PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful day at Mccloud.

Clearwaterkid
07-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Well I went fishing, and despite my infamiliarity with the lake, I did fairly well for a guy who's line kept on tangling.
We got out at about 8-ish and trolled around for fifteen minutes till we decided where we wanted to fish. We headed up to the river and the water was gorgeous, glass clear with a turquoise tint to it you could see the bottom on almost our whole drift. (8-20 feet deep.). We saw our fish hit. I tied on a 1/8 oz white crappie jig which my father said wouldn't be any good. He ate those words when I caught the first fish. Both of my fish for the day were very chunky fourteen inchers and my dad got a sixteen incher (powerbait). The man we went out to the lake with, Larry, got skunked, but he was in good humor the whole trip.
Once my dad got a good strike that knocked off his powerbait, and as he reeled up to bait back up we saw his powerbait float up and get eaten by the same fish that just struck XD.
then we went and sat under the bridge for about two hours. But right before that we stopped at the shore to answer a call of nature. And I fell in the water trying to get on shore to pull the boat up for dad and Larry.

After that we toured around the lake for fun and right at the dam our motor cut out, we putputted with a trolling motor back to the dock. Aong the way I decided to fool around with a trolling rig (1/2 oz barrel weight 2 foot leader krocodile spoon (1/4 oz maybe 3/8 oz) we were going .6 miles an hour. I was running an avg. thirty feet down.) as we put putted around the fish were all suspended anywhere from 96 feet to 16 feet the fish were rarely on their own. Usually they traveled in schools of anywhere from 3 to twenty. I got one GOOD bite but I didn't set it in time and lost it. Right when I reeled up for the last time a fish showed up on the depth finder that was the biggest we'd seen all day, I mean literally it could have eaten the other fish around it. I was going to drop my trolling rig back down but my dad didn't let me.

At the dock Fish and game came and snagged a guy who was fishing without a license, they'd checked us on our way back to the dock so I knew what was gonna happen.
All in all it was a great day.

salmonid
07-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Sounds like a good trip! That sure is a pretty part of the state, do you have any pics of the lake?

Best,

Clearwaterkid
07-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Sounds like a good trip! That sure is a pretty part of the state, do you have any pics of the lake?

Best,

I was planning to take pictures but when we were there i was stunned and i forgot. Besides if i had taken pics, my phone won't sync up with my computer and i cant put them on

shasta_steve
07-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Trout creek is right out of McCloud and one of my favorite places to camp when I was younger. Lots of little trout and a nice little campground. It is a great place to take kids or was as I have not been there in almost 20 years.

When I was about 10 or 11 my Dad worked in the woods just out of Bartle and would sometimes drop me off at a little creek up Harris Spring Rd. I would fish all morning and then walk back to where they were working. I would spend the rest of the day riding in a loader or on a skidder. Not sure OSHA would go for that today.

Clearwaterkid
07-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Lol
All I know is that the magic spot for us was right before this bend where the cloudy water and the clear water started to mix, big ol stumps. I had a nice brown swipe at my jig, but no cookie.