PDA

View Full Version : 06-27-2013 SF Bay

WHT.RUS
06-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Lines in at around 8 am. Has problems with the navigation due to the fog which caused a late start. Managed to land a 4 foot plus 7 gill, 1 leopard, maybe 30 sand sharks, and over two dozen sea rays. Here's the only fish worthy of a pic which was kept! Left at 2 as all we were hearing then were crickets.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn48/mrvarrickwb/null_zpscc6adf77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

49erbassman
06-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Sounds like fun brother. Beats the hell out if the 12 hour day I had at work!

Fish on!

fishnmike
06-28-2013, 07:54 AM
That many sand sharks and bat rays I'm guessing you were using squid?? Stop at the bait shop and pickup some midshipmen or hit the asian market and get some salmon belly. You'll get more big sharks and less rays.

WHT.RUS
06-28-2013, 08:03 AM
That many sand sharks and bat rays I'm guessing you were using squid?? Stop at the bait shop and pickup some midshipmen or hit the asian market and get some salmon belly. You'll get more big sharks and less rays.

+1

We were discussing that while unhooking those rays. Actually ended up doing a biopsy on the leopard and using the midshipmen from its belly that landed an undersize leopard. We tried salmon with no luck but it wasn't the belly.

WHT.RUS
06-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Sounds like fun brother. Beats the hell out if the 12 hour day I had at work!

Fish on!

Def better than work! Wish we would have hooked into bigger sharks though.

fishnmike
06-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Salmon belly is where its at. We've been out twice in the last 4 weeks and are going again tomrrow. First trip we had over 25 sharks to the boat including one 6.5 ft soupfin. Last week it was a little slower but still put 15 leopards and one 7-gill in the boat. Another bait that works well is american shad, just cut big chunks. Also make sure you are using enough weight with these big tides. Sometimes we are up to 22 oz when fishing the deep water.

WHT.RUS
06-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Salmon belly is where its at. We've been out twice in the last 4 weeks and are going again tomrrow. First trip we had over 25 sharks to the boat including one 6.5 ft soupfin. Last week it was a little slower but still put 15 leopards and one 7-gill in the boat. Another bait that works well is american shad, just cut big chunks. Also make sure you are using enough weight with these big tides. Sometimes we are up to 22 oz when fishing the deep water.

We chummed the shad, but had no luck with it for sharks as rays were hitting them like crazy. Any spots you'd suggest? Fished at 35-40ft

fishnmike
06-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Anything from Treasure Island south. Hunters Point, Oyster Point, Coyote Point. Fish the channel edges. I'll fish as deep as 80 feet if the tide will let me.

The rays were hitting your American Shad? Or were you fishing threadfin shad? We've been using American Shad the last couple trips and have only caught leopards and soupfin on it.

WHT.RUS
06-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Anything from Treasure Island south. Hunters Point, Oyster Point, Coyote Point. Fish the channel edges. I'll fish as deep as 80 feet if the tide will let me.

The rays were hitting your American Shad? Or were you fishing threadfin shad? We've been using American Shad the last couple trips and have only caught leopards and soupfin on it.

Yeah we used the American Shad we caught on the feather this year. I will google those points you mentioned as I never heard of them. Thanks!

fishnmike
06-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Interesting you had so many bat rays on the shad. I used the ones we caught this year for the first time and only caught sharks on them. Salmon belly is still better though.

Anything south of the bay bridge is full of sharks right now. Graph around and your fish finder will look like an aquarium. Last week we fished right south of Treasure Island and did well. Graph around, find some fish, setup and wait half an hour or so, if no bites pick up and move.

WHT.RUS
06-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Interesting you had so many bat rays on the shad. I used the ones we caught this year for the first time and only caught sharks on them. Salmon belly is still better though.

Anything south of the bay bridge is full of sharks right now. Graph around and your fish finder will look like an aquarium. Last week we fished right south of Treasure Island and did well. Graph around, find some fish, setup and wait half an hour or so, if no bites pick up and move.

Do you launch from Oyster point marina? We were marking alot of fish from top to about 15-20 feet. Assuming those are salmon entering to the river system? Didn't really pay attention to the bottom or fish finder at all.

fishnmike
06-28-2013, 12:16 PM
I launch at Berkeley and then decide where to fish based on the tides and wind.

What you're looking for on your graph are the fish along the bottom. When you see fish from top to bottom or half way down to the bottom you have the spot. If the fish are up off the bottom very much keep looking.

WHT.RUS
06-28-2013, 01:41 PM
I launch at Berkeley and then decide where to fish based on the tides and wind.

What you're looking for on your graph are the fish along the bottom. When you see fish from top to bottom or half way down to the bottom you have the spot. If the fish are up off the bottom very much keep looking.

