PDA

View Full Version : Tuna Tackle Question

SteelHunter
04-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Hello Sniffers,

I'm wanting to get into saltwater fishing and a friend suggested trying tuna fishing with some of the charter boats out of the SF Bay. But I am a total rookie and don't know where to start.

So I was hoping that some of you could help me with suggestions regarding a good tuna set-up (rod, reel, and line). I would mostly use it here but was also thinking I could fish the tuna set-up in the So. Cal waters too for tuna, etc. I hear there is some good fishing out of San Diego.

Thanks in advance.

Jan_from_Humboldt
04-07-2006, 02:56 PM
How much do you want to spend?

When you say "Tuna" I'll assume you mean Albacore, my favorite bait rig for Albacore is a Newell 229 (Spooled with quality 25# and a Calstar 270H deckhand style rod (Corktape handle). This rig will set you back around $300.00+-

For trolling a Penn 4/0 with 50# and a Sabre 870H works for me. (Around $250.00)

It sort of depends on how you are going to fish for them as in live bait fishing or trolling.

phisherman
04-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Hey SteelHunter

Man, there are about a million different set ups for Tuna! If you are talking SF tuna you are talking albacore (20-40 pounds), San Diego Tuna is albacore, big eye, yellowfin, and bluefin (20-300+ pounds). My suggestion is buy some quality gear now that will last you many years (if not a lifetime). The tackle I suggest is personal preference and on the pricier end of the spectrum.

For rods I like Calstar at *http://www.calstarrods.com/ *Look at the Grafighter series. For SF tuna I recommend the GFGR-700L with a Torium 16 for larger tuna the GFGR-700M and GFGR-700XH. Match this with a Shimano Torium 20 or 30 2speed ($$) or a Trinidad ($$$$) 20, or 30.

Check out the sites for SD long range boats as well http://www.fishermanslanding.com/ *and *http://www.pointlomasportfishing.com/ most of them have suggested tackle listed.

Tuna fishing is awesome, some of the most exciting (and expensive) fishing you will ever do. Have fun and donít forget to post some pics of your trips!

SteelHunter
04-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Jan and Phisherman...those are some great posts. *It gives me a great start in what kind of gear I should be looking at. *

I'm getting all excited for the upcoming albacore season.

One last question if that would be alright....what type of line (brand and poundage) would you suggest on these setups?

also, thanks for those websites, they really helped.

Tight lines out there!

TSL
04-09-2006, 11:15 AM
i dont want to rain on your parade...but
you say you are new to the salt?
before spending a bunch of big dollars you may want to take a ride on a party boat to find out if your belly will let you go
you should be able to rent gear on the boat
tuna tend to be out further than the rest of the fish we fish for on the north and central coast
alot of people like the idea of being on the big blue and find out they cant make the ride
i feel for these people but there is not much that can be done if the standard medications do not work

TSL

FishnRN
04-09-2006, 04:17 PM
i dont want to rain on your parade...but
you say you are new to the salt?
before spending a bunch of big dollars you may want to take a ride on a party boat to find out if your belly will let you go
you should be able to rent gear on the boat
tuna tend to be out further than the rest of the fish we fish for on the north and central coast
alot of people like the idea of being on the big blue and find out they cant make the ride
i feel for these people but there is not much that can be done if the standard medications do not work

TSL
TSL is very right, there are some of who just can't take the motion of the ocean. But if you love it out there as much I do, you can make it happen. I do the normal dramamine and still end up "chumming" at least three times when I go rockfishing, salmon, etc. Its no fun, but I sure do like being on the ocean catching fish. Again, like TSL said, take a trip and see how you do, maybe its not for you, but hopefully it is, so get out there and have fun brother!
-Ben

phisherman
04-10-2006, 12:34 PM
One last question if that would be alright....what type of line (brand and poundage) would you suggest on these setups?

Hey Steel Hunter,

On the Torium 16 go with 25# Big Game. On the 20 or 30 you could go 100 yards of 30-40# topshot Big Game with 65# spectra (powerpro) as backing.

