PDA

View Full Version : Launching at Shelter Cove

jackalope1938
04-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Anyone have any feedback, pictures, stories? relating to launching at shelter cove. I am considering a trip this year, however, I want to make sure my boat will launch using the tractor. I have a 19ft Alumaweld Stryker w/Jet.
Thanks,
Jack

brendensboat
04-01-2006, 03:55 PM
i think you will be fine, but the ride from 101 to shelter cove sucks, ita a long twisty ride..
i would go if i were u but u cant fish for salmon....
brenden

GCinGV
04-01-2006, 09:54 PM
When do you plan on going up? Iím thinking of going for a week in early Aug for Rockies and Halibut, like Brenden said looks like no Salmon this year.
The road is a pain; be sure your brakes are in good shape and when you get to the store about half way down stop for a while and let them cool.
The main thing with launching is try to avoid launching and especially loading at high tide. The waves come over the top of the brake-water at high tide hitting you broadside and if itís sloppy it can be real tough to get back on the trailer. Guide bunks on the trailer help a bunch also.
GC

exocet
04-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Just pay for the tractor launch.

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/58/sheltercove11fo.jpg

http://img326.imageshack.us/img326/8887/sheltercove20du.jpg

http://img326.imageshack.us/img326/1210/sheltercove4er.jpg

triggerfish
04-02-2006, 06:08 PM
would there be any problem launching a 22 ft bayliner?

exocet
04-03-2006, 04:36 AM
no problem triggerfish

triggerfish
04-03-2006, 10:12 PM
thanks exocet,perhaps we need to have a mini snifferfest in may/june! 8-)

Rusty_Hooks
04-04-2006, 06:11 AM
The road is a pain; be sure your brakes are in good shape and when you get to the store about half way down stop for a while and let them cool.

This should be in BIG BOLD LETTERS :exclamation :exclamation

Let me know when you guys are going up......I love this place and may just have to break away ::) ::)

CenCoast_Angler
04-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Count me in!
I love that place. My parents bought property up there a couple years ago and we're building a house this summer so I'll probably be up there a bunch.
Sniffferfest in July sounds good!
Why no salmon this year?

The salmon in my signature/avatar is a 20 pounder from 2 summers ago.

PK

fishguts
04-04-2006, 05:14 PM
I understand you can rent a cabin/trailer? there. What are they like?
My neighbor used to go up there all the time and I would like to go sometime.

GCinGV
04-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Iíve only stayed at the Beach Comber Inn (707-986-7733) a group of old homes converted into apartment type rooms with kitchens, a few hundred yards up the road from the bait shop. Nothing fancy; I think they start at $65 per night. The rooms are bit quieter and more secluded then the trailers and seem to be a bit more secure, but not quit as convenient if your tractor launching though; since the trailers are next to the ramp the tractor will just drop the boat where your parking it for the night and you donít have to hook back up to the truck.
GC

fishguts
04-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Sounds like I can take the motorhome and tow the boat and they do the rest in regards to launching etc.? Is there a place to park a motorhome with or without hookups? Better yet is there a web site I can go to?

GCinGV
04-05-2006, 09:32 AM
The campground across from the bait shop has spaces for motor homes but I donít know about hook-ups. Iím not sure if the tractor will pick your boat up from the campground or if you need to leave it at the bait shop over night. I donít have the numbers for the bait shop and campground but if you call the Beach Comber they will have the numbers.
Iíve considered taking my motor home but Iím not sure I want to drive it down that long, steep, curvy, nerve racking hill especially towing a boat; allot of people do though. The first time I went to Shelter cove you could see the wreckage of a motor home that had lost its brakes, gone off the road and burned the day before. I would recommend taking a drive and checking it out for yourself before you decide to take your motor home; but then thatís just me, and Iím getting real cautious in my old age.
One other thing; Gas, food, tackle and other supplies are extremely expensive at the bottom of the hill so try to take most everything with you.
GC

CenCoast_Angler
04-05-2006, 11:15 AM
If I remember correctly, no hookups in the campground.
And yes, the tractor will pick up your boat from your campsite---leave your trailer at the top of the ramp---then tow you back to your campsite when you return from slaying salmon/halibut/lings/crabs.

