PDA

View Full Version : New Fisherman with limited experience wants to get back in the game

HappyPoppa
06-16-2013, 08:30 PM
It has been a very long time since I have fished consistently and thanks to my schedule now finally clearing up it is something I would like to start doing again. The problem is I cannot remember most of the fishing spots I used to go to as a kid and I have only gone a handful of time as an adult. I have an 8'6" UglyStick with a Daiwa BG60 reel at my disposal. I have most of the tackle I need to be able to fish from the bank. My question is where should I start fishing to get my feet wet again? I can go alone and am Lucky enough to have days off during the week to be able to go. Any suggestions for some good fishing holes in the Sacramento Area would be much appreciated.

Thank You!

salmonid
06-16-2013, 08:42 PM
I can't help much since I'm kinda new here, but where are you located in the Sac area? It could be some guys will have ideas for you if they know the area you're coming from. If you're in Sacramento, the American river (AR) is a great fishery most times of the year. If nobody else has ideas, you can look at previous posts to see what fish are returning on the AR when you want to fish. Salmon will be open next month on the American and Sac rivers, for example.

Best,

HappyPoppa
06-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Good point. I live in the Natomas Area but I am willing to drive anywhere within 30 minutes of Sacramento on most days. If the fishing is worth it I will go further.

fishingfrieda
06-17-2013, 06:42 AM
Hello HappyPoppa,
What species of fish do you like to fish for?

HappyPoppa
06-17-2013, 08:05 AM
Hello HappyPoppa,
What species of fish do you like to fish for?

Anything I can pull out of the water works for me! I am partial to stripers and cats but not enough to not fish for anything else.

fishingfrieda
06-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Anything I can pull out of the water works for me! I am partial to stripers and cats but not enough to not fish for anything else.

Well right around the corner is salmon and there is still enough time to gear up for the run which is rumored to he a good one this year. We are so lucky to live within driving distance of so many great places to fish! I am a new by so I don't have much advice to give but there is a salmon/steel head thread and you can read all the past post and get some really good information. Do you bank or boat?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Katfish
06-20-2013, 09:51 PM

Try the deep water canal. Plenty of action in there. Pm me for some good spots to hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

HappyPoppa
06-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Well right around the corner is salmon and there is still enough time to gear up for the run which is rumored to he a good one this year. We are so lucky to live within driving distance of so many great places to fish! I am a new by so I don't have much advice to give but there is a salmon/steel head thread and you can read all the past post and get some really good information. Do you bank or boat?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Right now I am bank fishing. I have been researching fishing from a kayak and it seems like it could be a blast. I have the green light from the wife so I will probably be testing out some yaks very soon.

HappyPoppa
06-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Try the deep water canal. Plenty of action in there. Pm me for some good spots to hit.

PM Sent!!!!!

HappyPoppa
06-22-2013, 07:36 AM
So my trip tonight had to be postponed. The good news is I have all afternoon and night to fish tomorrow. Since I have much more time I can now travel a bit further to find a good spot. Should I still hit DWC or maybe Knights Landing or the Sutter Bypass?

BIG_ONE
06-22-2013, 02:01 PM
I would prefer Sutter Bypass if your looking to get into some fish...like catfish. DWC is really silent at the moment. Knights Landing is a hit and miss...but better than DWC. But overall, I would choose Sutter Bypass at this time of year.

Katfish
06-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Don' t waste your time at the bypass right now unless your lookin for bass or panfish. Only certain areas are doin good on the cats right now. For someone who isn't familiar with the bypass my guess is your not going to do very well. At least dwc you will for sure be catching fish. Maybe not monsters but you'll catch fish....

HappyPoppa
06-24-2013, 07:58 AM
OK so I went fishing yesterday. We started at about 5 pm. My buddy wanted to fish at fishermans lake in Natomas (Natomas Canals) so we hit that for about 2 hours. Caught about 10 baby catfish. I would not eat anything out of here but we couldn't keep a line with crawlers in the water without it getting hit by a baby catfish. It would be a good place to take your kids as they have a great chance to catch some fish. We pulled out about 730 and drove to the DWC. Action was a bit slower at the DWC but we caught some more shaker stripers and baby cats. All in all we caught over 20 fish, just none that were worth keeping. It was a fun night though. Crawlers got more hits than our Chicken Livers.

Katfish
06-24-2013, 12:28 PM
OK so I went fishing yesterday. We started at about 5 pm. My buddy wanted to fish at fishermans lake in Natomas (Natomas Canals) so we hit that for about 2 hours. Caught about 10 baby catfish. I would not eat anything out of here but we couldn't keep a line with crawlers in the water without it getting hit by a baby catfish. It would be a good place to take your kids as they have a great chance to catch some fish. We pulled out about 730 and drove to the DWC. Action was a bit slower at the DWC but we caught some more shaker stripers and baby cats. All in all we caught over 20 fish, just none that were worth keeping. It was a fun night though. Crawlers got more hits than our Chicken Livers.

I thought when I was looking into fishermans lake last year I had read that it was no fishing....

So just curious... CAN you fish there?

Cali Duck
06-24-2013, 12:51 PM

DWC is good to catch stuff, but I've been getting a TON of shakers out of there lately. I hear the bigger game comes through in the Fall.

Have you tried Miller Park yet? Great, easy spot and plenty of fishermen out there to help you get back into the swing of things. Just don't get skunked! In any facet of the word...

HappyPoppa
06-24-2013, 08:24 PM
I thought when I was looking into fishermans lake last year I had read that it was no fishing....

So just curious... CAN you fish there?

U can fish fisherman's lake, it is just a small hike to get there from del paso road. There is a small lake right next to fisherman's lake that cannot be fished however, that might be the place you were thinking about. Fisherman's lake is basicly part of the natomas canals, it is just a part where it widens up.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Katfish
06-24-2013, 09:53 PM
U can fish fisherman's lake, it is just a small hike to get there from del paso road. There is a small lake right next to fisherman's lake that cannot be fished however, that might be the place you were thinking about. Fisherman's lake is basicly part of the natomas canals, it is just a part where it widens up.

Thanks for clarifying that. Was never sure and could never find an easy to read answer anywhere I looked lol

Katfish
06-24-2013, 09:56 PM

Maybe I was thinking about the other lake I don't remember to well anymore like I said it was a year or more ago when I looked I just remember reading something about one of em being closed so they could rebuild habitat or something...

Nor*Cal
06-25-2013, 07:40 AM
There was a thread about fishermans a while back where some folks were saying it was illegal to fish and others that it was okay. Jury is still out on that one!

lunkerdown
06-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Fisherman's Lake is not really a lake but a wide part of the Natomas canals. The fenced lake next to it is NOT Fisherman's Lake. Typing in Fisherman's Lake into Google maps will give you a look at where it exactly is.