PDA

View Full Version : Mainland Mexico Halibut

Mexican_Mongo
03-25-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm curious if any of you have caught and California or Cortez Halibut off mainland Mexico? If so, how far South have you caught them? I caught some nice "Butts" out of Puerto Penasco several years ago, but I'm not sure how far South they range. Please let me know of your experiences. I am going Kayak Fishing in the Mazatlan area in a month or so and I'm curious what I can expect...

Mexican Mongo

"Mongo like Sheriff Bart"

GCinGV
03-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Iíve seen Halibut caught in Puerto Vallarta but Iím not sure of the species. I havenít fished Mazatlan but unless itís all sandy bottom I would think you should be able to get into some decent reef fish from a yak about then; stuff like Pargo, Snapper, Grouper, Trigger fish etc. Try casting floating crank baits like small size, broken back, Spoon bill and Fast Trac Rebels over the reefs. Blue and Chrome seems to be the hot color combination in general. Floating Crank baits are key because you can float them over obstacles and keep them from hanging up. If you use a steady retrieve in shallow water youíll snag so only crank until you feel it bump bottom, pause and let it float back to the surface then crank again. Allot of times they nail it just as the lure surfaces also. Bring plenty of spare lures; they are easy to loose on the reefs and those toothy fish tare them up pretty fast.
GC

Know_Excuses
03-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Man Gary you have to be one of the most experianced fisherman I know.Is there anything you havnt fished for yet?? ;D [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

GCinGV
03-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Man Gary you have to be one of the most experianced fisherman I know.Is there anything you havnt fished for yet?? ;D [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Thereís loads of stuff I havenít fished for yet and thereís allot of knowledgeable fishermen on the boards theyíre just not all big mouths; but thanks for the compliment.
Iíve have been lucky though in marring a wife who is flexible enough to tolerate my fishing obsession well. She also likes to travel and at least to a point doesnít mind if I fish while she does the tourist thing or lies on the beach.
GC

Jan_from_Humboldt
03-26-2006, 11:35 PM
We used to catch them on the West side over at LA Bay, we'd catch them on a slow troll south towards Sanfansisquito Bay (Sp?) using silver 2 oz crockadile spoons.

Mexican_Mongo
03-27-2006, 01:48 AM
Wow, Thanks for the great advice gang. Gary, what you said about floating lures is very true. I can't remember how many triggers I have caught just as my lure broke the surface when I stopped the retreive. Jan, I have never fished that area North of LA Bay, but now that I have a Kayak, I'll be sure to give it a try...I will be sure to report my trip on the board when I return. Until then, Tight Lines...
Mexican Mongo

"Mongo like Sheriff Bart..."

GCinGV
03-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Hey Mongo,
Sounds like you have the reef fishing thing down already. Do you have any favorite plugs or other lures? Iíve had good luck with the Rebels and like the action of the broken backs but they donít hold up very well.
Thereís a good book on fishing Baja from a small boat called the Baja Catch by Gene Kira and Neil Kelly. It gives a good description of most of the ramps and the access points along with information on the various species in each area, best time of year for each, techniques, sea conditions, etc. Check it out if you havenít already.
Vamos a pescar amigo.
GC

Jan_from_Humboldt
03-27-2006, 08:01 AM
One bit of advice from personal experience down there, keep a weather eye peeled as that wind can flat blow down there and it can come up quick. *

I've seen it go from flat calm to 6-8 foot wind waves in 15 minutes and not a cloud in the sky.

We spent two days camping out on the beach on the back side of Isla Smith due to the wind once so my strong suggestion is to have at least a gallon of drinking water and some sort of survival ration/energy bars on board as well as a small 4x6 plastic tarp for shelter.

Fresh fish wasn't a problem just make sure you have some garlic salt and matches too. *;D