PDA

View Full Version : Dog day's of Summer

Line Stretcher
07-28-2013, 12:26 PM
In case you haven't noticed, the Dog Day's of Summer are upon us.

Just look at the fishing reports and you can put two and two together and know that it's once again that time of year. The bigger fish have gone deep or have moved on trying to find somewhere comfortable.

When this happens, your best chance to get bit will be the first hour before sunrise fishing in the thermocline or close to the surface or the last hour before sunset fishing it the same as the early bite.

In lakes, once the sun hits the water the bigger fish will go deep and just disappear. You can still drag deep but all you'll get usually are the small fish that still have a lot of energy and will chase food.

There is no guarantee that anything will work but your best odds of getting a bigger fish to bite are going to be while still fishing. Free lining with a night crawler can work sometimes and so can dark colored grubs and flies.

So why don't the big fish bite when they're deep? Simple, it's from lack of oxygen. They are oxygen deprived and lack the energy to chase food. When they do come up it will be to the oxygen rich thermocline where they will recharge their oxygen supplies and maybe take a few runs at food if its in their face. The water is really too warm for them and they're uncomfortable there so they only stay long enough to get what they need and get back down.

Forget the standing on the deck with your arms stretched out in the 9:30 position to read the sun. The minute the sun changes the surface temp just a small amount, the fish will go back down.

The best day's to fish will be foggy ones because the fish will stay up longer but they still don't care for that warm water so it will only prolong the bite a little. Experience has been that the bite may last 1/2 hour longer but that's about it.

So now you know why all the lack luster fishing reports lately. Don't let it discourage you, September is just around the corner and the deep northern CA lakes will still produce well if they're fed with cold water.

Any lake reporting a surface temp of 70 plus will have a difficult bite unless it has an oxygen rich cold water inflow. I'd tell you to try to find areas with underground springs but due to the drought, those are going to be few and far between.

Good luck out there. You might look at this as an opportunity to learn to catch fish in these conditions, I certainly am.

Trout Tracker
07-29-2013, 05:02 AM
I agree with you on the Dogs days of summer
and fishing.
I haven't had the boat out since mid
May,last fishing trip was at Collins.
I just don't seem to be able to handle
the heat like i did when i was
younger.I know that being 56 isn't old as
dirt but the heat just takes it out
of me.
Plus i don't have riggers and use lead core.
I just can't see sitting in a boat all day
during the hot summer months hopeing
that i'll get into fish.
But like you said.
The cooler weather is coming and
it will be that time again to be putting
some fish in the boat.
TT

outdoordude
07-29-2013, 05:38 AM
Yes it's time to start scouting for the upcoming deer season, and waiting for the salmon run to pick up on the sac.

Line Stretcher
07-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Or, learn to fish it. I was out on Sonoma this morning at 5:10am and go into the fish that came up for oxygen. Lots of fun but it was over at 7:00am. The Bass kept going until about 8:30 and then they shut down too. They're are there, you just have to get up really early to get them and your fishing day is a short one.

I'm headed back out again on Wednesday.

Line Stretcher
08-03-2013, 07:45 PM
O.K. so you all saw the results of CC and JS's fishing trip during the dog days. That's a perfect example of where you should be fishing if you can. For me, I'm sort of stuck where I am because face it, when the fishing is tough, people call me.

You may wonder how I managed to get NGT those two nice Steehead on a one fish day in the middle of the dog day's. It's a secret.. No, not really, in fact it's a really old technique.

I was running Owner Captiva SP's that are very similar to the Rapala X-Rap's. In fact I couldn't find any Owners today so I got X-Raps instead.

The lake fishing method is an old one but a goodie. Throw the lure out about 100' behind the boat so it's far enough behind the boat to go slack almost when you turn. One side will go slack and the other will speed up. Run at about 1.5mph max and make lots of turns. Occasionally goose the kicker and speed up then throw it in neutral and wait until your almost stopped and then put it back in gear and repeat. Do this as often as possible.

This method is used to cause reaction strikes. The lure covers a lot of different depths and if there is a fish nearby that see's it the odds are pretty good that they'll investigate it. That investigation will usually happen when it's falling and fluttering and the strike occurs when the fish thinks dinner is getting away.

You don't need to by the expensive x-raps, you can use anything that will sink at about a foot a second. A bare night crawler with a flasher in front of it sometimes works if you can keep the fish from hitting the flasher. Shorten the leader if that starts happening.

I use the owners and raps because the #1 meat food in the lake I fish is silver sided shad.

Go ahead, try it the next time your out before the lakes turn. You might be surprised.

IronClad
08-03-2013, 07:52 PM
I know not of this "dog days of summer" thing.. Thursday bass fishing with Katfish on lake oroville we had roughly a 130 fish day from around 7:30ish am till 7 pm with no real break in the action.. water temp was hovering between 79-84 deg, sounds like it just sucks there :P

Line Stretcher
08-03-2013, 07:57 PM
I know not of this "dog days of summer" thing.. Thursday bass fishing with Katfish on lake oroville we had roughly a 130 fish day from around 7:30ish am till 7 pm with no real break in the action.. water temp was hovering between 79-84 deg, sounds like it just sucks there :P

The dog days' affect Trout and Salmon fishing mostly. I can catch all the bass I want right now but I'm not targeting them.

