PDA

View Full Version : Gaffing Salmon

Fishmeister
07-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Is it legal to gaff a legal salmon? If you are 100% certain it is a chinook and over legal size can you use a gaf to land it?

The other question I have is in the rivers for salmon. Can you keep jack salmon when river fishing for salmon? Some states let you as it is becoming the belief of the biolgists that the jacks never get back to the ocean to grow to breeding size and die in the rivers anyway.

Thanks

JB14
07-12-2013, 10:05 AM
You can gaff ocean salmon but gaffs are not allowed to be in the boat in the Delta

Lyla&Jace
07-12-2013, 06:59 PM
why would you want to gaff a salmon? what if its 23 3/4 inches and you gaff it then its a dead fish....that would suck....i think a big net with a long pole it sufficient enough, but to each his own

Seon
07-13-2013, 04:50 AM
Not legal in Inland waters.

Racinrob
07-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Not legal in Inland waters.

Not exactly true.

from regs:
2.06. Use of Gaffs.
No person shall possess or use a gaff in inland waters, except that a gaff three feet or less in length may be used to land legal-sized fish only by anglers fishing from a boat in the Sacramento River main stem below Deschutes Road Bridg

Seon
07-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Not exactly true.

from regs:
2.06. Use of Gaffs.
No person shall possess or use a gaff in inland waters, except that a gaff three feet or less in length may be used to land legal-sized fish only by anglers fishing from a boat in the Sacramento River main stem below Deschutes Road Bridg

Oooh, my Bad :slap:. This is what the regs read:

In inland waters, CCR Title 14, Section 2.06 makes it illegal to use or possess a gaff throughout California with one exception, which is a section of the Sacramento River below the Deschutes Road Bridge where gaffs three feet or less in length may be used to land legal-sized fish. This exception only applies to anglers fishing from a boat.

At any rate, regarding gaffing Salmon in the ocean waters

It would be legal to gaff a legal-sized salmon pursuant to the California Code of Regulations Title 14, Section 28.65(d), but you must still have a landing net that is at least 18 inches in diameter on board to land any undersized fish.