PDA

View Full Version : Horse Neck Clam help PLEASE!!

ngt
07-22-2013, 03:21 PM
So I went out clamming again. Soaked them in iced fresh water. Got them out. Ready to clean them. Watched a video. All of the clams on the video had brownish skin on the neck. I only have one like that. The rest are the color of the meat. I watched videos on how to clean them and they had skin being peeled off. The none-brown ones. Do they have skin on the neck too? It looks so easy on the computer, just pulls right off. mine just ripped to pieces and right through the neck. What am I doing wrong? Do these even have skin to come off? It's slimy on the outside, so I assume it's skin. Looks like it, but doesn't peel off for nothing. Any advice would be appreciated. I tried putting it in hot water quickly, but nothing. HELP! :)

ngt
07-22-2013, 07:14 PM
So it's definitely skin. The one with brownish skin peeled right off just like the videos. I sautéed one in butter and once cooked, the skin pulled right off. So I'm kind of at a loss here. Did I take bad clams? The shells on most were lighter and the shell on the brown one was a bit darker. Are there any rules of thumb for this stuff. I don't want to waste it, but I can't very well cook it in a chowder and then hand pull the skin off of every piece after it's been cooked and slime has filled my plate. Advice would really be appreciated right now.

Line Stretcher
07-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Oh man, I just had a vision. Almost puked... LOL.. Sorry, I've never done the Horse Necks before.

How about Thursday at LS. If we don't catch anything you can cook I have a bunch in the deep freeze.

ngt
07-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Oh man, I just had a vision. Almost puked... LOL.. Sorry, I've never done the Horse Necks before.

How about Thursday at LS. If we don't catch anything you can cook I have a bunch in the deep freeze.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. Good news, the parts I could eat were great. Bad news, a lot went to waste because, A: I don't know what I'm doing, or B: I don't know what I'm doing. lol. Not going for clams until I get some answers. I hate wasting things I catch.

Thursday sounds good.

ngt
07-24-2013, 12:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EJSkJlh_fg

Line Stretcher
07-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Thursday sounds good.

Yes it does but now I don't think I can make it. I just got an emergency project dumped on my lap and I'll be working all night to get it finished. I'll have to give you a rain check.

Steve

ngt
07-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Yes it does but now I don't think I can make it. I just got an emergency project dumped on my lap and I'll be working all night to get it finished. I'll have to give you a rain check.

Steve

Cool. No worries at all. I've got 3 more weeks of summer vacation and the only day that's filled is next thursday. Let me know when and good luck with the project.

WhopperStopper
07-25-2013, 07:14 PM
They do indeed have "skin" on the necks. The best way to take it off is to cut the neck off and dip them in boiling hot water for about 10-15 seconds. This loosens the "skin" on the neck and you can peel it off realatively easily. Once you've done that you can cut open the clam at the adductor muscles. These are the muscles that the clams use to close themselves. Once you have it open, you can cut off the "lips" which is the flesh on the edges of the shell and you can also cut out the stomach. The stomach must be cut open and cleaned of any sand or particulate matter. The adductor muscles can also be scraped off the shell and they make two little tasty morsels.

As for cooking them, all pieces are great breaded and deep fried, especially the stomach and the lips. For chowder I would suggest just chopping all the pieces up and throwing it in. The neck is probably the best part and can be prepared in a variety of ways. I like to slice them thin and serve it carpaccio or sashimi style with thinly sliced jalepenos and ponzu sauce.

ngt
07-27-2013, 06:34 AM
They do indeed have "skin" on the necks. The best way to take it off is to cut the neck off and dip them in boiling hot water for about 10-15 seconds. This loosens the "skin" on the neck and you can peel it off realatively easily. Once you've done that you can cut open the clam at the adductor muscles. These are the muscles that the clams use to close themselves. Once you have it open, you can cut off the "lips" which is the flesh on the edges of the shell and you can also cut out the stomach. The stomach must be cut open and cleaned of any sand or particulate matter. The adductor muscles can also be scraped off the shell and they make two little tasty morsels.

As for cooking them, all pieces are great breaded and deep fried, especially the stomach and the lips. For chowder I would suggest just chopping all the pieces up and throwing it in. The neck is probably the best part and can be prepared in a variety of ways. I like to slice them thin and serve it carpaccio or sashimi style with thinly sliced jalepenos and ponzu sauce.

Maybe I didn't leave them in the boiling water long enough, but we did put them in boiling water. Maybe 10 seconds, but it didn't help that much. This is what is bugging me. Everyone else says it comes of easily. The darker one came off like nothing. The lighter ones were like peeling sticker residue off of something. Next time I'll boil the crap out of them, or possibly take a little cooking torch to them and try to crisp the skin to peel it off. The slime on the lighter one's necks made it tough too.

Line Stretcher
07-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Cool. No worries at all. I've got 3 more weeks of summer vacation and the only day that's filled is next thursday. Let me know when and good luck with the project.

Call me, I'm open all next week. I have to warn you ahead of time, the steelhead fishing will probably not be the best. The water temp is in the high 70's by about 10:30am and the fish go really deep and just lay there.

I'm going Monday Morning if you want to join in but I have to warn you it will be an early start. I'll be leaving the house at 4:00am. Sunrise is around 6:10 and we can start fishing an hour before that. I think that's what it's gonna take to get a decent fish.

ngt
07-27-2013, 07:27 PM
Can't Monday, but I have Tuesday or Wednesday off. 4am leaving time is no problem at all.

Line Stretcher
07-28-2013, 12:03 PM
O.K. Put Wednesday on your calendar then. 4:00am at my house. I'll have coffee and breakfast aboard. Sandwiches also but I don't think we'll stay that long. I'm going tomorrow. I want to see if the fog has any affect on the bite length.

ngt
07-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Cool. Wednesday it is. No need for lunch for me, but thanks for the offer. See you at 4.

Line Stretcher
07-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Cool. Wednesday it is. No need for lunch for me, but thanks for the offer. See you at 4.

O.K. See you Wed.