PDA

View Full Version : hiking and fishing in the foothills

ryanv829
06-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Took my girlfriend to do some fishing today and she outfished me once again. I did however spend most of my time tying knots for her rather than fishing myself so i didn't have much of a chance, or at least that was my excuse when she started getting big headed about it lol. I was going to roll with my fly rod but it was pretty windy outside so kastmasters did the most work for us today. Did more hiking than fishing but it was just nice to get out in the sun after working so many graveyard shifts at the hospital. Start to feel like a zombie after a while. Also saw a crazy ass rainbow that was in the shape of a ring around the sun. picture doesnt really do it justice, but it was pretty weird lookin.

Clearwaterkid
06-18-2013, 09:16 PM
May I ask how big your largest was?

ryanv829
06-18-2013, 09:21 PM
May I ask how big your largest was?

the one in the pic was the biggest, not sure how big though as i didn't have anything to measure it with

ryanv829
06-18-2013, 09:39 PM
and i should mention that the fish in the picture was hers, shes not much of a fan of handling them so I was helpin her out haha

CAL.NDN
06-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Good stuff. Sounds like you been hanging around RNP & JFIT.

Troutoholic
06-19-2013, 04:46 AM
Haha I love when the ladies need help with most every part of the process yet feel the need to brag and rub it in your face when they out fish you. :kermit: Gotta love em. I've recently become a full blown "sissy" with my "sissy stick" and can't get off it. I used to slay the sierras with spinning gear, but I got "bit by the fly" you could say and haven't stopped....yet when it's windy with line all over the place I'm missing the Kmaster for sure! Tight lines

RideNfish
06-19-2013, 07:23 AM
Great job Ryan and girl friend!

Good try on the excuses. That is a great trout. After tying knots for her she should at least handle them. haha

The rainbow around the sun is caused by ice crystals in a thin layer of clouds. They go over it on the news every year and did last night. (in case you were wondering) LOL

Bring on more reports!

BigUnInDaBoat
06-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Sonora, CA -- If you looked up at the sun this afternoon, be sure to use proper eye protection, and enjoy an uncommon rainbow around the sun. The rainbow around the sun is also known as a 22 degree halo, or sun halo. It can occur around the moon as well and is not extremely rare but depends on the specific conditions combining at the right angle.A similar sun halo was seen in Seattle, Washington on June 15th, today's phenomenon was also seen in Sacramento.The rainbow is caused by light refracting off tiny ice crystals contained in high barely visible cirrostratus clouds. For conditions to be right the ice crystals must be between the sun and the observer when the sun or moon is very high in the sky.

If that is the stretch below Tulloch (looks like it to me) make sure you read the regs. It's barbless/no retention in some stretches. Usually lots of fly fishermen there.

Arkamaic
06-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Nice fish guys! Looking to get myself a trip further into the hills at Bowman lake in a week =)