Thanks for the info. Guess we'll learn all the tides and wind as we go out more often. How do you decide where to fish? (Wind/Tide?

fishnmike
06-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Its its blowing its usually out of the west or northwest so I will run over along the San Francisco side and get out of the wind. Just be aware you are sheltered over there and it can get bad out on the bay itself, specially in the shallow water going back to Berkeley.

For tides, I try to fish as deep as I can, that is limited by current. Incoming tides are generally slower than out going tides so even if the tide is "big" but its incoming you can usually fish deeper than if its a big outgoing. I catch fish through all the tides but that two hour window around the tide change is where i usually catch my biggest sharks. If its a big ripper outgo then I am probably going to fish up a little shallower. For example tomorrow the tides are big with an outgo until almost noon. I'll probably be setting up south of TI if the wind will let me. I'd like to sit in the bottom of the channel but even with 22 oz weights they would be floating for a big part of the tide.

WHT.RUS
06-28-2013, 01:54 PM
And that's at 80 feet deep or so? Thanks for all the information! Hard to find a person who would actually answer all the questions. So deeper the better, but need to keep an eye on the graph and see if there's fish closer to the bottom. You wouldn't fish the 35 foot or shallower waters would you?

fishnmike
06-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Not a problem. The shark fishing in the bay is a totally under utilized fishery. Not saying it can be abused but its a heck of a great little fishery that fits a nice summer nich. Also a great place to take kids.

Yeah anywhere from 60 to 80, find the holes or edges. However this weekend you probably can't fish that deep due to the big tides. But deep is also relative. If you are fishing way down south around the Dumbarton Bridge the deep water there is about 40 feet.

When I'm out there I'm looking for big soupfins and big 7-gills, they are usually found in deep water, specialy the 7-gill. The leopards are just a bonus while trying to catch the big guys. I do catch my biggest leopards in deep water. You can catch leopards in 6 feet of water but probably aren't going to find the big sharks up there on most occasions.
http://imageshack.us/a/img69/3269/img4343hd.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img838/6725/7lyz.jpg

WHT.RUS
06-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Okay thank you again for the information! Guess well try to deep holes and then work shallower to 40 feet. Will give another try on the Shad. Good luck out there and don't forget to let us know how you do!

shotgun1
08-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Ok im gonna hi jack this thread just cause theres a ton of info here
First time in bay with 19' aluminum boat
First time trying for shark
Im thinkin about goin out of san leandro boat launch
Thinkin about goin sunday
Will i be safe
How do i check the weather and wind
Wat wind speed is too much for enjoyable day when do i come back in
Where should i get bait close to san leandro
What r the best places to fish if im leavin out of s.l. ?
Any info would be great
Wish i could follow someone around but dont know anyone with boats that want to hang out??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishnmike
08-06-2013, 09:46 AM
I'll take a crack at it.

Will you be safe?? No, the bay is an inheriantly dangerous place. However you can take precautions to be as safe as possible. For weather I check all three sites (Weather Underground, NOAA and the Weather Channel) I lean towards weather Underground. I look at both Berkeley and San Francisco. What I am looking for is winds below 15 mph and either stable weather in the Central Valley or a warming trend in the Central Valley. If it is cooling it will be windy on the bay.

I prefer to launch out of Berkeley rather than San Leandro. It has a better ramp, better wash out and fish cleaning facilities, and it closer to a variety of places to fish. In the summer you are often going to be fishing over toward the San Francisco shoreline to get out of the wind and that is a long hard pound into wind waves from San Leandro. Right now there are a lot of fish south of Treasure Island all the way down the general anchorage in the middle of the bay and some sharks along the San Fran shoreline from AT&T park south. Spend some time looking at your fish finder and you will know when you find the fish.

There is a bait shop there at the Berkeley Marina. If they have midshipmen get them. Otherwise you are stuck with squid, sardines, etc. However you will get pestered by the rays and sand sharks. If you have an asian grocery store near you see if they have salmon belley for sale, it works great!

Go give it a try, it will take you a few trips to focus in on the tecniques and locations but its a lot of fun.

rk2fish
08-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Very informative fishnmike, you must have your anchoring skills honed though. I don't get up there very much, but the last couple times I tried to anchor, it was so windy that I couldn't set the anchor. I guess what you are talking about staying on the SF side makes sense. Is there a certain anchor that you use?Thanks.

shotgun1
08-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Yes thank you guys
This thread is packed with info
It should be stuck
Thanks again
I'm goin out of berkley now
Thanks again
Hopefully I can get the bait

fishnmike
08-07-2013, 07:13 AM
Rx2fish, Its usually not too hard to anchor in the south bay, generally pretty muddy bottom. If you're sliding you probably aren't letting out enough rope or don't have enough chain on your anchor.

I use a Columbia River rocking chair anchor, which is a very grabby anchor, but even then I let out 3 to 4 times the amount of rope as it is deep. That anchor is over kill in the bay but its what I have to allow me to anchor for sturgeon in the west delta on the hard bottom.