PDA

View Full Version : Basic Saltwater Rod & Reel Recommendation?

namjagerungbengi
06-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Hey guys,

Looking for an affordable yet decent setup for basic ocean fishing, think rockfish primarily, maybe salmon and stripers.

Was looking at the Abu Garcia C3 in either 5501 or 6501 size. What size would be best? Any other casting reels I should look at? Don't want to spend more than $100 here.

No idea on type of rods. I don't have any freshwater casting rods that would work for salt.

Thanks

nelson9
06-29-2013, 08:33 PM
If this is your only setup, I think the Abu's are too small.You don't want to be caught out at the islands in 180ft. of water and a fast drift with the Abu. No fun. For rock fish, ideally you should have a lighter outfit for shallow water - slow drifts and a heavier setup for deeper water and faster drifts. For under $100 I would look at a Penn 320GT levelwind. A good all around reel you can use for any depth. Shakespeare Ugly Stiks are decent rods for the price. About $60- $70. Something like 15-30lb or 15-40lb rating should work. The 320GT is not really a casting reel. It's more of a drop straight down bottom fishing or livebait drifting type of reel.

JB14
06-30-2013, 09:17 AM
It depends on where you want to fish.

I'll use my AG 6501 for coastal rockfish, downrigger salmon and leopards all day long. Works great.

As mentioned, if I'm trolling 2.5lb balls, fishing for big 7 gills or headed to the farallons for rockfish then I go big and use my Tekota 600's. a Penn 320 would be a decent starter reel for deeper water.

namjagerungbengi
06-30-2013, 07:50 PM

I'll use my AG 6501 for coastal rockfish, downrigger salmon and leopards all day long. Works great.

As mentioned, if I'm trolling 2.5lb balls, fishing for big 7 gills or headed to the farallons for rockfish then I go big and use my Tekota 600's. a Penn 320 would be a decent starter reel for deeper water.

I prefer to fish with a little lighter gear and I won't be using this setup for trolling (I wish, but I don't have a boat). I figure I'd use it for jigging and casting some heavier lures for rockfish. I won't be fishing for sharks either.

I'm guessing I'd be fishing 30-100 feet at most from a rental boat.

Edit - just realized by AG you meant Abu Garcia... so it sounds like the 6501 would be good for my needs? What line do you spool it with? What rod do you match it against?

Racinrob
06-30-2013, 08:42 PM
Abu 6500 is good enough for big lings and other assorted Rockfish. Even Salmon. I run 30-40 braid and use 30lb flouro leaders. The older 320's are a little better than the newer ones, but even the new ones for the price are ok. I've used the US tigers a lot and they are good inexpensive rods. I use the 7' medium light, or the 7' medium. Any bigger is just overkill in my opinion. I do love my Revo Toro 50 and Trevala now though.

slick88
06-30-2013, 09:12 PM

Shimano Tekota 600 is a good choice.

I have one of those, but I also like the Daiwa Saltist Levelwind 30.

http://www.daiwa.com/Reel/saltwater.aspx

You can salmon troll 2.5 lb balls yet it's also a good rockfish reel.

Both also come with line counters if you like that feature. It comes in handy for rockfishing.

nelson9
06-30-2013, 09:30 PM
I prefer to fish with a little lighter gear and I won't be using this setup for trolling (I wish, but I don't have a boat). I figure I'd use it for jigging and casting some heavier lures for rockfish. I won't be fishing for sharks either.

I'm guessing I'd be fishing 30-100 feet at most from a rental boat.

Edit - just realized by AG you meant Abu Garcia... so it sounds like the 6501 would be good for my needs? What line do you spool it with? What rod do you match it against?

If you are going to fish in 100ft. or less the Abu will work fine. Any medium heavy
7ft. bass rod will work. The new Abu inshore Volatile rods look good. About $100. Load it with 20 or 30lb braid and a short mono topshot. I fish jigs and bars up to 4oz. with my Abu.

namjagerungbengi
07-01-2013, 10:30 AM
I see a lot of conventional reels being recommended. I'd also like to cast lures, but it seems these reels are more for trolling & jigging?

