PDA

View Full Version : Trout in SF Bay

agodwin
04-20-2006, 01:38 PM
The fishing report just came in the paper today, and it says this:

San Francisco Bay: The Oyster Point Pier reopened at 11:30 a.m. Friday, and anglers hooked sturgeon all weekend--some oversized, some under, and a few in the keeper range. One angler fishing for bait hooked a trout.

WTH?

winch
04-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Possibly a steelhead?

agodwin
04-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Possibly, but wouldn't it have said steelhead?

PaCiFiCa_Rd
04-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Not a sea trout?
:-? That sounds weird

Hogsbro
04-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Maybe that reporter is clueless!

CJC
04-20-2006, 02:58 PM
May be it's one of the Amador Cutbows that got washed out with the rain!! ;D

agodwin
04-20-2006, 03:03 PM
May be it's one of the Amador Cutbows that got washed out with the rain!! ;D

Did you read that in the Mercury compadrejt?

CJC
04-20-2006, 03:06 PM
No I have not.

agodwin
04-20-2006, 03:11 PM
To all you disbelievers out there, here is the link to my source of information that promted the start of this thread:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/outdoors/14385741.htm

CJC
04-20-2006, 03:19 PM
FG23,

A trout caught in any anadromous waters is by definition a steelhead.

agodwin
04-20-2006, 04:18 PM
What if it is a new species of trout though... What if it isn't the same species as steelhead, but a new species of evolved or unknown to man trout? Maybe this is something to investigate...

just_kidding
04-20-2006, 04:42 PM
I've caught steelhead using sabiki rigs when I was trying to catch choves.
I was right inside of Point Bonita when it happend the first time. Second time was at Muir. I doubt if its that rare. And they look just like a trout. But they are in saltwater so they are steelhead. I would doubt if there is a new species evolving but you never know.

put_em_back
04-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Caught a Steelie flipping a 4 inch black ringworm with a chart tail in the Delta.....now that was a surprise.

Like Compadrejt said, sea run trout are Steelhead - look like rainbows, not like sea run Cutts.

They use to plant salmon/steelhead up near the Rodeo. What a sight. The fish truck backs up to the tube and starts emptying its contents into the tube......the stripers have learned what all that noise on shore meant....drugged salmon/steelhead for dinner. We were on a partyboat throwing chovies to the stripers and the captain said that it happens like clockwork.

They did this for a few years, caught hell from the press and then started to release them in various spots from boats. I haven't heard what they are doing now.

agodwin
04-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Then what is a sea run cutt?

put_em_back
04-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Some rivers have sea run cutthroat troup that migrate from the ocean up the rivers and visa versa. From what I understand, they don't venture too far out into the ocean.

I think the Eel River in Northern Ca have them as well as rivers into Washington and Alaska.

agodwin
04-21-2006, 02:46 AM
well... how long would it take for a new species to be found? I mean, Marine biologists are making new discoveries all the time.

Silver_Hilton
04-21-2006, 02:54 PM
well... how long would it take for a new species to be found? I mean, Marine biologists are making new discoveries all the time.

True....but the new species tend to be more primative lifeforms in remote locations (i.e. weird anemones near geothermal vents, strange fish from 20,000 feet down, etc...). Finding a new species of "trout" in S.F. Bay would be the equivalent of finding a new species of bear in Oakland.

Must have been a steelhead, although I suppose it could have been a sea-run cutt...never heard of them in S.F. Bay. Many of the esturaries north of the Bay Area have them.

Uncle_Sam
04-21-2006, 11:03 PM
;DThere is an open season for sea run cutthroat trout in Stone Lagoon in Humboldt County. I think there is also an open season for them in Lake Talawa and Freshwater Lagoon.

Several years ago I caught a small (20 inch) fish with white meat while fishing for salmon in Half Moon Bay. Could it have been a trout? Nobody else told me that it was. I have always wondered.

HookedForLife
04-21-2006, 11:31 PM
The reporter did not say how big the "trout" was. If it was larger than 16", most people would call it a steelhead. Anything smaller would usually be called a trout. The trout caught at Oyster Point was most likely a hatchery juvenile steelhead recently released into the Sacramento River that swam downstream to SF Bay. It always helps to see the fish for its size and check for hatchery fin wear.

Coastal cutthroat are found from the Eel River north to Alaska. Lake Earl near Crescent City is a good place to fish for them, but the cutthroat fishing at Stone Lagoon has gone downhill since Mad River Hatchery stopped planting them there, where they would grow rapidly to over 16" long. It had to do with perceived predation of hatchery cutthroat on listed tidewater goby. Hopefully, this stocking program can be started up again someday.

CenCoast_Angler
04-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Dude,
The Merc frequently presents wrong info in their fishing report. I remember a couple years ago when they reported that Chesbro was being planted with stripers. No friggin way.
I wish they planted stripers there...

The "trout" was most likely a lost hatchery fish. And most likely under 16 inches, which would classify it as a trout if found within anadramous waters. Hopefully it was released.

PK