PDA

View Full Version : How do you gear up for Bodega bay salmon? We struck out.

salmonid
07-13-2013, 09:42 PM
I towed my river sled over to Bodega today and gave it a shot. Put in around 1pm and went a couple miles offshore to where the fleet was at the whistle buoy. We ran plug cut herring (blue and green label) behind triangle flashers. Guys at the ramp said get down to 75', so we did our best but we only had 10 oz weights rigged to dropper lines that don't release. No riggers on my sled, and I hate to lose lead with the releases!

We experienced a hot bite where everyone was hooking up and we had one nice fish get close to the boat but it popped off before we could net it. It was probably due to the new guy's inexperience with barbless hooks since the fish was coming at us when the line went slack. Had a couple other real take downs but reeled in empty hooks or just bitten off baits. Like I mentioned other boats seemed to be doing better than us in the retention department.

So, I'm wondering the best bait to use, herring or? and what size?

Do you guys recommend rotator heads like fbr's?

What speed to troll? We were going pretty slow since our weights were light and were angling up on us.

Flashers? what kind to you suggest? I have a ton of the triangle ones, but most boats were using something different. Not sure it it matters though?

Thanks much for any ideas,

Seon
07-14-2013, 04:07 AM
... we only had 10 oz weights rigged to dropper lines that don't release. No riggers on my sled, and I hate to lose lead with the releases!

Thanks much for any ideas,

Your main issue is not the tackle but the depth you need to be. You're only top lining with 10 oz, great on the River but not in the deep Blue.

You'll need to use a DR or weight release...or even a Dipsy Diver to get some depth, otherwise you're just wasting your time and fuel money.

Google "San Francisco Salmon Troll" and you'll get lots of hits. Best of luck.

JB14
07-14-2013, 06:33 AM
You just weren't deep enough. 10oz won't put you anywhere close to where u need to be.

We run 13lb balls on DR and 2.5lb balls on release.

As Seon said, dipsy diver may help but you're going to have to let out a ton of line.

GOLDBRIX
07-14-2013, 07:33 AM
We were out there yesterday same exact spot had 5 limits of salmon by 9:55 am. All fish were caught 85-99ft down. Green and pink FBR's and hoochies tipped with herring did the trick. We had about 10 pop off. 2 were caught on a 2.5# weight dropper trolling method. It's wide open out there u just have to be deep!

seaduck
07-14-2013, 11:04 AM
We were out there yesterday same exact spot had 5 limits of salmon by 9:55 am. All fish were caught 85-99ft down. Green and pink FBR's and hoochies tipped with herring did the trick. We had about 10 pop off. 2 were caught on a 2.5# weight dropper trolling method. It's wide open out there u just have to be deep!
Get deeper as everyone has said use 2.5 - 3.0 lb balls with a release FBR's with herring or chovy, hoochies and apexs all work. the way the fish are biting now you just need to put anything in front of them 2 limits and back at the dock by 8 this AM today

salmonid
07-14-2013, 11:05 AM
OK, thanks guys!

When we hooked up we had 130' of line out and the 10 oz was getting close to the bottom as we were trolling slow into the swell- like 1mph. With about 150' out we were bumping bottom. Trolling the other way, I know the baits were riding high since the line angles were shallower.

I think we weren't in the strike zone most of the time. I guess I'll look into releases.

Thanks,

Gone_Hooken_510
07-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Get deeper as everyone has said use 2.5 - 3.0 lb balls with a release FBR's with herring or chovy, hoochies and apexs all work. the way the fish are biting now you just need to put anything in front of them 2 limits and back at the dock by 8 this AM today
Daym that's nice back by 8am wheew good job on that fast catching need a hitchhiker ever let me know but great job though.

Reel Fun
07-15-2013, 02:30 PM
I just got back and we caught fish in 100-120 ft of water with FBR's right on the bottom. We also got a couple at 50-60ft but most were on the bottom. If you use a dodger it will only make the bait run shallower so if you want to get deeper without riggers just use strait bait....RF

Pintail
07-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Something else you might try is mooching if you don't like throwing lead. I believe it has to be a barbless circle hook.

We had our limit in an hour after the tide changed and we saw people hookup mooching. Count your pulls or use a reel with a counter. Anchovies Herring will work. My partner suggested the way the bite is you could put a dog t--- on.

Otherwise I will redundantly reiterate again repeating, got get deeper.

We caught all ours at 70' OTW. Cop car Apexs were the star.

salmonid
07-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Thanks pintail, I have mooched out of SF on party boats, it's a good way to fish, but will all of that traffic I'd hate to be the guy people are dodging. Maybe just outside of the fleet that would work well for us though!

Best,

bassman408
07-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Something else you might try is mooching if you don't like throwing lead. I believe it has to be a barbless circle hook.

We had our limit in an hour after the tide changed and we saw people hookup mooching. Count your pulls or use a reel with a counter. Anchovies Herring will work. My partner suggested the way the bite is you could put a dog t--- on.

Otherwise I will redundantly reiterate again repeating, got get deeper.

We caught all ours at 70' OTW. Cop car Apexs were the star.

I'm sorry, but are you guys talking about mooching in Bodega? If its anywhere near the area that most people are fishing right now, mooching is not allowed, trolling only. I'm a complete noob and even I know this. But yes, I did see few people mooching as well, but that is a ticket waiting to happen.

Read your regs folks or pay the price.

salmonid
07-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know about that since I'm just a new noob but you're right, thanks to the state marine conservation area.
:hitoverhead:

North Central California Marine Protected Areas (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mpa/nccmpas_list.asp)

I'm sorry, but are you guys talking about mooching in Bodega? If its anywhere near the area that most people are fishing right now, mooching is not allowed, trolling only. I'm a complete noob and even I know this. But yes, I did see few people mooching as well, but that is a ticket waiting to happen.

Read your regs folks or pay the price.

salmonid
07-17-2013, 04:06 PM
To update thread, I decided to use poor man's downriggers next time we head out. Just a 4# weight on a sturgeon rod. I'll keep them down at depth all day and use a rubber band on the fishing line connected to a shower curtain ring to attach to the DR. The shower ring will go down to the weight taking your lure or bait with it. Sounds like it works according to another forum, I'll let you know. Even if we have to reel in the weight, it'll be an improvement over the 10 oz balls we had last time.

Best,

duckdawg
07-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Try the # 2 chrome deep six if you don't want to lose lead. Straight cable bait, or green rotary killer. Cut the head off of the herring, or use anchovies. :shrk0hr:

oldgeezer71
07-24-2013, 09:44 AM
I listen to Bob Simms every Saturday mornng at 5:00 am to 8:00 am on 1530 am or 92.5 fm radio. He talks with the guides and asks great questions as to gear, what they are using, etc. Bodega Bay salmon fishing is usually discussed every Saturday morning. That's a long trip and hope you have better luck next time out.

OG71

salmonid
07-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Thanks geezer and duck,

rocky1
07-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Salmonid how did your Jet handle out their..I have. 19ft jet and thought about taking it out..

salmonid
07-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Hey I put the prop outboard on my boat for it, but the pump would be fine too although there was some seaweed that could plug you up if you're running hard and don't see it. Flat bottom river sled 18' long. Did great but i wouldn't go with swell over 5 feet on the noaa page. We wore our life jackets the whole time and got some odd looks, but felt pretty safe really. I think you would be fine if you check wave and wind forcast first.

Best,

Salmonid how did your Jet handle out their..I have. 19ft jet and thought about taking it out..

rocky1
07-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Ya I'll just stick to the lakes and Rivers..the ocean is No place to break down..