WhopperStopper
07-01-2013, 04:29 PM
I would highly recommend abu garcia 6501 c3 or c4 loaded with 50# braid Paired with an ugly stik tiger lite. I think this combo would suit your needs perfectly. It is relatively inexpensive and can last for a long long time if u care for it properly.

BigUnInDaBoat
07-01-2013, 05:21 PM
I see a lot of conventional reels being recommended. I'd also like to cast lures, but it seems these reels are more for trolling & jigging?

You're just going to piss people off trying to use a spinner on a partyboat. Get a penn 209 or a 320GT paired with a Uglystick tiger buy the lightest one you can get away with. The rods are $56 at FW.

namjagerungbengi
07-01-2013, 06:34 PM
You're just going to piss people off trying to use a spinner on a partyboat. Get a penn 209 or a 320GT paired with a Uglystick tiger buy the lightest one you can get away with. The rods are $56 at FW.

I must've misstated somewhere? :lipsrsealed: I have no intention of using spinning gear for saltwater

I was saying, it seems reels like the Penn 320 are not geared toward casting lures? But for jigging/trolling. I was thinking of the AG 6501 as it seemed I could use it for jigging and casting lures.

BigUnInDaBoat
07-04-2013, 11:38 AM
I must've misstated somewhere? :lipsrsealed: I have no intention of using spinning gear for saltwater

I was saying, it seems reels like the Penn 320 are not geared toward casting lures? But for jigging/trolling. I was thinking of the AG 6501 as it seemed I could use it for jigging and casting lures.

Saw all the talk about "casting" reels, I believe you meant Conventional reels, I have a 6501, and it is a great reel and yes you can cast with it, some guys may feel it's a bit on the lighter side for offshore stuff. I used mine alot casting for stirpers and halibut off the shore in the bay, salmon in the rivers, and off the skiffs in santa cruz. I've caught 30lb salmon with it, 20 lb halibut tons of lings and rockfish. It's a good reel but IMO is too light for Farallon Rockfish and salmon trolling. Which is what the majority of the boats are doing now.

namjagerungbengi
07-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Saw all the talk about "casting" reels, I believe you meant Conventional reels, I have a 6501, and it is a great reel and yes you can cast with it, some guys may feel it's a bit on the lighter side for offshore stuff. I used mine alot casting for stirpers and halibut off the shore in the bay, salmon in the rivers, and off the skiffs in santa cruz. I've caught 30lb salmon with it, 20 lb halibut tons of lings and rockfish. It's a good reel but IMO is too light for Farallon Rockfish and salmon trolling. Which is what the majority of the boats are doing now.

Ah, I gotcha. I won't be going to Farallon islands or be salmon trolling unfortunately, I don't have a boat or have any friends who own boats or fish for that matter... If I did, I'd go for a power reel like a Penn.

I'll be using this setup from rental boats and such (no party boat) to do some shallow water rock fishing near kelp beds (I have no fish finder to find structure).

I ended up ordering the AG 6501. We'll see how it goes!

BigUnInDaBoat
07-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Obviously my reading comprehension is way off these last couple days, I blame the heat. You'll love the reel, you may want to upgrade the easily replaceable parts. Search Alan Tani.

namjagerungbengi
07-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Obviously my reading comprehension is way off these last couple days, I blame the heat. You'll love the reel, you may want to upgrade the easily replaceable parts. Search Alan Tani.

Thanks for the tip. I always hear about upgrades but I don't see them on major sites.

How do you get out to the Farallon islands? Party boat or do you have your own boat?

white_cap
07-05-2013, 06:38 AM
Don't want to spend more than $100 here.

Thanks

I have 2 Shimano TR 200-G reels that work very well, about $70.00. I use them for trolling for Salmon, rock cod, ling cod, trolling for Halibut, Sturgeon. A lot of bang for the buck. It also has a smooth cast. I highly recommend it for a basic reel!

