PDA

View Full Version : Smoking on a propane BBQ

sportygirl
06-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Has anyone succesfully done this???? With Salmon season coming up I have my brine ready and a smoker box...will this work??? any suggestions???:readinghelp0wn:

WHT.RUS
06-21-2013, 08:43 PM
It should if you turn only one burner, a wood box and a water pan. Never tried it though! Prefer my horizontal smoker :3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

49erbassman
06-21-2013, 09:16 PM
It's all about temps since you have the box. If you can keep temps at 200 maybe lower unless you offset the food and turn one side of the burners off. The box should help with keeping direct heat off the fish though depending on type.

Never know until you try. ;)

Fish on!

Steve079
06-22-2013, 06:36 AM
You can do it, but you won't be able to do a lot of fish at one time, and you will need to try something different. I have a vertical cabinet propane smoker. The propane won't let me keep the temp down low enough, so I just use charcoal briquets instead. It works great, I did 2 racks of salmon last night using just what I'll tell you.

You will only use about a dozen briquets, and an aluminum mini loaf pan. Put the briquets i the loaf pan,not quite full. you will need a little room at the top. Ignite them, and set them off to the side. Once they are ready, put your smoke wood in, with a couple more briquets. I use the big chunks of apple, I don't soak them, but control the "burn" by limiting the air flow into the BBQ.

If you have a temp gauge on the bbq, it should be around 165. After the first smoke load burns out, check the fish, add a few more briquets and another chunk of smoke wood. Check for done-ness ( is that even a word?) the thicker mid sections may need a bit more time, but thats up to you.

i don't cook mine to the point of being jerky. Mine is done when it is still moist and succulent. the wood smoke is a prefect com;iment to my favorite fish.

You can toss the pan when your done smoking, and you propane grill is back to being able to being a cooker.

BigUnInDaBoat
06-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Propane smokers/bbq's are too hot of a smoke to smoke salmon or kokanee well. Little Chiefs are awesome. I have both. Fish goes in the LC and everything else in the big propane smoker.

I tried two batches in the big smoker. Both came out like rubber, and even with the lowest setting and all the vents open it was too hot.

Jetspray
06-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Biggest thing no matter what you use it temp contol. I use a portable temp probe that has a dual sensor (one for the meat, one for the cabinet). You can set temp ranges for both with alarms. They are not all that expensive. I have a New Braumfels side smoker, a 48 inch Cabela's stainless smoker (Weston's Manufacture) and a 5 burner propane Maker's Mark Sam's Club BBQ. I have smoked fish in a portable propane BBQ at Eagle Lake using aluminum foil, wet chips inside, with poked holes in the foil. Just give anything a try, you can buy smoker chip boxes at Homeless Depot that go from cast iron to stainless steel. They all work good:costumed-smiley-031:music-smiley-026:.......Jetspray

BeefCakeScout
06-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Smoking on propane works just fine. I have helped several of my buddies do it and it always turned out great. As previously stated, temperature control is key. You can't do a lot of meat at once since you have to keep the heat indirect. Turn on one burner.....keep it as low as you can, then adjust till you can maintain the heat you want.While you are working on that, rack your fish up to get tacky and make foil packs. Soaked wood chips(I like alder) in foil pouches with some holes poked in the top to release the smoke. When your temp control is good, put your fish on the grill(away from the burner) and put a foil pack directly on the burner,trying to keep the flame from touching the thin parts of the foil. Once they quick smoking, swap out for another one. Keep doing that til the fish is done.

Steve079
06-29-2013, 06:53 AM
I have to admit, it always drives me a little crazy, when the person who asks for help, never comes back to the thread they created. glad we could help ya out, lol.

DRF
06-29-2013, 07:24 AM
I'm listening to ya Steve 0, Lol

One thing that needs to be mentioned it that sawdust is probably a better choice for propane rather than chunks.

I sure wish I had a bead on some Alder sawdust.. I hear there is some in Grassvalley ;)

One could make a smoker like this and never have to worry about propane again.

To be honest I wish I had a little electric smoker for days like today. It's gonna be hot and I gots 10 filets that need to be hit with some smoke.

Sent from my Droid

sportygirl
06-29-2013, 08:34 AM
I have to admit, it always drives me a little crazy, when the person who asks for help, never comes back to the thread they created. glad we could help ya out, lol.

That's a good one. Obviously, you havent seen that I recently "liked" BCS's post, just before yours. Unlike many, I dont have all day to spend on here replying to every post on every thread. I have a life, a job, and two teenagers that keep me busy. I have read every post as well as done my own research on youtube and several recipe sites regarding this question. Not to mention, I have a "resource" that lets me know when something new is added, such as your undesirable comment. But if it makes your day to be recognized, here you go, THANK YOU Steve079 for contributing to my discussion. LOL!!:stomper:

And thanks to the rest of you for the advise. As soon as we put some Chrome in the boat I can post up the results.

Steve079
06-29-2013, 08:45 AM
The point of my post, was that you use Charcoal to smoke the meat, and provide the heat needed for fish. I do this once a week during salmon season. here's a few pics from yesterday and last week. l was going to do a post on this pork shoulder I did, but for now, this picture will illustrate what I was talking about.

As you can see, you can go big with the wood too. That was for 4 racks of ribs. No propane is used, just real wood.
I smoked the pork for about 2-3 hours, 2 hunks of wood. Put the shoulder in the crock pot, added about a cup of liquid. Put it in the crock pot and went to bed. Woke up at 5am to the smell of smoked pork wafting through the house. Mmmmm.
I'm going to make up a batch of our bourbon BBQ sauce, and tonight we'll have some monster pulled pork sandwiches, with sliced sweet pickle, drenched in the sauce.
.Dennis, we ever fish for Cohos, I'll bring some of these....

DRF
06-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Sounds good to me Steve, that looks great.

CRABBY
06-29-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm listening to ya Steve 0, Lol

One thing that needs to be mentioned it that sawdust is probably a better choice for propane rather than chunks.

I sure wish I had a bead on some Alder sawdust.. I hear there is some in Grassvalley ;)

One could make a smoker like this and never have to worry about propane again.

To be honest I wish I had a little electric smoker for days like today. It's gonna be hot and I gots 10 filets that need to be hit with some smoke.

Sent from my Droid Will ck.on the sawdust for ya Dennis an let ya know about price etc....Don

Steve079
06-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Do they sell alder pellets for the trager style? those would work? Just run them through your blender, wife won't mind, I promise.

DRF
06-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Do they sell alder pellets for the trager style? those would work? Just run them through your blender, wife won't mind, I promise.

I think one could soak them and get the same results? Sawdust is just easier and its a different "kind" of smoke, not like what you get from a chunk of wood, much more dense.
I'll build my fire out of chunks of wood then put wet sawdust on the coals. Less flame up too.

Sent from my Driod

sportygirl
07-01-2013, 08:28 PM
So I broke down and got RNP a digital electric smoker for his bday...should be here next week!!! Now ..... time to get some woodchips and meat to start experimenting!!! I got the masterbuilt 30" Elite.... Its so PURDY!!!!:yahoo:

DRF
07-01-2013, 09:01 PM
This should work on any propane bbq/smoker.

http://smokedaddyinc.com/

Sent from my Droid