive for crayfish/Crawdads I have found out that the freshwater ones in northern California are called Brown Crayfish & the red Crayfish/Crawdads are from rice fields or farmed.

Anyways I had two monster lawn lobsters and the average size was 4-5 inches the monster mini lobsters where pushing 6 inches +

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/22/yjyhyse5.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/22/ypasa4u3.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/22/na5e4aze.jpg

WHT.RUS
07-21-2013, 08:48 PM
On the first pic, is it raising one of the claws? If not, dam, that a a weird looking thing!

Katfish
07-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Got close to 40 or 50 Crayfish from the Delta near Isleton CA traps where soaking for 14 hours.

After doing research via google & talking to people who flip rocks or dive for crayfish/Crawdads I have found out that the freshwater ones in northern California are called Brown Crayfish & the red Crayfish/Crawdads are from rice fields or farmed.

Anyways I had two monster lawn lobsters and the average size was 4-5 inches the monster mini lobsters where pushing 6 inches +

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/22/ypasa4u3.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/22/na5e4aze.jpg

A lot of the crawdads from rice fields get there directly from a freshwater source.

I have caught crawdads of just about all colors of the rainbow. Lol

All the ones from the delta area ive seen are always that brown color

Nice catch some good sized dads in there.

striperking13
07-21-2013, 11:26 PM
Those brown one's seem to have more tail meat then the regular red craws... But i think their not as plentiful as the red claws. FISH ON

WhopperStopper
07-21-2013, 11:34 PM
I think the species of the brown ones that are caught around here are signal crayfish that are native to this area and the red ones are called red swamp crayfish which have been introduced and are native to the American southeast.

BIG_ONE
07-21-2013, 11:46 PM
Rice Field dads' and CA Delta dad's are not quite the same. These rice field crawdads were imported from other states and introduced to get rid of the pest for the crops(something like that). It then bloom into a massive number of craws...that's where the harvesting of rice field dad's started. Delta dads' are much thicker and bigger than those red craw...and are considered high quality by the French standards.

Katfish
07-21-2013, 11:58 PM
The color really isn't a definitive indication...

I have caught brown craws from rice fields

I have caught bright red craws from the rivers

I have caught blue, green, purple, orange, yellow, and even a few that were nearly black they were so dark.

WhopperStopper
07-22-2013, 01:06 AM
USGS Fact Sheet 2011?3132: Invasive Crayfish in the Pacific Northwest (http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2011/3132/) this is the link for good info regarding crawfish indentification. Color is not the only factor used to determine species. The link is a report published by the USGS.

Katfish
07-22-2013, 01:17 AM
USGS Fact Sheet 2011?3132: Invasive Crayfish in the Pacific Northwest (http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2011/3132/) this is the link for good info regarding crawfish indentification. Color is not the only factor used to determine species. The link is a report published by the USGS.

Good link right there.

All very common crawdads to catch in Northern California

WhopperStopper
07-22-2013, 01:18 AM
One of the major distinguishing factors for the signal crayfish is the white spot located at the joint of the pincers aand as for the red swamp crayfish, they generally have narrow pincers and are covered with small bumbs or tubercles and appear rough or grainy.

nvthis
07-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Good link.. I have caught those I think, and many in between. Do they cross breed? I catch a lot of signals with the smooth claws and a lot of signal bodied ones without the white patch and bumpy, nubly claws, all in the same water. By the way, my biggest to date was a red that went 11 3/4" from tip to tip in Almanor back in the 90's.. If I remember it true, the claws themselves were 3" long.

WLShafor
07-22-2013, 10:51 AM
nvthis that's a lawn lobster for sure! 11inches WOW

danweasel
07-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Well I am inspired as well. I have never cooked crawdads before but I just found what seems to be a great spot. My buddy dumped the last of his bag of trout roe into the water while we were bank fishing and next time we looked it was SWARMING with big signal crawdads.

So, can someone give me the quick and dirty on how to prep and cook them?

If this pans out I'll post my spot but I wanna try it out first. To make sure I don't lead anyone astray and/or look like a dummy.

Thanks!

-Dan

WLShafor
07-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Dan, the easiest way to cook them is get a pot fill it up with water and add Zatarains Crawfish Shrimp and Crab Boil - Seasoning you can find this at most markets. Let the seasoning boil in the water for 10 minutes then add your live Crawdads into the water cook them for 2-5 minutes then you pull/twist the tail off from the body and crack open the tail. Make sure to remove the mud-vain them enjoy! For the claws just crack them open and enjoy!