Some of the locals use modified trailers to launch their boat. It is a longer tongue that hinges/swings. This way, you keep your truck out of the water. This is usually done with lighter, aluminum boats. I'm thinking that there has to be a way to install retractable/swinging wheels on the transom of an aluminum so you could just slide it off the trailer and walk it down into the surf to launch---then jump in the boat, pull up the wheels and go fishing.
Anyone have experience with a rig like that?

Thanks,
PK

GCinGV
04-05-2006, 08:08 PM
My buddy who lives there has a 14í aluminum, with the wheels on the back and a tong mounted on the bow of the boat and just hauls it home on the flip up wheels.
My partner called the bait shop and the tractor launch is now $35 and he only does it Thursday, Fri. and Sat so mid week you now have to launch on your own.
GC

GCinGV
04-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Correction:
Looks like they will be launching 7 days a week after all beginning in May. Here are the details from my buddies call the other day; thought Id pass it along. Thereís no one there now so for info you have to leave a message and wait for a return call and he said it takes a while.
Lost Coast Landing at Shelter Cove: 707-986-1234
They are now open Friday Saturday and Sunday only from 9am-5pm. In May the hours are changing 7 am to 5pm open seven days a week. Their tractor lunch fee is $30 up to 16 feet, $35 up to 22 feet and $40 for 22 feet and up.!!!
GC

fishguts
04-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Thanks for taking the time and getting the information.
Is it me being cheap or are their prices to launch your boat with an old tractor a bit pricey?

GCinGV
04-08-2006, 07:31 AM
Fishguts,
I was thinking the same thing; seem like it was only about $20 last time I was up there but itís been a long time and I understand there is a new owner now.
Also been looking at Trinidad; its $25 to launch and the driveís not as bad.
GC

fishguts
04-08-2006, 09:23 AM
I've been to Trinidad for the clam chowder at the restaurant but never launched there or at Shelter Cove.
It seems that they could make it more appealing to the folks who drive many distances and usually hang around a few days. For example, including the launch when you stay at one of their "exclusive" cabins or trailers. Even a frequent launcher pass so you can launch for several days at a reduced rate or make the third launch and retrieve free. By the time I would be done launching there for a few days it would be about $100.00 in just those fees, combine food, lodging, bait, tackle outrageous fuel costs and the long drive from the Bay Area. At that price, I could leave my boat and fish all year on the local party boats. I think I will pass for now.
I don't have a problem of people trying to make a buck and they can charge anything they want if they believe the market will sustain it, but they need to market their place better for an incentive to want to go. Once you are there and staying a few days, the money we spend in the area alone should more than assist in other costs. Its the repeat business that keeps them going.
I guess there are Pirates everywhere.

Laporte
04-08-2006, 12:24 PM
I stay at Shelter Cove for a week every year around July. I try to make what I call a marathon run (6 + hour drive from Meadow Vista) couple of times. The fishing there is Jurassic Park! Be forewarned on the 4th. July the place is a ZOO! The place looks like Mardi Gras the next morning. Might not be as bad falling on a weekday this year. Kenny sold out at the launch & the prices are as described in previous post. They pretty much got ya at the launch. I'ts still cheaper than cleaning out a cab full of saltwater from a swell while trailering your boat. I believe you can find Shelter Cove @ www.sheltercoveca.com ,but it isn't updated regularly. Yes there is limited hookups @ the campground, Just call ahead & reserve one w/Bruce at the deli. PS,Don't clean three limits of Salmon,Lings, & Snappers on one of the picnic tables in the Campground :-[ Tried this once when the cleaning table broke down. GOT REAMED BIG TIME ;D Put er in low & have an trip to remember. David

fishguts
04-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the info, if one can get a group up than I guess it will help defray some of the costs.