PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Beach watsonville

polybass
04-07-2006, 02:18 PM
could anybody lead me some tips on fishing at Sunset Beach watsonville, im gonna go there for a family trip just wanted to knoe wat fish are there and how catch em thanks alot

AnglerBG
04-07-2006, 04:06 PM
I've only been up there once. It was right after I moved to the area, and it's where I caught my first few surfperch. Surfperch make up the majority of the catch, much like most of the other Monterey Bay beaches. Depending on the season, possibly some stripers here and there. I fished it on a sunny day in the fall, and it was a blast. a very nice beach, and a good choice, good luck and have fun :).

CenCoast_Angler
04-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Sunset is one of my favorite beaches for surfperch...or just relaxing.
The only thing you'll catch there are surfperch but they're good eating and fun to catch. If using bait, try to catch some sandcrabs or get bloodworms from the liquor store on the corner of HWY 1 in south Moss Landing. If you want to use lures (possibly more productive), try a sliding sinker setup/carolina rig with a 18 inch leader and a 2-inch curly tail grub. Motor oil w/ red flake is supposed to be the best color--I think they're made by Kalins or Berkley. But I've also had luck with any grub that has some red or orange, as they resemble spawning sandcrabs.
You don't need to cast out very far to catch surfperch--they're usually in 2-4 feet of water, inside the whitewash.
Good luck, and let us know how you do,
PK

polybass
04-08-2006, 04:30 PM
thanks for the info guyz,

for the carolina rig with the grub,do we insert the hook in the grub like bass style where its weedless or just reguler like put bait on hook, and oh yeah we cast and retrieve or we just cast and leave the thing there.
thnx for help

put_em_back
04-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Thread the grub on the hook so that the point is exposed.

If you have time, put a drop of thick super glue on the hook shank so that the grub is glued to the hook. You'll be able to fish longer without having to change gubs. Make a half dozen and drop theim into a baggie.

The beaches down there are great.

AnglerBG
04-09-2006, 02:39 AM
Theoretically you fish the rig like a carolina rig for bass- keep the line tight and slowly drag the rig back to you. In reality, most times the wave action will push the rig back to you on it's own, so all you have to do is take up the slack line and keep it tight, so you can detect bites. Sometimes in calmer conditions the weight will bog down in the sand and become stationary. If you're still searching for fish, just jerk it free. If you've located fish, you can let it bog down in the hot area and just keep the line tight and wait to get bit- the surge from the waves will move the grub around while the weight is stationary.

put_em_back's idea about the super glue sounds like a good one, I'll have to try that.

polybass
04-09-2006, 10:30 AM
haha thnx i will try the glue method, its seems promising

put_em_back
04-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Theoretically you fish the rig like a carolina rig for bass- keep the line tight and slowly drag the rig back to you. In reality, most times the wave action will push the rig back to you on it's own, so all you have to do is take up the slack line and keep it tight, so you can detect bites. Sometimes in calmer conditions the weight will bog down in the sand and become stationary. If you're still searching for fish, just jerk it free. If you've located fish, you can let it bog down in the hot area and just keep the line tight and wait to get bit- the surge from the waves will move the grub around while the weight is stationary.

put_em_back's idea about the super glue sounds like a good one, I'll have to try that.

Thread the grub half way onto the hook and put a drop of SG on the shank. Push the grub all the way up. Watch out for SG between your fingers.

I do the same thing with swimbaits for stripers.