BigUnInDaBoat
07-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the tip. I always hear about upgrades but I don't see them on major sites.

How do you get out to the Farallon islands? Party boat or do you have your own boat?
New huck finn.

WhopperStopper
07-12-2013, 05:39 PM

Alan Tani has great tutorials on how to upgrade/modify/beef up a variety of different reels. He is the master with step by step instructions with pictures.

An easy upgrade for the AG ambassaduers is to change the stock drag washers to carbon fiber washers and to switch the handle to a power handle. I have done both to my AG ambassaduer 6501 C4 and love the upgrades.

namjagerungbengi
07-12-2013, 08:16 PM
Alan Tani has great tutorials on how to upgrade/modify/beef up a variety of different reels. He is the master with step by step instructions with pictures.

An easy upgrade for the AG ambassaduers is to change the stock drag washers to carbon fiber washers and to switch the handle to a power handle. I have done both to my AG ambassaduer 6501 C4 and love the upgrades.

Where did you order the drag and power handle?

JB14
07-16-2013, 07:57 PM
I put power handles on all my 6500's. best thing I've done.

I got the handles off eBay. About $15/each

namjagerungbengi
08-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Well turns out I'm going on a charter this Saturday that uses 2.5lb balls. Think my C3 6501 can handle it? Or should I spend $15 and rent gear?

Would prefer to use my new gear, but if it can't handle it, I'll rent.

Thanks

SF21
08-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Where the heck can you rent boats on the salt?

bassman408
08-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Where the heck can you rent boats on the salt?

At Capitola and Santa Cruz. But why ask a question in that tone? Especially when your question is completely irrelevant to his question.

In my personal opinion, I'm not sure I would use my C3 reel to drag a 2.5lb ball. I haven't tried personally so maybe some other members can chime in so you can make a better decision. Good luck.

JB14
08-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Rent. You'll kill the C3 with that much lead.

Well turns out I'm going on a charter this Saturday that uses 2.5lb balls. Think my C3 6501 can handle it? Or should I spend $15 and rent gear?

Would prefer to use my new gear, but if it can't handle it, I'll rent.

Thanks

namjagerungbengi
08-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Alright... you guys give me only one option, buy another reel.

With the limited time I have before going on the charter, what do you think of these? What size would you recommend? I figure the line counter and left hand retrieve would be perfect for me. It's a cheap reel, but I am not looking for fancy, and I want to pair it with an equally cheap fiberglass rod I already have...

https://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/linecounters/magda-pro

Need advice ASAP!! I think Fisherman's Warehouse carries this. If so, I'll go there tomorrow buy the reel (only $47) and spool it up.

SF21
08-07-2013, 07:04 PM
At Capitola and Santa Cruz. But why ask a question in that tone? Especially when your question is completely irrelevant to his question.

In my personal opinion, I'm not sure I would use my C3 reel to drag a 2.5lb ball. I haven't tried personally so maybe some other members can chime in so you can make a better decision. Good luck.

What tone was that? I didn't know you could hear my to my through text.

OP: that okuma would probably work for your charter trip, but I don't think you will like it as a all around reel especially for any type of casting. If you don't do that type of fishing often get something you will like when your on the jetties or where ever else you fish primarily if its shore based.

namjagerungbengi
08-07-2013, 07:16 PM
OP: that okuma would probably work for your charter trip, but I don't think you will like it as a all around reel especially for any type of casting. If you don't do that type of fishing often get something you will like when your on the jetties or where ever else you fish primarily if its shore based.

Well I already have the C3 6501, which would make a good all around reel?

Would the Okuma work for trolling and jigging?

bassman408
08-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Well I already have the C3 6501, which would make a good all around reel?

Would the Okuma work for trolling and jigging?

The okuma would work for trolling and jigging. But SF21 is right, it wouldn't really work well for other applications.

namjagerungbengi
08-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks guys

I'll get the Okuma tomorrow and give it a shot on the rod I already have