IronClad
08-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Guess oroville is the exception since they are still catching the crap outta the coho. It got even better if anything with catching much bigger fish now that its summer time

Line Stretcher
08-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Guess oroville is the exception since they are still catching the crap outta the coho. It got even better if anything with catching much bigger fish now that its summer time

O.K. I'm wrong and you're right. Happy?

IronClad
08-04-2013, 08:33 AM
No need to get huffy. I just think its bs. Right now is some of the best time to go fishing in northern california and large numbers of quality fish are being produced.

sent from my boat out on the water

Line Stretcher
08-04-2013, 10:10 AM
No need to get huffy. I just think its bs. Right now is some of the best time to go fishing in northern california and large numbers of quality fish are being produced.

I get huffy when people call my well researched and on the water tested info BS and provide no evidence to back up their claims.

What does that mean? Are you trying to prove that your not sitting in your basement in your underwear.

Personally, I'm sitting in my workshop getting stuff ready for Monday's and Wednesday's clients.

IronClad
08-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Its called taptalk and it puts a sig line. So instead of it saying " Sent from my samsung blahblahblahblah model number" it says that.

I was actually waist deep in the feather river salmon fishing. But good job on the basement dweller comment ! I havent heard that one before from people that get told that they could quite possibly be wrong in their findings due to experience from someone else. Next thing im sure you'll say because im only 28 and you're so much more older than me that i couldnt possibly know anywhere near as much as you.

Catching fish all day any day of the week is evidence enough.

Btw when you say this,

"The Bass kept going until about 8:30 and then they shut down too"

Then come back with this

"I can catch all the bass I want right now but I'm not targeting them."

It doesnt really go together. But whatever, Enjoy your dog days =) I'll enjoy catching tons of bass at lake oroville and tons of trout up at bucks lake no matter the day nor the weather. =)

Line Stretcher
08-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Its called taptalk and it puts a sig line. So instead of it saying " Sent from my samsung blahblahblahblah model number" it says that.

I was actually waist deep in the feather river salmon fishing. But good job on the basement dweller comment ! I havent heard that one before from people that get told that they could quite possibly be wrong in their findings due to experience from someone else. Next thing im sure you'll say because im only 28 and you're so much more older than me that i couldnt possibly know anywhere near as much as you.

Catching fish all day any day of the week is evidence enough.

Btw when you say this,

"The Bass kept going until about 8:30 and then they shut down too"

Then come back with this

"I can catch all the bass I want right now but I'm not targeting them."

It doesnt really go together. But whatever, Enjoy your dog days =) I'll enjoy catching tons of bass at lake oroville and tons of trout up at bucks lake no matter the day nor the weather. =)

O.K. youngster, you just keep on thinking you know it all. I was the same way at your age. No one my age could possibly be smart. Maybe we're not smarter but we have one thing in our favor that you don't. It's called experience and that my friend only comes with time.

Someday the light bulb will come on and when it does, you'll reflect back and say to yourself, I'll be darned.

IronClad
08-04-2013, 10:43 AM
And there it is ! I sure knew it was coming, So predictable lol.

Now where have i said that i know it all ? I know i sure didn't because i know i dont know everything. But thanks there for putting words in my mouth, You sure are reaching aren't you. Never said you weren't smart or didnt know what you were talking about now did i ?

But yes i must not know anything at all.. All those fish I've been catching during these "Dog days of summer" must have been imaginary because i couldn't possibly catch much of anything right now.

The good ole " Experience only comes with time" Sure thats total truth there, But time does not equal age. I can spend 250 days on the water a year and gain more knowledge and experience than someone that spends 40 days on the water a year that is much older than me.

seeinred
08-04-2013, 11:06 AM
uh frog legs anyone?

yeah we all have had hit or miss luck...we are all grown a$$ men and the last thing we need is to tear at each others throats because of technique differences....

fishing is streaky....regardless of experience or location. fish bite one day and one day they wont.

we as humans think we're smart and develop technique...when 90% of fishing is luck. so no need to kill each other because we fish differently and therefore will have different results.

have a beer boys. its sunday.

IronClad
08-04-2013, 11:28 AM
No frog legs for me ! But im cool as a cucumber so no worries :)

Line Stretcher
08-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Have no fear, it's just a lively discussion. No one's at anybody's throat. If it were in person it would be as casual as sitting around a campfire telling fish stories. These computers can't translate facial expressions. I was smiling and laughing most of time. I expect IronClad was too.

IronClad
08-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Pretty much ! I was out doing layout on a piece of plate for a neighbors HAM antenna and it was hard to draw straight lines even with a straight edge.