PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a retrieval!

wkokaneeman
07-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Lost my downrigger last Saturday, with rod/reel, weight, etc.. seeing if there are any experienced divers out there, Willing to take a swim! somewhere between 65'-85' deep I'm guessing. Had it down at 85', got into shallow water fighting fish, didn't notice, heard a noise, turn around, and it snaps off, because I had the drag set to tight, and watched it all heading southbound! It's worth some money if it can be retrieved, to the volunteer.better than a thousand bucks for a used or new one, but. If I can't get it, that's what my future holds. any takers?
My neighbor, that was with me during the fateful event, went back yesterday on his jetski, but had a difficult time trying to control the ski, and throw the grappling hook, trying to Find the cable, and drag it up.

Trout Tracker
07-26-2013, 04:29 AM
Sorry to hear about your stuff.
I don't dive,
But if you don't get any responses from the boards you
might want to get in touch with one of the diveing schools
and see if they can or are willing to help.
I know that thier are a few in Sacramento.
One of them is Dolphin swim school.
Just a thought.
TT

Line Stretcher
07-26-2013, 09:13 AM
With total sympathy regarding your loss, I have to tell you that as a formerly certified deep sea diver, 85 feet is not a bad dive for an experienced diver with the proper equipment. It's not a dive that a beginner or non-certified amature should attempt. Hopefully you can find some one here that can do it for you but in the mean time I'd get out there and drag the hook.

drinkinbuddy
07-27-2013, 04:17 PM
How about a powerful magnet, I know that you would most likely have to hit the boom with it but you could attach it to your pole and it shouldn't snag as easily. I used one to retrieve an old pole and reel, worked like a charm, just reeled it up slow. The reel was a antique, all metal. Just sayin...

Line Stretcher
07-27-2013, 04:25 PM
How about a powerful magnet, I know that you would most likely have to hit the boom with it but you could attach it to your pole and it shouldn't snag as easily. I used one to retrieve an old pole and reel, worked like a charm, just reeled it up slow. The reel was a antique, all metal. Just sayin...

The boom is Stainless Steel, non-magnetic.

drinkinbuddy
07-27-2013, 06:50 PM
I am glad you are here PDGS, I completely forgot about that, don't want to waste his time. This would be a good time though to have someone help out with structure scan sonar locate it and then drop large weighted trebles or use that grappling hook to maybe grab hold of it.

K-15
07-27-2013, 07:02 PM
I got a buddy who could find that thing in 2 cast!...swear to budha, if there is anything within 100 yds., he will snag into it,..:wink: Mike

salmonid
07-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Not sure where your gear was lost at, but if you'd like I have a grappling (snag) anchor that you can borrow. I've used it to drag sunken drift boat parts out of the river. You can see where I'm located to the left!

Good luck and sorry for your (so far) loss,

wkokaneeman
07-28-2013, 06:01 AM
To All;

Any help is welcomed, and appreciated! I will be back up to the lake looking for it next Sunday or Monday. If you want to help when I go, please call me, and lets make some arrangements. 408 838 3165, anytime. I'm home today & tomorrow. Thanks!

K-15
07-28-2013, 08:22 AM
To All;

Any help is welcomed, and appreciated! I will be back up to the lake looking for it next Sunday or Monday. If you want to help when I go, please call me, and lets make some arrangements. 408 838 3165, anytime. I'm home today & tomorrow. Thanks!
Might help if you name the lake,...give guys a idea of how much travel time. Mike

wkokaneeman
07-28-2013, 10:30 AM
New Melones

Trout Tracker
07-31-2013, 04:45 AM
I would like to know how all this turns out.
Keep us updated if you would.
TT

wkokaneeman
08-10-2013, 06:46 AM
I would like to know how all this turns out.
Keep us updated if you would.
TT

Went back out this last Sunday, and tried for an hour and a half, with no luck. i guess i'm still looking for someone to take a swim, that is experienced. so, if your out there, let me know. i'll have to wait a bit, because i just dumped a boat load of money in my car to get it going again, and won't know if it's fixed until next Friday. just hasn't been my month! they say that bad things happen in 3's, i've had at least 2 - 3's this month! seems like i'm in a rut, and can'y climb out! really sucks!