It's the same as eating a lobster but much smaller.

Enjoy

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/23/8uvumema.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/23/ygy7yra2.jpg

rugermac
07-22-2013, 03:58 PM
I put out my net last night on the Sac river in between Knights landing and woodland. Checked this morning and nothing

nvthis
07-22-2013, 04:24 PM
nvthis that's a lawn lobster for sure! 11inches WOWDude!!! Those claws are bigger than the rest of the tails!! That was a nice find. The one I got was the biggest of a gunny sack full of big ones, but no more meat in the tail than the smaller ones...

Katfish
07-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Well I am inspired as well. I have never cooked crawdads before but I just found what seems to be a great spot. My buddy dumped the last of his bag of trout roe into the water while we were bank fishing and next time we looked it was SWARMING with big signal crawdads.

So, can someone give me the quick and dirty on how to prep and cook them?

If this pans out I'll post my spot but I wanna try it out first. To make sure I don't lead anyone astray and/or look like a dummy.

Thanks!

-Dan

Rinse the crawdads well. I like to do three to four rinses with cold water.

A lot of people cook them whole however I prefer to take the tails off before I cook them. The reason I do this is simple. If you cook them the mud vein is a pain in the *** to get out but if you do it before cooking it comes out very easy. Just pull on the middle at the end of the tail and the whole vein comes right out.

Plus you can eat em faster when you do it this way. Lol

Final bonus is it will soak up much more flavor from your seasonings.

Start with some name brand crawfish and shrimp boils an go from there until you have a recipe you like!

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask!! :)

danweasel
07-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Sweet fellas, thanks!

Do you have to rinse them in salt water or is that just an option? My wife says she heard that somewhere.

-Dan

BIG_ONE
07-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Sweet fellas, thanks!

Do you have to rinse them in salt water or is that just an option? My wife says she heard that somewhere.

-Dan

Letting them sit in saltwater for a few hours will help clean the muddy flavor...not completely but a very noticeable difference from just rinsing them. Where they come from has a lot to do with how strong the mud flavor/aftertaste will also be...

nvthis
07-22-2013, 06:49 PM
While attempting to find that perfect boil I recently tried this: 3 bud lights and a large bottle of tomato juice, some water and Zats crawfish boil and tooo much red pepper flake. Further refinement might be needed but it came out really nice. A second opinion would be cool, if anyone's willing to try it....

nvthis
07-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Well, figuring I may be trapping in some higher risk areas this year I took the plunge and bought some supplies. Lots of hardware cloth and wire. I'll try to follow Shasta Steve's tech and build a few I won't mind losing.. However, I couldn't seem to locate any of the short little bungees for the doors...

Grant916
07-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Well, figuring I may be trapping in some higher risk areas this year I took the plunge and bought some supplies. Lots of hardware cloth and wire. I'll try to follow Shasta Steve's tech and build a few I won't mind losing.. However, I couldn't seem to locate any of the short little bungees for the doors...

The dollar stores often carry the short bungees for the doors and the best part about buying them there obviously is that they are only a buck!

shasta_steve
07-25-2013, 12:37 PM

I think lowes has them but pretty sure I go those at harbor freight. Harbor freight usually cheap mechanics wire too.

WLShafor
07-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Referring to this picture? I think it's regrowing it's arm IDK but it is a small arm.

On the first pic, is it raising one of the claws? If not, dam, that a a weird looking thing!

Mr. Hotsauce
07-25-2013, 01:02 PM
I've never bothered to take out the mud vein...is it bad? Anyways, anyone know of a good spot they like to share where I can get some craws? I'll pay you guys for your spot and catch them myself or buy some if you have any to sell.

WLShafor
07-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Tap water is fine saltwater would be good also. It's really up to you.

You can buy a rubber made tub from target or use a 5 gallon bucket. Fill up with water put the Crawdads in and let them cycle the new water. Then you can put them in you sink and run water over each on or however many you want to do or just toss them in a boiling pot of water cook & enjoy.

Sweet fellas, thanks!

-Dan

Katfish
07-25-2013, 01:04 PM
I've never bothered to take out the mud vein...is it bad? Anyways, anyone know of a good spot they like to share where I can get some craws? I'll pay you guys for your spot and catch them myself or buy some if you have any to sell.

Idk that its bad... But it sure tastes like s***!!!

