PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Bodega Report 07/07

kris k
07-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Thought Id join the fray at westside on Sunday. Last week i took my boat out for the first time in the salt and am thrilled at how well she handled (76 thunderbird tri hull, 20' with a 135 evinrude). Loaded the boat up at 345 and headed north. After a quick stop at Petaluma sport and dive for lead, we pulled into bodega bay at 545....and screeched to a halt almost 2 miles before the launch. With what must have been 150 trailers ahead of us, I took the opportunity to bait every cable i had, tie leaders, grab a sandwich, organize the boat, take some photos, monitor thw radio and meet some fellow anglers.. Made the best of it and hit the water around 745 or 8. With a massive fleet around the whistle buoy we decided to slide north a bit. Dropped in with a mix of uv fbr, cable baited anchovies/herring and fish flash's in green/chrome. Within 10 minutes we hook up on 2 rods. Got em to the boat and at a healthy 20/22 lb they went in the box. 10 minutes later another double. One was a shaker, the other went 18. Over the next 5 hours we tried a number of areas from the Russian river down and scratched up another 20 and 14 lber. Finally, with no notable concentration of fish to the north, we headed to take a spin by the whistle. Trolled for about an hour with no action. No nets flying and it was getting late. Combined with reports of an armada of boats waiting to pull out we decided to crank it in and go home with one fish short of our limit....just then the cable baited anchovy get hammered! Line starts screaming from the reel and its fish on. After a frantic struggle and several savage runs we got a net on out last fish for the day...a 36 lb brute!

Awesome day on the water. Beautiful weather, good fishing and a whale spotting to boot!

Think I'm gonna take my salmon bellies and head out for shark next time thanks to other recent posts...plus after that mob scene on Sunday I almost feel bad for those salmon..lol

btw.. Got em all deep between 70 and 90

Have lots of pics, but don't know how to post them from my i phone. Any advice?

salmonid
07-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Very nice report there!

Sounds like a madhouse up there with launching. Glad you guys waited for that big boy to end the day with! How far is the whistle buoy from the ramp? Not sure I want to head very far into the ocean with my boat, but if it's close??

Best,

Doc Jones
07-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Very nice report there!

Sounds like a madhouse up there with launching. Glad you guys waited for that big boy to end the day with! How far is the whistle buoy from the ramp? Not sure I want to head very far into the ocean with my boat, but if it's close??

Best,

Its the closest place you can fish for salmon in a small boat in California. About a half mile from the opening of the harbor max.

Go with someone who has done it first though. Newbees can get schooled fast by the ocean.

Doc

salmonid
07-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks, Doc.

I've been out in the ocean on my boat before, just not at Bodega. Good to hear it's a short distance out in case it gets too bumpy!

Best,

Teldor
07-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the report, and what a great fish to end the day on!

djkurisu1
07-11-2013, 08:47 PM
thanks for the report. any chance on a pic of the monster?

kris k
07-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Lets see if this works...

Jimmy_M
07-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Nice write up and pics!

PeliKen
07-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Sweeet fish! Looks like a good time was had by all the crew.

Tell me, what's the wife think of the boat name? :wink:

kris k
07-12-2013, 02:07 PM
We've known each other since we were 18 so she's used to it. Lol.

Thw great thing is that 80% of people don't get it until they say it out loud. Makes for a good laugh.