PDA

View Full Version : Fishing lake and good camping for a family get together

Mr. Hotsauce
07-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Okay...we're thinking about going camping on August 3rd. But then we dont know where's a good place to go. Been going all these years but just the big kids ( like me). Got a bunch of little ones ages 1year to 10 years old going with us this year. Possible 6-10 kids (not sure if all are going) and close to 15 adults. Would prefer a place where it's free camping like East Park since there's a bunch of us and we can save a bundle. But I've been thinking and want a place that the kids can have a fun experience out in the woods so was also looking for a place that's pretty woody like the El Dorado Hills National Forrest. Checked out Wood's lake and Wright's lake but it seems kind of pricey and dont know if we can get a decent spot or enough spots with so many of us. Any places you guys can recommend? Any places or idea would be greatly appreciated.

BIG_ONE
07-11-2013, 02:49 PM
El Dorado National Forest is bear country...not sure if you want to take the kids out there(bears will wander to your camp at night due to food). Better option would be Stanislaus National Forest, lots of great camp sites with a great trout fishery by the stream. These camp site on the other hand...are not free and it's a first come first serve basis.

Jfitalia
07-11-2013, 03:12 PM
El Dorado National Forest is bear country...not sure if you want to take the kids out there(bears will wander to your camp at night due to food). Better option would be Stanislaus National Forest, lots of great camp sites with a great trout fishery by the stream. These camp site on the other hand...are not free and it's a first come first serve basis.

I have camped all through that area and into the back country lakes there and have yet to see a bear. Maybe I am just lucky or the bears would rather just hang out by the big campgrounds. I know Loon Lake a couple years ago had a very bad bear problem.

GUSANO
07-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Look up Indian Valley Reservoir. The north end. Free dispersed camping and some campgrounds.

Indian Valley/Walker Ridge, Ukiah Field Office, Bureau of Land Management California (http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/indianvalley.html)

The north end will offer some trees down by the lake where you can set up camp. Or the campgrounds down by the dam (first come first serve). Looks like a desert when you're rolling in from Walker Ridge Rd but once you're down by the lake its pretty nice. There is lots of folk target shooting in certain areas but I have not had any troubles up there. Find a nice secluded spot and you can party all night with no complaints. Look at the map on the bottom of the link. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take a drive up there just to scout for camping areas and might as well take your fishing gear. Be warned, in between the north and south end, very few areas to camp for big crowds and rough road. But I have seen minivans and cars up there. But the north end offers more areas and lake/stream side dispersed camping. Look up some sniffer reports for fishing in Indian valley.The blue Oak campground is developed so no shooting within that area and OK. In 5 years of going up there I've only seen 1 bear up there and that was at the far north end. keep an eye out for snakes just like everywhere else. Rough roads up there so if you do decide to take the family to the north end, take the Bear Valley road to Bartlett Springs rd to reach the lake, will save you some tread. Otherwise Walker Ridge Rd off of HWY20 will get you quickest to the south end. Travel the Bartlett Springs Rd to Enter into the southern portion of Mendocino Nat. Forest.
~

CRABBY
07-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Okay...we're thinking about going camping on August 3rd. But then we dont know where's a good place to go. Been going all these years but just the big kids ( like me). Got a bunch of little ones ages 1year to 10 years old going with us this year. Possible 6-10 kids (not sure if all are going) and close to 15 adults. Would prefer a place where it's free camping like East Park since there's a bunch of us and we can save a bundle. But I've been thinking and want a place that the kids can have a fun experience out in the woods so was also looking for a place that's pretty woody like the El Dorado Hills National Forrest. Checked out Wood's lake and Wright's lake but it seems kind of pricey and dont know if we can get a decent spot or enough spots with so many of us. Any places you guys can recommend? Any places or idea would be greatly appreciated.Where do you live an how far do ya want to drive???Give us some help here!!!:eek2:

Mr. Hotsauce
07-12-2013, 07:12 AM
LOL...I did forget to mention that! From sacramento. Willing to drive 2-2 1/2 hours out. Dont wanna go out any further as they wifey cant take the days she wanted off so it wont be long as a camping trip as we wanted.

sportygirl
07-12-2013, 07:28 AM
My kids aren't campers...lol I just booked Collins lake for us the next weekend! they have group sites if you split it its pretty reasonable...they have a playground for the kids...nice beach area...ICE CREAM!!!! We have ALWAYS had a good time at that lake! and I love we can get off work Friday night and be there and set up before 8!

Teldor
07-12-2013, 08:55 AM
I have camped all through that area and into the back country lakes there and have yet to see a bear. Maybe I am just lucky or the bears would rather just hang out by the big campgrounds. I know Loon Lake a couple years ago had a very bad bear problem.

On the other hand I have been going to ice house and the area for years and don't think I have had so much as a day trip without seeing at least one bear. Every single time I have camped at ice house I have had bears wake me up as they shuffled past my tent every night.

sportygirl
07-12-2013, 09:09 AM
On the other hand I have been going to ice house and the area for years and don't think I have had so much as a day trip without seeing at least one bear. Every single time I have camped at ice house I have had bears wake me up as they shuffled past my tent every night.
REALLY??? In my whole life! never seen a bear.... every time we go to ice house... I make sure RNP knows to wake me up if he hears one!

Teldor
07-12-2013, 09:47 AM
REALLY??? In my whole life! never seen a bear.... every time we go to ice house... I make sure RNP knows to wake me up if he hears one!

Yup! The last time I camped there was two years ago now but I stayed 5 days and a very large black bear visited me every night. My tent had bear hair on it every morning and my truck did too. I have had coolers opened by bears in the middle of the day while out fishing. I always have to lock everything up. I know it's not just me as they camp ground hosts always mention it too. The main cooler I use has claw and tooth marks from the one time I left in the bed of my truck over night (oops!). Bear pulled it up out of the bed and enjoyed my trout and steak and yogurt cups. Apparently he didn't like his veggies tho!

When I was a kid and we first camped there we had to leave our camp site for a while as a momma and two cubs went roaming through everyone's lunch tables in the middle of the day.

Mr. Hotsauce
07-12-2013, 09:49 AM
I been going to ICR every year since I was 16 (now 29) and There's been only two occasions where we saw bears. It's a great place to go but Just kind of want to change it up a bit this year with the kids coming along now. Just came back not long ago from a one night fishing trip so want to go and try out new spots. Anyone ever been to Woods lake campground? How's the area and fishing?

Mr. Hotsauce
07-12-2013, 09:54 AM
I think it could be in certain areas only. The two times I've encountered them were at Jones Fork I believe. Heard them in the middle of the night going through our stuff. Woke up the next morning and one of our coolers were missing! Looked around for a bit and saw it waaay up the on one of the hills. Guess it found a spot it liked to pinic at.

rugermac
07-20-2013, 09:43 AM
I got the perfect place. Little Grass Valley res. in La Porte. Its about an hour or so past Collins lake. The lake is beautiful, nice and clear not to cold. It doesn't get to crowded on the weekends, flush toilets, and a common water source in the campgrounds. And you will have a good chance of seeing a bear! There's a small store in La Porte. It might get a little chilly night. I head up there 2-3 times a summer and love it I really feel like I'm "getting away".

Adam

rugermac
07-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Also the fishing is pretty decent for trout and plenty of forest for your kids to expllre