Lol

Seriously though remove the mud vein next time for optimum quality ;)

Pm me ill hook you up with a spot or two.

WLShafor
07-25-2013, 01:11 PM
If your looking to buy I'd recommend buying from Kelly! He is a commercial trapper and has a booth at the Sacramento Farmers Market on Sundays in the summer time. I'd recommend getting there early when the market opens if you show up pass 11am or 12pm he will be sold out.

The farmers market is 24th & X st under the highway

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/26/tatu5u5y.jpg

WLShafor
07-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Anyone trapped along the Sac River near the airport or knights landing?

Mr. Hotsauce
07-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Idk that its bad... But it sure tastes like s***!!!

Lol

Seriously though remove the mud vein next time for optimum quality ;)

Pm me ill hook you up with a spot or two.

LOL...I've never payed any attention to it and never tasted any thing bad...I dont know if it's the way I cook it or not. But I like to boil it with some Tampico Orange flavor juice. Really gets rids of the muddy flavor and adds some flavor. Throw some powdered crayfish mix in it and what goes great with it is some lemon pepper. Toss in some whole shrimp with the heads, sausages, potatoes (reds ones for me) and it's a done deal. But the best part is the hot sauce dip! Add some butter with it and its even better. I dont think I would be able to eat as much if it werent for the hot sauce.

nvthis
07-26-2013, 08:09 AM
But the best part is the hot sauce dip!Hell yeah!

nvthis
07-26-2013, 08:10 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/26/tatu5u5y.jpg
WLS, man, get this guy to sign up!

WLShafor
07-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Kelly might be to busy commercially fishing but I will pass the word on!

WLS, man, get this guy to sign up!

WLShafor
07-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Cache Slough doing well right now!

This is today's catch 6 1/2 lbs total

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/29/e4eqysez.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/29/arejyvev.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/29/eze6yhe6.jpg

striperking13
07-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Cache Slough doing well right now!

This is today's catch 6 1/2 lbs total

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/29/e4eqysez.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/29/arejyvev.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/29/eze6yhe6.jpg

Love the before and after pix lol... Good eating there...

Grant916
07-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Soaked a couple traps with sardines for bait on the Sac river while fishing last night. Fished from 9-11pm caught no fish not even a nibble but did get these. Biggest ones I've seen so far. Cooked them last night for a late night feast. Counted exactly 50 and most were big enough to attack the claws too.

saizo
07-30-2013, 01:02 PM
I just saw the thread. Where have I been at? Lol. Just some crawdaddy porn. Every last bug was eaten. First we had a old fashion southern crawdad feast, red potatoes corn hot sausage and about three hundred crawfish. Second trip yielded a little less crawfish but the ave size got bigger. These were used to make Cajun ettufee. We added king crab chunks for more meat. Ettufee over rice has to be one of the best things I've eaten this year!!1583315834
That's the big cooler from Costco.

Grant916
07-30-2013, 02:45 PM
I just saw the thread. Where have I been at? Lol. Just some crawdaddy porn. Every last bug was eaten. First we had a old fashion southern crawdad feast, red potatoes corn hot sausage and about three hundred crawfish. Second trip yielded a little less crawfish but the ave size got bigger. These were used to make Cajun ettufee. We added king crab chunks for more meat. Ettufee over rice has to be one of the best things I've eaten this year!!1583315834
That's the big cooler from Costco.

How many traps did you have to lay out for that big of a pull? Sac or American River?

saizo
07-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Three of us threw 12 traps total. Mountain lakes. With the river bugs or rice field bugs I would recommend the salt water purge also. These mountain bugs don't really need it. But if you are one who don't remove the poop shoot then I would purge in clean water for at least a day. Clean water and an air stone will do wonders. No muddy taste on my crawdads cuse there's no mud for them to hide in lol.

Grant916
07-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Three of us threw 12 traps total. Mountain lakes. With the river bugs or rice field bugs I would recommend the salt water purge also. These mountain bugs don't really need it. But if you are one who don't remove the poop shoot then I would purge in clean water for at least a day. Clean water and an air stone will do wonders. No muddy taste on my crawdads cuse there's no mud for them to hide in lol.

I purged them in Salt water for about an hour. No poop. I found like one that did but i just remove it and chomp away.

Katfish
07-30-2013, 04:04 PM
I purged them in Salt water for about an hour. No poop. I found like one that did but i just remove it and chomp away.