TSL makes a good point, I have never seen anyone look as miserable as those people who get sea sick. Nor. Cal. Waters can get NASTY :o! Me, I love it, but I always feel real bad for the guy with the rental rod on the party boat who's turning green and we haven't even left the dock yet! That poor guy is going to have a loooong day ;D. *Phish On!!!

Know_Excuses
04-10-2006, 06:23 PM
TSL is very right, there are some of who just can't take the motion of the ocean. *But if you love it out there as much I do, you can make it happen. *I do the normal dramamine and still end up "chumming" at least three times when I go rockfishing, salmon, etc. *Its no fun, but I sure do like being on the ocean catching fish. *Again, like TSL said, take a trip and see how you do, maybe its not for you, but hopefully it is, so get out there and have fun brother!
-Ben

Ben are you sure its the motion of the ocean and not all the previous nights wobbly pops???

LOL Sorry man couldnt help myself ;D ;D :P

TSL
04-10-2006, 06:30 PM
and to bring that up
eat a nice dinner the night before
the 7 course dinner of a six pack and a bag of chips is not what you want on your bellty the next morning

been there
done this

TSL

gmdcdvm
04-11-2006, 02:57 AM
Last year I found out for the first time what you mean. I got sick for the first time ever, and it was miserable. I used to feel bad for those guys on the boat, and now that I have been one of those guys I can definitely sympathize. I don't wish that on anyone.

As for set ups like everyone else said there are tons of options for albacore and other tuna. It depends on the style of fishing you want to do, and how heavily you want to invest. Out of San Diego on party boats you are limited to live bait and throwing iron/lures/jigs/swimbaits. No one trolls very often on a party boat unless its a private charter or a long range trip. Don't know a lot about Northern Cali Alabcore since I have never gone out. Out of San Diego they will use 30lb-40lb when its a good bite, and down to 20lb (and even 15lbs) sometimes when the fish are really picky. The yellow tail can also be landed on the 30-40lb, but less than 30lbs and you run the risk of being broken off in the rocks or kelp. It gets harder to turn them away when you are using lighter line and lighter drag settings, and those guys can run (even the small models). I'll drop down to 20-25lbs if they are small or the bite is pretty scratchy. No most 3/4 day and full day boats you are usually dealing with albies and yellows, and sometimes blue fin. Not to many yellow fin come within this range.
As for actual gear, you name it. From what I hear anything you use down south will work up here for albies. You basically want a good 20-30lb reel with good freespool for casting, and a rod rated about 20-40lbs. Probably a good idea to invest in a good reel that wont fail on you after repeated runs.

You can ask to socal guys on this website www.allcoastsportfishing.com under their tackle forum. They are loaded with information, or better yet due a search in their forums. Hope this helps, *at 4a.m. it might just be mindless babble.

I'mg going down to visit the family at the end of April, and I am going to give the yellow a try. I use a torium 20 with 60lb spectra and 30lb mono on a Calstar Rod 800M rod. It works well for casting, and has enough back bone when the fight is on. An 8ft rod might be a little impractical if you are traveling given airline restrictions.
Gerry

Imbigdave
04-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Definintly, rent some gear or borrow some from friends gear, down south you rent gear at the landing at it is usually good solid stuff - penn reels and sabre or calstar rods. Go fishing and learn! it can take a while to learn how to fish tuna and do good when they are not "on the corner"
and eating anything that hits the water. Be the guy who talks to your fellow anglers and more important in my opinion talk to the crew and learn from them!!!!!! THEY DO IT FOR A LIVING!!!everyday they can and believe me for what they get paid it is a labor of love.

See *what everybody is using, most will let you try thier rigs or show them off to you as much as you want, see what the deckhands are using.
You would be suprised if you saw what I still have from my days on the EXCEL.

What you experience will definintly vary in attitudes and fishing styles from boat to boat and up and down the coast from passengers and crew.

PM me if you want to here more. I did it for 10 years out of SD

BigDave

SteelHunter
04-13-2006, 07:19 AM
Thanks everyone for all the replies.

After looking at the expense of all the gear....I think I'll first try renting gear from the Charter boat.

This will also help me in determining my sea worthiness before I spend a lot of money on gear.

I'll definitely post pics after my first trip whether a good or bad trip.

Again, thanks for all the great information.

See ya out on the water.