PDA

View Full Version : Smoking salmon

damkid85
07-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Got my Recipe down but when it come to smoking the fish I have problems like the fish comes out Soggy taste good just mussy what to do

FolsomFishing
07-08-2013, 06:27 PM
I have a really good smoked salmon recipe

American River Smoked Salmon
Ingredients

Cure
* 1 C kosher salt
* 1/2 C sugar
* 1/2 C dark brown sugar
* 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
* 1 tbsp crushed black peppercorns
* 2 large salmon fillets, skin on

Rub
* 1 Tbsp brown sugar
* 1 Tbsp fresh cracked pepper
* 1 tsp garlic powder

Directions
In a bowl, mix together salt, sugar, brown sugar and peppercorns. Spread extra-wide aluminum foil a little longer than the length of the fish and top with an equally long layer of plastic wrap. Sprinkle 1/3 of the rub onto the plastic. Lay 1 side of the fish skin down onto the rub. Sprinkle 1/3 of the rub onto the flesh of the salmon. Place second side of salmon, flesh down onto the first side. Match-up the heads and tails end together so its like a whole fish again. Use the remaining rub to cover the skin on the top piece. Fold plastic over to cover then close edges of foil together and crimp tightly around the fish.

Place wrapped fish onto a sheet pan and top with another pan. Weigh with a heavy phone book or a brick or two and refrigerate for 12 hours. Flip the fish over and refrigerate another 12 hours. Some juice will leak out during the process so make sure there’s a place for the runoff to gather.

Unwrap fish and rinse off the cure with cold water. Pat salmon with paper towels then place in a cool, dry place (not the refrigerator) until the surface of the fish is dry and matte-like, about 2 hours. To be honest, I just leave mine on the counter on a cooling rack but Im not recommending you do this but it is how I do it. Once dry and before putting on the smoker sprinkle the rub on both fillets. Cut the fillets in half so you have 4 pieces, 2 thicker shoulder pieces and 2 thinner tail pieces.

If you have a vertical smoker, put the thinner pieces of salmon toward the top of your smoker and the thicker pieces underneath them. Smoke fish with Alder hardwood chips keeping the temperature inside the smoker between 140 – 145 degrees F. To keep the temperature low and the chips still smoking you may need to crank the heat up on the chips and leave the lid/door of the smoker open some. It will all depend on your smoker.

I like to keep a good smoke on the fish for the first 3 hours or so. Some people will tell you a specific temperature to smoke the fish to but I dont like poking the fillets with a thermometer, it lets the juices start to run out. Smoke it until the fillets feel done when you touch it with your finger. Everyone likes their smoked salmon to a different firmness, I like mine more firm so its about 4 hours on the smoker and the meat feels like a medium steak. The thinner tail pieces will be finished before the thickest pieces so pull them off earlier.

This recipe is based on Alton Brown’s smoked salmon recipe. To see the original recipe and a video of his technique see, http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/smoked-salmon-recipe/index.html

salmonid
07-08-2013, 06:45 PM
If it's soggy and mushy, you need to either increase the smoking time, or increase the heat. Also, if you do a wet brine, you can let it air dry for longer.

Best,

Got my Recipe down but when it come to smoking the fish I have problems like the fish comes out Soggy taste good just mussy what to do

salmonid
07-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Maybe you could give your procedure and we can try to help with some ideas.

Best,

FolsomFishing
07-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Cure it right and it never be soggy. It's not a function of heat or time, it's in the cure. If you used a wet marinade then like salmon said you have to leave it out for a few hours to dry completely

drinkinbuddy
07-08-2013, 06:59 PM
I have found that it is all about the pellicle. The pellicle is formed by placing your fish in the fridge over night uncovered on a wire rack so the air can get to the meat and form that skin (pellicle) over the exposed meat. This will take you to the next level that you need. I did smoked salmon several times before I started to do this and wow what a difference in the quality of the finished product. I now can make smoked salmon better than the packaged stuff that is sold at the farmers market that is "custom". Don't give up, you will get it.

Drinkinbuddy

damkid85
07-08-2013, 08:55 PM
I soke it for about 24 hrs in a brine air dry till meat is dry and then smoke some of this is perfect after a couple hrs and some are holding in juices

salmonid
07-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Gotcha,

I use a wet brine too. I soak it for 1 hour at room temperature and let it dry overnight, or for a couple hours in front of a fan. Maybe you're brining it for too long.

But if some of your pieces are good and others are too wet, I think it's your smoker. Maybe it's not evenly cooking the fish? Check if the wet ones are clustered in the same area next time and try to rotate them so they get the same amount of heat.

Best,

drinkinbuddy
07-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Sounds like a good time to buy a pellet smoker, they come with a convection fan. The air is circulated and tempature controlled. If that is a no go then practice and get quality digital thermometers to learn your smokers temp zones and adjust accordingly. Practice, eat, practice, eat some more. What other hobby can you have where your mistakes still taste good?

