PDA

View Full Version : Little Chief Smoker: Front Load vs. Top Load

Cali Duck
07-11-2013, 02:48 PM
I want to pick up an electric smoker and I'm told the Little Chief's are a great bang for your buck.

Can anyone tell me the pros/cons of the top loader vs. front loader?

CRABBY
07-11-2013, 04:35 PM
I want to pick up an electric smoker and I'm told the Little Chief's are a great bang for your buck.

Can anyone tell me the pros/cons of the top loader vs. front loader?They do well for 100 bucks,get the front loader...Period !!!!!!!!!Any top loaders are a pain!!!!:fkr9al:

Line Stretcher
07-11-2013, 06:46 PM
I have the front loader and like it. It works well for me but won't do bacon so some folks don't care for them. They're not fast smokers but if you like smoked fish and don't expect it to cook the meat they're fine.

Steve079
07-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Did a lot of trout in one, and when I wanted to do bigger cuts of meat, I went bigger.
But, do get the front loader.

BigUnInDaBoat
07-12-2013, 08:36 AM
I have the top loader and have done tons of fish, never had an issue with it. Great little smokers.

Cali Duck
07-12-2013, 09:05 AM
They do well for 100 bucks,get the front loader...Period !!!!!!!!!Any top loaders are a pain!!!!:fkr9al:

Why are top loaders a pain?

Cali Duck
07-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Did a lot of trout in one, and when I wanted to do bigger cuts of meat, I went bigger.
But, do get the front loader.

What are the benefits to the front loader?

stonesfan
07-12-2013, 03:05 PM
The only advantage I see with a Top loader is that you can " Cold Smoke " Cheese.......
So unless you plan on eating a lot of Smoked Cheese, get a Front loader............

Stoney:rollingstones:

Steve079
07-12-2013, 09:03 PM
What are the benefits to the front loader?

Bottom rack is going to cook faster, with either smoker. So, with a top loader, trying to find a spot to stack your racks of hot meat, with the flies buzzing all around, to get to that bottom rack, is not fun. With a front loader, open door remove rack, done.

I mean, do what you want. I'm just trying to shorten your learning curve.

jlivengood
07-12-2013, 10:21 PM
I would have to agree with the general consensus here and suggest the Front Loader, I just think it would be so much easier to manage. I have had many smokers and smoke everything from fish, venison jerky and summer sausage, tri-tip, ribs, chicken, turkey, you name it I will smoke it.

I have found the electrics much easier to maintain your temp also. My current smoker has two elements one for heat and one for smoke, which has made it much easier to cold smoke fish.

Good Luck, smoking anything is all about trial and error, no two smokers are the same, even two of the same model tend to perform differently. You are also impacted by the weather of the day, on a cold day it will be harder to get and keep the temp up while on a hot day the exact opposite is true.

BigUnInDaBoat
07-13-2013, 08:37 AM
DAMN IT~!!!!!!!!!! I had put a load of 5 trout into my little chief yesterday at about 4pm. Just remembered NOW at 9:30 that they were still in there after reading this thread.

Oh well I hope my chickens like trout jerky.

:(

jlivengood
07-13-2013, 10:17 AM
DAMN IT~!!!!!!!!!! I had put a load of 5 trout into my little chief yesterday at about 4pm. Just remembered NOW at 9:30 that they were still in there after reading this thread.

Been there - done that! That is one reason I sprung for my Bradley smoker, not only is it digitally controlled but it also has timers so I can tell it when to shutoff. It has saved me more than once!

On a side note, trout jerky ain't that bad!

Jetspray
07-14-2013, 05:18 AM

Exactly why I have a portable temp gauge that I carry, it has a probe for the meat and one for the smoker/grill temp. You can set it with a time alarm as well as temp alarms. I like the one's I have a 48 inch stainless Weston/Cabela's, a New Braumfel's side draft smoker, and a Sam's Club propane 5 burner, infared back burner, and infared side searer.........Jetspray