I Think he was referring to the mud vein. Lol

Grant916
07-31-2013, 01:58 PM
I Think he was referring to the mud vein. Lol

Yes I am aware of that Katfish. That's what I was talking about too buddy.

Katfish
07-31-2013, 02:00 PM
Yes I am aware of that Katfish. That's what I was talking about too buddy.

My bad bro I got confused... Again.. :confused: lol

WhopperStopper
07-31-2013, 04:32 PM
Great job to the guys getting them. Those all look like jumbo signal craws.

QueenAnnesRevenge
08-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Bored today and a little motivated from reading this thread i walked to the creek behind my house with a line and some hot dogs, cut a stick and started "fishing" then my daughter starts losing her s#/+ because she sees a lobster" and well she caught these 7 and probably lost three times as many fun afternoonhttp://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t549/armassi/IMAG0037_zpsa5c230f7.jpg

BaitMaster
08-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Bored today and a little motivated from reading this thread i walked to the creek behind my house with a line and some hot dogs, cut a stick and started "fishing" then my daughter starts losing her s#/+ because she sees a lobster" and well she caught these 7 and probably lost three times as many fun afternoon

Haha, Nice!

I used to catch them like that when i was a boy... Then i swiftly graduated to homemade traps:)

BaitMaster
08-01-2013, 04:41 PM
It could be a fun little project to build a small crawdad trap with your daughter?

How to Make a Crawfish Trap: 18 Steps - wikiHow (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Crawfish-Trap)

I'm sure you could do all the cutting and modify it a bit so you can actually get the crawdads out, but yeah, could be fun!

QueenAnnesRevenge
08-01-2013, 05:03 PM
That's awesome, I drove all the way to wild sports to look at their traps, forgot, bought some crap I don't.need and drove home :/ I might have to give the 2 liter bottles a try haha

nvthis
08-01-2013, 05:09 PM
a little motivated from reading this thread Our work here is done.... :D

nvthis
08-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Trapped in the Feather River last night.. (The two reds were from a local lake)..

WLShafor
08-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Nice job! Looks tasty!

Soaked a couple traps with sardines for bait on the Sac river while fishing last night. Fished from 9-11pm caught no fish not even a nibble but did get these. Biggest ones I've seen so far. Cooked them last night for a late night feast. Counted exactly 50 and most were big enough to attack the claws too.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/05/ra3ape5y.jpg

Grant916
08-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Trapped in the Feather River last night.. (The two reds were from a local lake)..

Nice score on the dads. I am surprised to see the reds you got out of the lake are bigger than the river dads. It's usually the other way around. Good eats. Enjoy!

nvthis
08-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Last nights take. Feather River. Again... Also... When I pulled these in, with in 90 seconds, I had 4 escapees jump the traps through the trap holes. I got 2 back, but I could not believe how easy it was for them to let themselves out. I don't think I am maximizing my catch....

nvthis
08-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Smile.. Braaaaaaah! Haha.. Guys, seriously... I need that pick up truck bed full of crawdads hook up...

Katfish
08-11-2013, 12:50 AM
Smile.. Braaaaaaah! Haha.. Guys, seriously... I need that pick up truck bed full of crawdads hook up...

Keep at it and get some more traps and you'll be there one day :grin:

They shouldn't get out of your traps so easily... Something's wrong there man...

I drive home with traps FULL and sometimes leave em outside for an hour or two and never lose any from mine...

Katfish
08-11-2013, 12:57 AM
Sounds good, Kat. How much notice do you need?

Dang never saw this man. In sorry haha.

If your headed up this way let me know if I'm available ill join you happily :)

nvthis
08-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Something's wrong there man...

I drive home with traps FULL and sometimes leave em outside for an hour or two and never lose any from mine...

Yeah, it was from the black ones, which were bought as minnow traps and I widened the holes a little. However, when I look at those compared to the others there's no noticeable difference? Eh, who knows lol..
Dang never saw this man. In sorry haha.

If your headed up this way let me know if I'm available ill join you happily :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2Cool, maybe this weekend. I can bring a few traps, but looking at that place on google it looks like there could be a lot of just straight catchin' 'em ;)

BaitMaster
08-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Last nights take. Feather River. Again... Also... When I pulled these in, with in 90 seconds, I had 4 escapees jump the traps through the trap holes. I got 2 back, but I could not believe how easy it was for them to let themselves out. I don't think I am maximizing my catch....