Drinkinbuddy

damkid85
07-09-2013, 04:32 PM
I only smoke fish but maybe time to get a new smoker

shasta_steve
07-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Anyone using an electric Bradley type smoker for salmon? It looks like it may be easier to control the heat than some of the others. I recently bought a Kamado type ceramic grill. It works great for BBQ and smoking meat but I don't think I can keep it low enough for really good smoked salmon.

sportygirl
07-09-2013, 07:34 PM
We just got the Masterbuilt brand ...although its still in the box waiting to be put together... then need to season it..... Hoping to have something something smoking in it by the weekend... Electric..hoping it will be easy to figure out...try out some chicken before I dare lay a Salmon in it!:excited:

drinkinbuddy
07-09-2013, 08:17 PM
We just got the Masterbuilt brand ...although its still in the box waiting to be put together... then need to season it..... Hoping to have something something smoking in it by the weekend... Electric..hoping it will be easy to figure out...try out some chicken before I dare lay a Salmon in it!:excited:

Try practicing with store bought farmed salmon that has been cut into steaks, the fillets take more practice because they are thinner. Pick a steak that has fat marbled through it. The belly part is the best as it has the most fat, it will be oily and delicious. When you get everything dialed in then go for a fillet or your personal catch. Myself, I like to steak mine out because of that belly meat. I agree that chicken would be a good way to get know your smoker.one last thing for those who are just starting out, cut the thin parts off of your fillets so they have a consistent thickness so all parts cook evenly. No dried up ends...

Drinkinbuddy

sportygirl
07-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Try practicing with store bought farmed salmon that has been cut into steaks, the fillets take more practice because they are thinner. Pick a steak that has fat marbled through it. The belly part is the best as it has the most fat, it will be oily and delicious. When you get everything dialed in then go for a fillet or your personal catch. Myself, I like to steak mine out because of that belly meat. I agree that chicken would be a good way to get know your smoker.one last thing for those who are just starting out, cut the thin parts off of your fillets so they have a consistent thickness so all parts cook evenly. No dried up ends...

Drinkinbuddy
Thank you!!! I never thought of that!!!! and UPDATE!!! its put together!!!! LOL someone must have read this...or got tired of tripping over the box???

FolsomFishing
07-09-2013, 10:11 PM
I only smoke fish but maybe time to get a new smoker

I'm not sure it's worth a new smoker if you only smoke fish. I'd try to get the brine/dry or cure method down and then see if you need a new smoker. There are lots of ways to control the heat, sometimes I even leave the door cracked open to manage the temp. One if the most important things is to keep the temp even and try not to let it spike -/+ 50 degs.

I have a cheapie Smokie Mountain propane smoker from Walmart and it's worked great for 8 years. I've smoked ribs,chicken, brisket, turkey, ducks, etc... So I really doubt it's the smoker but that's without knowing what you have :)

Also check out this forum www.smokingmeatsforum.com everyone on it is dedicated to the art of smoking meats. You can get a lot of really good info and help on there.

sportygirl
07-14-2013, 07:38 PM
FolsomFishing!!! I just used your recipe (accept I forgot to put rub ....realized 20 mins before they were done) My first time smoking!!!! OMG!!! I love it!!!! we will use that one again! Thank you for sharing!!!

jlivengood
07-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Anyone using an electric Bradley type smoker for salmon? It looks like it may be easier to control the heat than some of the others. I recently bought a Kamado type ceramic grill. It works great for BBQ and smoking meat but I don't think I can keep it low enough for really good smoked salmon.

Yes, I have a Bradley and love it. Out of all the smokers I have had this one is the best. Great for smoking fish as you can control the heat, keeping it low while still generating a good deal of smoke.

Everyone has provided great tips and suggestions. I have found all my smokers have reacted differently, so you really need to learn your smokers trait. I will usually place the thicker fillets on the bottom racks, the closer to the heat.

Drying is also critical as dry smoking, I never place any additional moisture in the smoker like I do with other meats.

And finally, I will pull some fillets out and leave others until I get them all the consistency I am looking for.

For the past few years I have received numerous compliments and always better then anything you can buy. But this came after years of practice. The keys, in my mind, are

How you clean and prepare your fillets
The brining process
Air drying completely before smoking
The smoking process, type of wood, heat and time. Personally I prefer a cool temp with a longer smoke time

Practice makes perfect! Good luck.

FolsomFishing
07-15-2013, 06:22 AM
FolsomFishing!!! I just used your recipe (accept I forgot to put rub ....realized 20 mins before they were done) My first time smoking!!!! OMG!!! I love it!!!! we will use that one again! Thank you for sharing!!!

Glad it liked it!