PDA

View Full Version : rigging live anchovies or shiners

WhopperStopper
06-17-2013, 03:39 PM
All I have read/ heard/ or told about is to run a stinger hook when rigging live anchovies or shiners. Is the stinger hook all that necessary? Those live baits seem quite delicate and to me they would seem to be more lively without a treble pierced through their flesh. I have pretty much no experience fishing with them other than a rockie/ling trip years ago when we used live anchovies and sardines and qe just used one live bait hook through the lips. Any input would be helpful. Thanks guys.

fishslammer
06-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Anchovies use a single hook and the sardines use a stinger treble. Also we have gone to a no slide single hook on the sardines due to them arching and killing them

trk12fire
06-24-2013, 04:31 PM
The stringers hook is important because the Halibut will bite those anchovies in half and leave you with an anchovy head. I like to use a single hook opposed to a treble. The treble tends to collect a lot of debris.

ghostfish_slayer
06-26-2013, 08:51 AM
All I have read/ heard/ or told about is to run a stinger hook when rigging live anchovies or shiners. Is the stinger hook all that necessary? Those live baits seem quite delicate and to me they would seem to be more lively without a treble pierced through their flesh. I have pretty much no experience fishing with them other than a rockie/ling trip years ago when we used live anchovies and sardines and qe just used one live bait hook through the lips. Any input would be helpful. Thanks guys.

you can leave the stinger hanging either a single or trebble.. they both work.. anchovies i do not usually use a stinger.. i use smallest live bait hook straight up through the lips and nose to keep their jaw from unhinging.. sardines, smelt and span/macs i will hook sideways across their mouth or through the collar behind/under the side gill plate.. shiners i usually use again smallest single live bait hooks hooked between tail and dorsal top... never had a problem hooking with those tiny live bait hooks.. the ones about the size of a dime or nickle.. even circle hooks work good to.. bait stays on them well..