I'm not an expert, but your traps might be too small (diameter wise) for the size of crawdads your catching....

I'm thinking homemade traps with a bigger diameter will put more distance between the funnel opening and the bottom of the trap.

Assuming you saw crawdads exiting the trap, and not just newcomers that hadn't taken the plunge into your trap yet?

BaitMaster
08-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Oh ok, I misunderstood what you said... they were getting out AFTER you pulled them, lol.

I heard something about a pvc pipe modification to fix your problem. Let me search google real quick.

BaitMaster
08-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Ok, adding a 3"-4" piece of pvc to the end of your funnel will make it harder for them to get back out.

I'm sure you can find something comparable, maybe even some milk carton plastic rolled into a tube and then duct taped?.... then just poke holes and secure it to the end of your funnel with bread ties.

nvthis
08-11-2013, 12:51 PM
I see potential in that.. I am about to make (homemake) some traps, so maybe that might get incorporated into those somehow...

WLShafor
08-24-2013, 09:53 AM
nice one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

nvthis
08-31-2013, 01:25 PM
I heard from a friend that they are starting to drain the rice fields. I went down, purely out of curiosity. I don't know what, exactly, I was looking for, but I was looking. There were small crawdads everywhere. Crawling on the dirt on the side of the road, crawling on the banks of some canals.. I grabbed a few, but not too many were of the large variety. I think if I would have trapped, I might have killed it. There were lots and lots of large frogs though. Enough for breakfast, anyway.. So one thing though, and maybe someone here could give me a little rice field knowledge... While I was out there, it sounded like the duck season opened in the middle of the night. Honestly, shotgun blasts everywhere, all night long. It occurred to me maybe it is some type of automated anti-bird thing? I dunno, but it sounded like world war III. I could even hear them while driving.

WLShafor
09-04-2013, 05:45 PM
4 ounce mini lawn lobster with 3 inch claws!

Still pulling them out and they seem to be getting bigger!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/05/6usumuhy.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/05/9y5ada7y.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/05/da5eva5u.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/05/ebyruhyz.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/05/u2ehevuj.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/05/utypysy8.jpg

WLShafor
09-04-2013, 05:48 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/05/udabe8y9.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/05/amejy2ar.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/05/ajy9eseb.jpg

danweasel
09-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Did you ever find anything out about the shotguns?

-Dan

fishingfrieda
09-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Those look delicious!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

dsa2780
09-04-2013, 10:22 PM

-Dan

Dove season opened September 1st.

Those craws look pretty great. I did a smaller scale boil from earlier this summer of hand trapped Freeport lobster craws boiled with fresh dill, water and lots of beer in the boil. More of a Finnish Swede thing, but was still great.

Katfish
09-04-2013, 10:36 PM

-Dan

Hm? ??? :confused:

danweasel
09-05-2013, 07:49 AM
About the shotguns, nvthis was saying that he heard a lot of shotgun blasts coming from the fields in the middle of the night but didn't know why.

People don't hunt doves at night do they?

-Dan

IronClad
09-05-2013, 08:01 AM
no but people do hunt coyotes at night and that is a shot gun only affair so could have been that

WhopperStopper
09-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Wow WLShafor.....that is a supreme crawdaddy. Those claws are massive. If there were crawdad arm wrestling, my money would definitely be on that guy.

nvthis
09-07-2013, 01:00 AM
I have no idea why the gun blasts.. It sounded just like July 4th out there (sans the visuals). I was kinda hoping you guys would know. Next time I talk to my buddy, I'll ask him about it cuz I am pretty curious as to what was happening out there... I heard these from Princeton to almost hwy99. Miles and miles of shotgun blasts. Somebody has got to know something about it....

QueenAnnesRevenge
09-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Probably automated noise makers for rice fields, to keep pests out. Was it rhythmic and patterned?

IronClad
09-07-2013, 02:35 PM
yeah rice farmers would be having their cannons go off right now to scare away pests ( birds rats etc)

nvthis
09-08-2013, 02:30 PM
That was my guess as to what it must have been. Not rhythmic at all that I could notice.

WLShafor
09-09-2013, 05:56 AM
Thank you. Crawdad trapping is still going strong. My bait had been chicken fat cuttings from breast fillets & also fish guts.

