PDA

View Full Version : pileworms for perch

ianoji
03-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Last weekend, we got some double hand-me-down pileworms from someone packing up for the day. My GF and I were pretty excited to try them out and completely forgot to ask the simple questions of:

Where do you get pileworms?
And, I've heard they're good for perch -- Do other fish bite on them too?

ric1ric
03-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Welcome to the boards. Most bait stores carry them. They are a little expensive. In the bay and the rivers we use them for sturgeon, and stripers, and I catch some big catfish on them. I don't know about the surf , but I'm guessing they would be good for a number of differant fish. Sorry I can't be more help then that. Also I use a worm threader to put them on makes it easier and a little sand on your hands makes them not so slippery.

isdaann
03-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Its probably not the most environmentally correct thing to do, but if you pour some chlorine on a clump of mussels, the pile worms will come running out.

Fishmom
03-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Not only is it environmentally incorrect, it is illegal to use chlorine in a mussel bed. See sec. 29.05 (1) of the Ocean Fishing Regs: "no worms may be taken in any mussel bed, unless taken incidental to the harvesting of mussels"

MB_Kevin
03-22-2006, 09:37 PM
They are a great bait for alot of bay/saltwater fish and sturgeon(well I'm told never caught a sturgeon) The only problem is they cost about $1 each and could use alot in a day :'( and is hard to keep the leftovers for to long. The best I have found is in the fridge but only stay good for a few days.

badbobfishing33
03-27-2006, 04:31 PM
I heard grass shrimp for pearch...I just dig up some sand crabs in the surf...free bait....

hairywullie
03-28-2006, 02:28 PM
;D Other than the bleech ;D, How do you get your'e own pile worms?

Sounds like fun diggin for em while the poles in the water.

isdaann
03-29-2006, 06:58 AM
You have to peel back some mussels from the rocks. Try Mussels meat they work for perch too.