PDA

View Full Version : Salmon "Bones" Good Eating

oldgeezer71
06-20-2013, 10:28 AM
A few years ago my wife and I began salmon fishing with a group of friends and former classmates, most of which are retired, at Vieira's Resort in Rio Vista. All of us show up at the RV park there and fish the entire month of October. A good fishing friend of mine from Sonora introduced the "Bones" salmon meal to us. There is always some flesh left over on the top and sides of the salmon whether you properly or improperly filet a salmon. After cleaning and filleting, I used to throw the rest of the fish away, not realizing I was throwing away some of the best succulent meat I ever tasted. Thanks to my friend, we enjoy this tasty dish which is very simple to prepare. After you filet your salmon, remove the head and tail, of course. Put your favorite seasoning on the "Bones", I use crushed fresh garlic, onion, salt and pepper and olive oil, add fresh or dried parsley and cook on the barbeque in tightly wrapped foil for 7 to 10 minutes on a pre-heated grill. Believe me, its the best meal and you would be surprised how easy it is to remove this fine tasting meat from the "Bones".

BeefCakeScout
06-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Been doing it for years.I like to throw them on a blazing hot open grill for a minute on each side. Then brush with teriyaki/lemon butter/pesto/dill pesto wit capers. That meat that is on the bones is amazing.
:beer: to you for bringing it to light.

drinkinbuddy
06-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Thank you both for this thread and backing it up. I will give that a try next time I catch one.

WhopperStopper
06-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Yup I agree. The meat on the bones ia absolutely delicious. I also love the fatty belly meat and the collar which is the section where the pectoral fins are located. Smoking the belly meat and collar is also a delightful and scrumptious piece of meat.

Clearwaterkid
06-26-2013, 02:22 PM
I've always thought the only use for bones other than cat food was fish stew, or a chowder.:stirthepot: Just my opinion. That and if you can't catch a salmon, at some stores they fillet the salmon themselves and you can buy the bones fairly cheep. That's if, god forbid, you don't catch a fish of course.