Wow WLShafor.....that is a supreme crawdaddy. Those claws are massive. If there were crawdad arm wrestling, my money would definitely be on that guy.

dennis l
09-09-2013, 08:16 AM
The shooting was probally Dove hunters always opens !st Sept. Sounds like ww 3 here at the ranch for the first week.

nvthis
09-09-2013, 02:23 PM
The shooting was probally Dove hunters always opens !st Sept. Sounds like ww 3 here at the ranch for the first week. I am a dove hunter, soooooo.. No.. Dove season opened on a Sunday this year. I was there Friday night.. I am willing to bet it was a bunch of bird-b-gones..

nvthis
09-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Thought id share this event coming up!

http://s23.postimg.org/h8jzvownv/935421_370031636431957_1348730995_n.jpgThis weekend!

yangimage
09-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Any place in central Cali to get them crawdads.

nvthis
09-21-2013, 02:29 PM
River dads in the rain

nvthis
09-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Claw meat I mixed with salsa and some guac.. Num nums...

fishing mofo
09-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Claw meat I mixed with salsa and some guac.. Num nums...

I need to get down with a big ole pile of dads

That looks delicious man !

nvthis
09-25-2013, 07:08 AM
Ok, so I can only assume the season will be winding down soon and that's too bad. I actively fished for crawfish more this year than any other. However, numbers wise, I would hardly peg this as a banner year for me. Oh well. Next year might me different, right? Either way, I have rewarded myself with claw meat all summer while stripping the raw tail meat from the shell and freezing it in vacuum packs. Time to dip into that a little.. And I did. So, here it is.. Homemade 'Dad pizza, with red jalapenos and linguica sausage. Yum!!!

WLShafor
09-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Damn that sounds amazing!

Ok, so I can only assume the season will be winding down soon and that's too bad. I actively fished for crawfish more this year than any other. However, numbers wise, I would hardly peg this as a banner year for me. Oh well. Next year might me different, right? Either way, I have rewarded myself with claw meat all summer while stripping the raw tail meat from the shell and freezing it in vacuum packs. Time to dip into that a little.. And I did. So, here it is.. Homemade 'Dad pizza, with red jalapenos and linguica sausage. Yum!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

WLShafor
09-25-2013, 03:16 PM
All the farmers are draining rice fields and harvesting the rice. I pulled my traps to find some good size red crawdads on Sunday trapped close to 3 pounds using raw turkey meat & elastic to wrap anchovies around the meat. First time trying this bait idea.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/26/8u4u5u9y.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/26/e2ete9ag.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/26/uvu3adyj.jpg

WLShafor
09-25-2013, 03:22 PM
River & lake crawdads should still be easy to trap until the end of October.

Has anyone be trapping on the Sacramento River lately?

nvthis
10-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Paltry take this weekend. Definitely slowing down on the upper Feather. 25 dads, 5 traps. 2 came up empty, 2 had less than five. My deepest water trap carried the load while the shallower traps failed. So, I am in the process of building up my trap stock for next year. The first one I made, I spent a good deal of time on. It came out great however, I poked my hands a hundred times on the sharp wires of the contractors cloth. I am curious what you guys think would make a good covering/coats for these? I looked into 5 gal buckets of Plasti-Dip but the are $300+ and not good for keeping stuff on the cheap.. What do you guys think? Plastic roofing cement maybe? Wonder how much it would be to powder coat these? Just something to dull down the snags and finger pokes..

WhopperStopper
10-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Paltry take this weekend. Definitely slowing down on the upper Feather. 25 dads, 5 traps. 2 came up empty, 2 had less than five. My deepest water trap carried the load while the shallower traps failed. So, I am in the process of building up my trap stock for next year. The first one I made, I spent a good deal of time on. It came out great however, I poked my hands a hundred times on the sharp wires of the contractors cloth. I am curious what you guys think would make a good covering/coats for these? I looked into 5 gal buckets of Plasti-Dip but the are $300+ and not good for keeping stuff on the cheap.. What do you guys think? Plastic roofing cement maybe? Wonder how much it would be to powder coat these? Just something to dull down the snags and finger pokes..

Flex seal...its a aerosol spray can. I've seen it on an infomercial but some stores carry it. I'm sure lowes or home depot carry something like it

49erbassman
10-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Flex seal...its a aerosol spray can. I've seen it on an infomercial but some stores carry it. I'm sure lowes or home depot carry something like it

It's about $14 at the stores I have seen for one spray can. I thought about lining my old aluminum boat with it until I seen the cost. Not sure how much you would need to cover a trap effectively.

Fish on!