PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations for a salmon charter

namjagerungbengi
07-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Hey Sniffers,

I never fished for salmon and would love to start as I hear this year has been amazing. I'm looking for smaller charter boats, and if they do salmon/rockfish even better. I'm in the south bay area so I can go either HMB down to Monterey.

The wife wants me to bring back roe... her favorite.

Appreciate the help folks.

Thanks

yonnr2000
07-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Check out the Coastside fishing club directory.

Six Pack Boats | CoastsideFishingClub.com (http://coastsidefishingclub.com/six-pack-boats/)

I've been on the Boss Hogg Sportfishing charter and they worked hard for me. I've also heard good things about Sundance Charters.

Ronny

fishon1976
07-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Give Captain Dave Hammond of Delta Pro Fishing a call. He is fishing out of Bodega Bay and he is always on point. You read about him in fishsniffer and in fact he has the cover for the new fishsniffer magazine.

Lyla&Jace
07-30-2013, 04:15 PM
check out the BlueRunner Sportsfishing...smaller 43' boat...i had an excellent time with them and they ice your fish and really want you to catch fish....bring 5's for just about any charter cuz you will need them for weights.

namjagerungbengi
07-30-2013, 04:20 PM
check out the BlueRunner Sportsfishing...smaller 43' boat...i had an excellent time with them and they ice your fish and really want you to catch fish....bring 5's for just about any charter cuz you will need them for weights.

Appreciate the responses everyone.

What do you mean by bring 5's?

Lyla&Jace
07-30-2013, 04:22 PM
5 dollar bills....if you dont bring your own (usually 2 1/2lb) weights you can buy them on the boat as you need them

namjagerungbengi
07-31-2013, 06:05 PM
5 dollar bills....if you dont bring your own (usually 2 1/2lb) weights you can buy them on the boat as you need them

Thanks, it was a silly question lol.

I'll need to rent gear, did you bring your own or rent? Also, do they bleed before icing? I would love to go with a boat that ices their fish (and bleed).

Thanks again

Lyla&Jace
07-31-2013, 06:10 PM
Naw, they didnt bleed them but I didn't ask either since it was like 7 and 8 foot waves when I went (fathers day about 25 miles off shore) and I was in no shape to be asking question but since then on my dads boat I've seen them closer about 2-4 miles off shore...you can always call and find out but I'm not sure of their exact policy...

I brought my dad and I brought our own rod and reel and a few weights but we did need more...got limits that day..

If you check their Facebook page they just got limits on their last trip

namjagerungbengi
08-01-2013, 07:41 AM
Naw, they didnt bleed them but I didn't ask either since it was like 7 and 8 foot waves when I went (fathers day about 25 miles off shore) and I was in no shape to be asking question but since then on my dads boat I've seen them closer about 2-4 miles off shore...you can always call and find out but I'm not sure of their exact policy...

I brought my dad and I brought our own rod and reel and a few weights but we did need more...got limits that day..

If you check their Facebook page they just got limits on their last trip

What rod, reel, line, do you use?

Lyla&Jace
08-01-2013, 09:41 AM
8'6 medium Shakespeare Ugly Stick Lite poles....these are good for downriggers but worked just fine with the balls too.... Diawa reels are my personal favorite the one we have they don't make anymore which is a bummer but I think its called sealine series...sea something... Great reels and you don't have to sell your arm leg and left testicle for them lol... As for line braided 30lb test is what I use....

namjagerungbengi
08-01-2013, 12:20 PM
8'6 medium Shakespeare Ugly Stick Lite poles....these are good for downriggers but worked just fine with the balls too.... Diawa reels are my personal favorite the one we have they don't make anymore which is a bummer but I think its called sealine series...sea something... Great reels and you don't have to sell your arm leg and left testicle for them lol... As for line braided 30lb test is what I use....

I'm confused, how do you fish using the cannon weights for salmon? You jig like targeting rockfish?

I have a 7'6" Heavy fiberglass rod rated for 1-4oz and a Abu Garcia 6501 with 50lb braid. Would this work?

Lyla&Jace
08-01-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm confused, how do you fish using the cannon weights for salmon? You jig like targeting rockfish?

I have a 7'6" Heavy fiberglass rod rated for 1-4oz and a Abu Garcia 6501 with 50lb braid. Would this work?

Honestly, I have yet to master the craft (and stomach) for sitting in one spot mooching, but the rig setup is a sliding sinking (oz depends on current) then a circle hook with whatever bait (frozen, alive) you choose.

For rockcod I set up a rig with 2 dropper loops with hooks and then a weight on the bottom (no sliding). (3 way swivel weight on the bottom with a long leader and 1 hook if were using live bait) On sunday my dad and I were pulling in 2 rockcod at a time on one pole which was pretty cool.

As for fishing with 2 1/2lb weights for salmon this is for trolling and you use a weight release so that when the fish strikes it pulls the release, drops the weight (its gone forever) and you fight the fish...thats why you need lots of weights sometimes because the weight drops fish gets off, new weight, line gets tangle weight drops, new weight etc..

As for your rod, its really preference, my dad and I use the 8'6 Ugly Stick Lite (Medium) rod because when we are out there fishing for salmon sometimes we might say lets go get some rockcod and all we have to do is change rig set ups plus the fights are awesome with salmon on a lighter rod. My personal belief when it comes to my rods is that I go fishing to have fun and I want it to feel the fish are having a fighting chance instead of just towing them in with a big rod and heavy line. I've had people say wow you guys fish with such skinny rods...yup because its awesome. We have even caught 50lb 55" sturgeon on those rods (2 in one day)

GNappers
08-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Caught a fish this past Sunday out of the gate and we didn't bleed since we wanted a total weight. Best salmon I ever ate. Last year on my buddies boat out of Moss we heard from a buddy boat that he not only bleeds salmon but also gills and guts them. In my opinion the fish stays firmer and your ice is nice and clean. Hard to do in a hot bite. If you can I would jump in a motor home or pack up the camping gear and head to Bodega. Sounds like it has been a 2 month long descent to hot bite. Out of HMB Tom on the Serra Bella is a captain my buddy knows. Sounds like a good guy over the radio. Out of Santa Cruz we know Brad on the Irish who I have fished with on my buddy's boat and he has fished Monterey Bay his whole life. He uses down riggers which sure beats buying balls and reeling up those weights to check your bait. His boat is a 6 pack but looks like you could hold 8 people in the cabin alone.

Another boat my buddy knows is Kahn on the Connie T. mailto:northcalsportfishing@yahoo.com (northcalsportfishing@yahoo.com)
He sometimes will drive up to the SF bay to fish halibut. I believe all the boat's mentioned use down riggers. There are some salmon being caught in Monterey but the bigger schools have been up North and some hogs are being pulled out.