PDA

View Full Version : Custom Salmon Flasher How To Video

Lyla&Jace
07-06-2013, 05:27 PM
If you are tired of buying salmon flashers why not make your own...if you think about it all they are is plastic, swivels, and reflective tape. So i made a video of the flasher that i make based on Big Al's Fish Flash Flasher...one of Bigs Al's flashers cost between 9.99(4") and 15.99 (8") but you can make the one i make in the video for about 2.50 or less per flasher and THEY WORK (check out my July 4th Bodega Bay video for proof) I'm not trying to knock Big Al or any other proven flasher im just saying you can make one easily for far cheaper

How To: Custom Triangle Salmon Flasher - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A12OQ5QoWDw)

salmonid
07-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Good idea to make your own, but I'm too lazy and don't lose enough to do it! Do you ever fish the flashers in the bay or rivers for salmon?

I thought you must have lived next door to me since I heard that same annoying ice cream van song in your video, but I guess they are everywhere since you're in Vallejo.

Best,

Lyla&Jace
07-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Good idea to make your own, but I'm too lazy and don't lose enough to do it! Do you ever fish the flashers in the bay or rivers for salmon?

I thought you must have lived next door to me since I heard that same annoying ice cream van song in your video, but I guess they are everywhere since you're in Vallejo.

Best,

Over here off Benicia State Park when the people are casting off the bank we do a little trolling with the flashers for salmon or Paradise Cove/Angel Island when the salmon are there we troll in those areas...other than that really after the salmon are gone from outside the gate/ Bodega/ Half moon (unless there is a hot bite off Paradise/Benicia) we just go back to sturgeon fishing in Suisun

salmonid
07-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Sweet and thanks for the info!

I would recommend stainless ball bearing swivels instead of bead chains. It's more money, but the swivels will out perform bead chains which have also been known to break on a big fish. Nice looking flashers,

Best,

Over here off Benicia State Park when the people are casting off the bank we do a little trolling with the flashers for salmon or Paradise Cove/Angel Island when the salmon are there we troll in those areas...other than that really after the salmon are gone from outside the gate/ Bodega/ Half moon (unless there is a hot bite off Paradise/Benicia) we just go back to sturgeon fishing in Suisun

Lyla&Jace
07-06-2013, 07:04 PM
yea i did mention the ball bearing in the video, but like you said they can be a bit pricey. i would love to have all my flashers to have ball bearing swivels but a pack of 5 is like 5 to 6 dollars... ill have to slowly invest in some but i do like how smooth they are unlike barrel swivels.

Seon
07-07-2013, 06:00 AM
Good job DJ and welcome the the Sniffer :friends028hh:

Lyla&Jace
04-01-2014, 06:40 PM
salmon season is coming up and i thought i'd bump this for those interested in creating their own flashers for fishing salmon. I'm completely into making my own tackle such as these flashers because it saves you tons of money and you can get as creative as you want.

IronClad
04-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Where did you pick up the tape ? I want to make some of these for up on the lake here. i think they would work killer, easier for me to justify making a bunch cheap than spending 10 bucks+ a pop on just 1 color.

Lyla&Jace
04-01-2014, 06:59 PM
ebay from

soudersfishing on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/usr/soudersfishing?_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754)

IronClad
04-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Cool thanks !

wormyak
04-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Nice job David! It's nice seeing the pride you take in what you do. Your a good teacher also....just don't burn your garage down! I'll do this project when I get time. :9997dp:Thanks for turning everyone on to this project!

Lyla&Jace
04-01-2014, 08:32 PM
thanks worm, the feeling of catching a fish on something you took the time to craft yourself just adds the the whole experience

Chetco
04-22-2014, 07:30 AM
The swivels are expensive but the gas too get there is also, never had any of my home made flasher fail while fighting salmon . Heat gun works much better than a torch, hair dryer may also work (until someone finds out).Graphic sign shops have lots of tape.