PDA

View Full Version : Question for divers

ocean_314
03-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Has anyone ever tried to dive while the surf fish are running? I am thinking of taking my spear and dive behind the school of surf fish to see whats eating them?
Has anyone ever done this before?

triggerfish
03-22-2006, 07:19 AM
the surf perch are in the brakers,If you go make sure it is a small wave day. I would target rockfish/and lings. It would suck if a set of big SNEEKER waves came in and crashed on your head!

somebody
03-22-2006, 10:13 AM
nitrogen in your blood causes bends. how does it get there? air is hydrogen and oxygen. fish can dive deep and come back up without getting the bends because they i am told dont have nitrogen

TSL
03-22-2006, 10:22 AM
for some reason i have a mental image of a rock fish

TSL

deadmeat
03-22-2006, 07:25 PM
nitrogen in your blood causes bends. *how does it get there? *air is hydrogen and oxygen. *fish can dive deep and come back up without getting the bends because they i am told dont have nitrogen
Air is 78% Nitrogen.

BASNFAN
03-22-2006, 08:55 PM
:o Not me, Brother. That deeper water right behind the surf is shark country!!!! Visibility is not all that good because of sand and air bubbles and you just may look like a seal. But to each his own. :)
BASNFAN

ocean_314
03-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Sorry but i should have explained that the surf fish are the smelt that come onto the beach to spawn in the spring and summer around the Ft Bragg area. We catch them with throw nets and the hand held A frame nets. They are similar to the Grunion.
I am wondering what is eating them as they aproach the beach to spawn.

Fishbutt21
03-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Lingcod eat surf fish ;) they make good bait but I have never dove the beaches with the surf fish,I tend to go with the other opinions about not swimming with the sharks that are chasing seals feeding on fish in the surf

somebody
03-24-2006, 12:24 PM
i was thinking about water h20, thanks makes sense now, fish get oxy only fron water i guess