PDA

View Full Version : California Dawn Adventure 7/05

Jason
07-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Between moving and working out of town, it's been awhile since I've posted on here. Got a trip going with a few friends on the Cal Dawn for Thursday. Went out on the 4th last year, but the Berkeley Marina area is a zoo for the 4th, so picked Friday instead. Woke up at 2:00 am and saw a Small Craft Advisory in effect but we went anyway. Got on the boat to a lively crowd from the Georgetown, Greenwood Area who were there for a birthday party. Another friend shows up with his son, they had plans for salmon fishing on another charter, but the trip was canceled. James gets on and says most of the fleet isn't going out, but he will make an attempt. As soon as we hit the Golden Gate, it got ugly. Tackle boxes and ice chests are flying. We hit the first spot, I start for my rod, and puke off the side. Did a few drifts we get some fish and head to another. Fair amounts of blacks and some keeper lings on each drift. Took 16 ounces of weight to keep everything on the bottom. Ended the day with a limit of blacks and one 24 inch ling. If anyone hasn't heard Tawny's husband Bob, who also cooked on The Dawn passed away last week.

CRABBY
07-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Jason that is one straight up honest post!!!Congrats on doin what ya did.....Don:cheers:

woolybuggin
07-06-2013, 05:30 PM
I went on the happy hooker ( which I believe Is the cal dawns father) last year in calm water and still ended up pukin over the side a few times lol. I still had a blast!Your crazy for goin out in conditions like that, I would've ended up fishin off the Berkeley Pier instead.

damkid85
07-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Sucks that he passed and a lot of people get sick but way to keep fishing for that limit

Gone_Hooken_510
07-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Yes in deed it was rough nasty I was rite next door on the new easy rider with Joey headed out to go salmon fishing but we hit the potato patch n so nasty he offered to turn around n full refund and of course 3/4 of the boat wanted to head back but glad you guys got some fish

smithstation
08-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Bob was a great cook!! He often took care of us when Tawney was busy. Our thoughts and prayers are with Tawney.

Glad you had a good trip, rough but good!!