PDA

View Full Version : Mooching rig setup?

Skipjacker707
07-30-2013, 01:15 PM
So pretty basic question here? How do you set up a mooching rig? Length of leader, weight, hook size? Any help please

GNappers
07-30-2013, 02:41 PM
Only mooched a few times. Barbless circle hook. We used a light setup like trout poles with ten pound test. Fun fight. You can use bigger set ups. We used sliding sinker rigs with 1 ounce banana weights. Bring heavier weights for a faster drift. 4-5 foot fluorocarbon leader of 20 pounds or more. Hook through head so shank point's back at dead anchovy with a couple of half hitches. Live chovy through lips which I would use 3-way swivel style. Find a bait ball and try and stay on top of it. Try putting your bait at different depths above below or in the ball of bait. Outside of Bodega I hear their is no mooching in certain areas do to the rock cod closure. Don't set hook let the fish take it and reel down and slowly lift.

Skipjacker707
07-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Cool, but I still can't picture how to hook and bait the anchovie? Need pictures or a video. Lol..

Seon
07-31-2013, 05:38 AM
Cool, but I still can't picture how to hook and bait the anchovie? Need pictures or a video. Lol..

I just googled "Mooching for Salmon Setup" and got a great video here: Mooching for Salmon - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKYjnaHTP28) . Although the location is up north, it's still applicable here. Best of luck to you.

Skipjacker707
07-31-2013, 07:41 AM
Good video seon but I recall people using whole anchovies while mooching up here? I didn't think they used cut bait? I also don't remember reeling in like that, I remember dropping down my bait putting the rod in a rod holder and waiting for the rod to load.. It's been 15 years since I have done it so maybe I should jump on a party boat for a quick trip to knock the rust off but I was hoping to get a video from someone here in the bay! Thanks seon!

Skipjacker707
07-31-2013, 09:42 PM
Anyone? Do you thread an anchovie on with half hitches or just use cut bait

saizo
08-01-2013, 02:47 PM
You use a bait threader go thru the gill slot and out his butt. Tie a half hitch on his tail from keeping the bait from getting ripped. Your leader should be at least five ft long. In my opinion the longer the better bites. But with a long leader it's harder to land the fish. Make sure u buy the banana weighs with the swivels. 3-6oz should be good depending on current and wind. The leader should have a live bait loop or some kind of strong loop to clip onto the weight. And of course a 4/0-5/0 barbless circle hook.

Skipjacker707
08-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Thank you saizo. Headin out I the gate on Sunday and appreciate the info!

saizo
08-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Oh crap almost forgot small rubber band on his gill plate to keep them closed.