PDA

View Full Version : crappie jigs

rainbowkiller
07-09-2013, 11:28 PM
Considering its the off season for me. I'm a quarry lake faithful. Last season I experimented with a few ultra light crank baits and jigs I'm wondering if any of you sniffers have fished crappie jigs for trout and the rod n line size you use. I'm traditionally a bait soaker, tho I do very well I wouldn't mind bringing out a rod designated for artficials. Opinions please?

Thought it would be important to add I am a bank fisherman

CAL916BEAR
07-10-2013, 05:18 AM
Ive used crappie jigs for trout for over 20 years, they can be deadly. I recommend using the lightest line possible (2-4 lb test) with no weight or bobber for the best action and results.

RideNfish
07-10-2013, 05:46 AM
+1 on the jigs. I use tube jigs like these. You can get different colors of course.

http://www.fishandsave.com/images/fullsize/146370.jpg

I use these mainly in streams but they work in lakes weightless when fish are close to shore especially in the winter. They saved the day on a lake this spring that we were about to get skunked on. You can add a casting bubble to get farther out on a lake and reel them back in slowly.

A must have lure is a gold kastmaster and a chrome/blue one too. They cast a mile and you can work a lot of water moving along shore on a lake.

Jfitalia
07-10-2013, 06:33 AM
You should always have 3 sizes on hand. They should be 1/16, 1/32, 1/64oz sizes. I've also been known to throw a 1/80oz jig at heavy pressured fish.

Jetspray
07-10-2013, 08:01 AM
+1 on the jigs. I use tube jigs like these. You can get different colors of course.

http://www.fishandsave.com/images/fullsize/146370.jpg

I use these mainly in streams but they work in lakes weightless when fish are close to shore especially in the winter. They saved the day on a lake this spring that we were about to get skunked on. You can add a casting bubble to get farther out on a lake and reel them back in slowly.

A must have lure is a gold kastmaster and a chrome/blue one too. They cast a mile and you can work a lot of water moving along shore on a lake.

Hang those under a bobber to float close to the surface or you can drag the bottom of the stream. Change colors for water conditions like white or black too. I like the Berkley Atomics in that color (grasshopper). I have a ton of crappie jigs myself and the Lahotan Cutthroats love them too (Pyramid) but there I like the 3" to 5" gitzit's, hard part of all of them is to get the right weight/hook combination when making them up........Jetspray

Captain Compassion
07-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Crappie jigs are for Crappie. I'm just sayin'.;)

CC

Clearwaterkid
07-10-2013, 09:51 AM
A white hair jig can be deadly as I found out on Mccloud, they followed it all the time, my action was just to fast to compensate for the drift of the boat. And it was a 1/8th oz jig, imagine a 1/16 or 1/32 oz version, and if you want an ultralight hair jig (1/80) just tie it at home with a fly tying kit, works perfectly.

GNappers
07-10-2013, 02:17 PM
On creeks and rivers I love using jigs of all sizes. Sometimes I'll add a piece of power worm. I always change colors if certain color is not working. Sometimes I get bit on the drop or slow retrieval. My best day on Amador was fishing a cove with jigs. If I have to cast farther out I'll use a water bobber.

rainbowkiller
07-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Sweet! That's a ton of great info. I know quarry get hit hard when the bite is good and sometimes the trout there can get very pressured and spooky. I remember a day there were I literally had to crawl close to the bank and cast out my pb with just a swivel for weight because if they seen a shadow or felt the weight it was over. With such light weight what kind of rod would give you any casting distance?

Jfitalia
07-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Sweet! That's a ton of great info. I know quarry get hit hard when the bite is good and sometimes the trout there can get very pressured and spooky. I remember a day there were I literally had to crawl close to the bank and cast out my pb with just a swivel for weight because if they seen a shadow or felt the weight it was over. With such light weight what kind of rod would give you any casting distance?

I use a 7ft or 7'6" fast action rod. For high flowing or stained streams I would suggest 4-6lb test line. For fishing lakes I would suggest 2lb test unless your fishing Pyramid.

WhopperStopper
07-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Crappie jigs are great for trout. White, black, and yellow maribou jigs are my go to colors. Berkeley power worms on a 1/32 oz jighead are also lethal. I usually work them under a bobber with a slow twitching retrieve.

WhopperStopper
07-10-2013, 03:54 PM
The Berkeley power worms are the 3" trout worms. I like to use the lightest line possible. I usually use 4# test.

rainbowkiller
07-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Ok thanks for the quick reply. When you guys mention bobber fishing are you guys running slip bobbers? The reason I'm asking a lot of details is I use the off season to build my arsenal while the gear is discounted. Maybe I'll just drive up to bps in Manteca and try to find a rod reel combo rated for ul tackle. 7'6 sounds about right I use a light action 7' with 6# flouro when I bait fish. 7'6 with 2# test is ultimate finesse. I have had sucess with rebel crawfish cranks in firetiger for big rainbows at quarry. I have a feeling I'm gonna go broke in bps preparing for next season.

