PDA

View Full Version : You never know what will hit a worm...

dsa2780
06-25-2013, 05:37 PM
This is pretty much a repost of my striper report, but you guys may be interested, probably not though lol. It's pretty fun to simply forget all of the lures and waiting for your bait rod to be hit when you can just snap on 3 splitshots above a cralwer and have at it. Walk along the bank and cast upstream, drifting along the bottom until you feel a hit. It's really simple but you never know what is going to be on the end of your line. I've been reeling in stripers, smallies, spots, largemouth, white crappie, squaws and a few fastwater bluegills.

The past few excursions along the main sac near my house have been more or less total flops in terms of keeper striper fishing. I kind of gave up on bait fishing for a long while in favor of a simple drift rig. My idea with this stream troutesque setup is that I can catch and have fun with any sort of species living along the banks and cover a lot of water. It's not for size or quality of fish, but it's fun to walk along a stretch casting into the main current and letting my rig drift along the bottom. Bait of choice is none other than half of a nightcrawler. I'll hook up with loads of spots, largemouths and smallies before I run into a school of stripers. The stripers love to chase the worms and on light trout gear spooled in 6lb line, a 14 inch shaker puts up quite the fight. This technique of drifting a cralwer also kind of serves as my scouting technique for bait fishing with sardines. I carry a bait rod with a 1/2 oz drift weight to a standard sliding leader for when I find a school. It's a lot more efficient at getting fish than it is just sitting and waiting for a bite. If I catch more than a few little stripes with my drift rig, I bait up and cast slightly off the bank into about 5 feet of water. Today, I hooked up with a decent 18 inch fish. Don't mind the squaw on the stringer, he was about 10-12 inches I'd say.

So long story short, I got bored of just plunking my sardines and found a technique that works great for me this time of year. I've landed about 20 plus shakers alone not counting the assorted bass, squaws and gills I pick up. Anyone else ever do this?

salmonid
06-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Looks like a good time! I have become to focused on salmon and steel I think at times. Getting back to the simpler times with just a rod and a chunk of crawler sounds like a plan.

Best, and thanks for the post!

LURKER916
06-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Nice report about good ole fashioned fishing!
Good stuff.

catchayou
06-26-2013, 05:25 AM
You might try putting one of those blue gills on and drifting that

Nor*Cal
06-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Nightcrawlers are a Universal bait, they all like the worms! It's crazy how much they like the worms! I use night crawlers out at Lisbon under a bobber and catch more fish than I do with any other bait. good report, brother!

WhopperStopper
06-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Man that sounds like a lot of fun. I was also surprised how many stripers I caught while using crawlers trying to catch bait. My uncle caught quite a few keeper stripers this year using a big fat threaded crawler on a circle hook. He said he would just cast it out, put a bell on the tip of the pole, close his eyes for some rest and when the bell rang he was like " all you gotta do is reel in your fis h". He is somewhat of a novice and struggles sometimes on the timing of setting the hook. He really loves using circle hook with crawlers and raved about how well they worked compared to pile worms at the fraction of the price.

drinkinbuddy
06-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Great post, I'm a guy who appreciates simple things. All too often we get caught up going after that one big fish and forget how much fun just simple fishing can be. Great post again and thanks for reminding me.

Drinkinbuddy

dsa2780
06-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I mean of course I'd love to spend some money on some Lucky Craft and DWB plugs, but for $3, I still can get a thrill out of some fish. Not all quality fish, but still, I think the 3lb smallies can speak for themselves.