Jetspray
07-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Ok thanks for the quick reply. When you guys mention bobber fishing are you guys running slip bobbers? The reason I'm asking a lot of details is I use the off season to build my arsenal while the gear is discounted. Maybe I'll just drive up to bps in Manteca and try to find a rod reel combo rated for ul tackle. 7'6 sounds about right I use a light action 7' with 6# flouro when I bait fish. 7'6 with 2# test is ultimate finesse. I have had sucess with rebel crawfish cranks in firetiger for big rainbows at quarry. I have a feeling I'm gonna go broke in bps preparing for next season.

For most rivers you don't really need slip bobbers but for lakes you can set your depths accurately with them. I like the Cabela's bobber stops because they can be used for different sizes of lines and are better for casting.........Jetspray
Bobber Stops - Per 40 : Cabela's (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Terminal-Tackle/Floats-Stops%7C/pc/104793480/c/104779980/sc/104336280/Bobber-Stops-Per-40/711759.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffloat s-stops%2F_%2FN-1100368%2FNo-48%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104336280%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat10 4793480%253Bcat104779980%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WT z_stype%3DGNP%26recordsPerPage%3D48&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104779980%3Bcat1 04336280)

MarkdaShark19
07-10-2013, 06:34 PM
For getting started I would highly recommend this kit from Bass Pro.

Bass Pro Shops® 276-Piece Blood Squirt™ Kit | Bass Pro Shops (http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-276Piece-Blood-Squirt-Kit/product/58676/)

This is what I started off using for trout and I have favorite colors, but I have caught fish on every single color. Great product, highly recomend.

rainbowkiller
07-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Markdashark does the red in all the colors help you at all. What about grubs? anyone fish grubs for trout? Been brain storming other options aswell maybe splitshot rig with a powerworm. Idk I'm just trying to find something fresh and new or old and retired to toss at them next season. I feel I would get even heavier stringers if I broke the mold. My biggest last year went 9# on a wooly bugger Carolina rigged and steady retrieved back just messing around showing my buddy my rods casting distance. Obviously if certain things work that's great to use it but how well do these things work in heavy pressure lakes?

WhopperStopper
07-10-2013, 10:37 PM
The Berkeley power trout worm on a 1/32 jighead was killer for me at Amador. As we all know Amador is very heavily pressured. I would jig it with a twitching action with long pauses under a bobber. The bobber I was usuing had rattles in it which my have helped. This was working when PB, kastmasters, spinners and all esle was failing at the time. I was limiting out on serveral days fishing right next to other guys using all the other stuff. Maribou jigs fishe'd in the same manner also caught me a few. A must was to liberally apply the Berkeley powerbait trout scent on the collar part of the maribou jig.

rainbowkiller
07-10-2013, 11:20 PM
The Berkeley power trout worm on a 1/32 jighead was killer for me at Amador. As we all know Amador is very heavily pressured. I would jig it with a twitching action with long pauses under a bobber. The bobber I was usuing had rattles in it which my have helped. This was working when PB, kastmasters, spinners and all esle was failing at the time. I was limiting out on serveral days fishing right next to other guys using all the other stuff. Maribou jigs fishe'd in the same manner also caught me a few. A must was to liberally apply the Berkeley powerbait trout scent on the collar part of the maribou jig.

This is great I'm gonna run with this. The biggest issue I have had is gin clear water and seeing trout swimming feeding on the surface with lock jaw for anything else.

MarkdaShark19
07-11-2013, 05:17 AM
I don't think the red stain is a game changer, but they are all deadly trout lures, and having a varitey is essential sometimes. Usually when I'm trout fishing, especially off of the bank. I will only use crappie jigs. If I'm getting short strikes or not getting bit just change colors until you find one the fish will hit. If the jigs don't work then my last resort is a black leech fly. I've seen grubs for before but in my opinion they are trolling lures. I primarily Fish Amador for the most part but I do well in the mountains on the carson as well. The powerworm with a split shot can be a deadly combo as well.

rainbowkiller
07-11-2013, 02:51 PM
That's a great way to break it down mark. I will stray away from the grubs for now. Just copped 446 peice crappie kit n 90$ worth of pb. Look me up when trout start getting dumped in quarry maybe we can meet up n you can teach me how to fish these jigs. Usually at quarry I have a few spots we can sight fish for em long as wr are there early