PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the Avet SX series reels?

namjagerungbengi
08-01-2013, 08:59 PM
It's tough (feels impossible) to find a left handed saltwater conventional reel. Based on some internet searching I found Avet makes some quality reels at decent prices with many left handed options.

Has anyone used their SX or SXJ series reels? I would love to get some insight.

Thanks

bassman408
08-02-2013, 01:17 PM
I use the SX, its a great reel, but if you're not used to non level-wind reels, then I would suggest sticking to a level wind reel. If you are especially looking at this reel for rockfishing, its overkill IMO and you can get away with using an abu garcia c3 or c4 reel.

namjagerungbengi
08-02-2013, 07:27 PM
I use the SX, its a great reel, but if you're not used to non level-wind reels, then I would suggest sticking to a level wind reel. If you are especially looking at this reel for rockfishing, its overkill IMO and you can get away with using an abu garcia c3 or c4 reel.

I have to C3 6501 already... but I just can't stop buying gear. I've never used a non-level wind reel, but I was actually interested in the SXJ model, which is the narrow version and I've heard is easier to lay the line on it.

Which SX model do you have?

FishnBeer
08-03-2013, 06:50 AM
i have a lefty SX MC. love it. got it as a sturgeon reel but it can do just about anything in the saltwater up here. not having a levelwind has not been an issue for me. the spool is fairly narrow for what it is

bassman408
08-05-2013, 09:19 AM
I have to C3 6501 already... but I just can't stop buying gear. I've never used a non-level wind reel, but I was actually interested in the SXJ model, which is the narrow version and I've heard is easier to lay the line on it.

Which SX model do you have?

I have the SX and SX MC. I have been using the SX lately, haven't had the chance to try using the SX MC yet. I might actually be selling it, its brand new in the box, spooled with 50lb braid if anyone is interested. :smiley:

As for the line, its not a big deal laying the line on the spool during the retrieve as Fishnbeer mentioned. The SX spool isn't very wide.

namjagerungbengi
08-05-2013, 09:23 AM
I have the SX and SX MC. I have been using the SX lately, haven't had the chance to try using the SX MC yet. I might actually be selling it, its brand new in the box, spooled with 50lb braid if anyone is interested. :smiley:

As for the line, its not a big deal laying the line on the spool during the retrieve as Fishnbeer mentioned. The SX spool isn't very wide.

Very interesting... why sell the MC and not the other? You only do jigging/trolling?

You use right hand retrieve?

SF21
08-05-2013, 09:26 AM
I just had a Avet SX for sale ,but decided to keep it. Its an awesome reel. I just couldnt cast for crap with it so I magged it. Now its awesome x 10!

For jigging/lure I would 100% go with a level wind.

bassman408
08-05-2013, 11:28 AM
I bought the SX MC thinking I would be doing some casting with it, but I have yet to do that from a kayak. I don't see myself using it anytime soon so thats why I'm probably going to sell it. Its a lefty btw.

SF21
08-05-2013, 12:10 PM
I bought the SX MC thinking I would be doing some casting with it, but I have yet to do that from a kayak. I don't see myself using it anytime soon so thats why I'm probably going to sell it. Its a lefty btw.

What are you using from the yak? Just because it is an MC doesn't mean you HAVE to cast it, lol

bassman408
08-05-2013, 03:34 PM
What are you using from the yak? Just because it is an MC doesn't mean you HAVE to cast it, lol

I use the SX on my salmon trolling setup. I know the MC version doesn't have to be casted, but since I'm not casting it to take advantage of its MC feature, nor have I even taken it out of its box...haha, I figure might as well let it go. The SX model works fine for my purposes.

namjagerungbengi
08-05-2013, 04:30 PM
I use the SX on my salmon trolling setup. I know the MC version doesn't have to be casted, but since I'm not casting it to take advantage of its MC feature, nor have I even taken it out of its box...haha, I figure might as well let it go. The SX model works fine for my purposes.

What color you got? *edit* I forgot all lefty's come in silver unless special ordered

Hamachi_Kama
08-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Avet reels are the best value out there, IMO.

You should learn to use your thumb when fish on to act as the "levelwind." Moreover, when retrieving, use your thumb and index finger to wind on level. Failure to do so can lead to serious line retrieval issues if you get bunched up on one side or the other. I've seen plenty of people lose fish when failing to manually spread the line evenly across the spool....

Magging them helps, I guess. I prefer the ultra-free spool in that I use them mostly for fly-lining live baits, where that ultra free spool is a benefit. Educated thumbs are more reliable, imo.

namjagerungbengi
08-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Avet reels are the best value out there, IMO.

You should learn to use your thumb when fish on to act as the "levelwind." Moreover, when retrieving, use your thumb and index finger to wind on level. Failure to do so can lead to serious line retrieval issues if you get bunched up on one side or the other. I've seen plenty of people lose fish when failing to manually spread the line evenly across the spool....

Magging them helps, I guess. I prefer the ultra-free spool in that I use them mostly for fly-lining live baits, where that ultra free spool is a benefit. Educated thumbs are more reliable, imo.

I can understand how you would need to use your thumb... but how do you use your index finger? Is it difficult to use a non-level wind? Easier on an Avet SX?

Whats the main benefit for a non-level wind vs. a level wind other than corrosion/failure problems due to extra parts?

SF21
08-05-2013, 08:22 PM
You put the line between your fingers and move them back and forth as you reel.
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx338/akamurk/E2CE2E51-4EAC-4187-B1AA-62EBC7EC57CF-28934-00000834AD8BF246_zps0abb033a.jpg

A non level wind can cast further since it doesn't rely on worm gears that can cause friction and slow down your cast, unless its a disengaging level wind which is disengaged for the cast. This can also become a problem if the line enters the spool at a sharp angle and you are fighting large fish.

A level wind can also just flat out fail on large fish. Like big tuna.

Other reasons are leader knots, and surf casting which involves holding the spool with your thumb where the level wind would get in the way.

namjagerungbengi
08-05-2013, 08:48 PM
That makes sense... but seems awkward? How do you hold the rod and maintain leverage when keeping your fingers on the line like that? When/where does the thumb come into play? I just assumed you would use your thumb, apply pressure, and push the line side to side when reeling in.

Appreciate the response

SF21
08-05-2013, 09:02 PM
That makes sense... but seems awkward? How do you hold the rod and maintain leverage when keeping your fingers on the line like that? When/where does the thumb come into play? I just assumed you would use your thumb, apply pressure, and push the line side to side when reeling in.

Appreciate the response

just stick the rod butt in your hip and support it with your left hand, reel with the right. You can do it with just your thumb like you mention, or you can even just spin the rod back and forth and let gravity do it.

namjagerungbengi
08-05-2013, 09:27 PM
just stick the rod butt in your hip and support it with your left hand, reel with the right. You can do it with just your thumb like you mention, or you can even just spin the rod back and forth and let gravity do it.

Cool thanks, very helpful

Is that picture of your Avet SX? Do you think the Avet SXJ (narrow spool) is worth it or better value to get the SX?

SF21
08-06-2013, 05:19 AM
It depends on what you want to use it for. The j is much narrower, which would be easier to cast all day or jig.

Afishinado
09-09-2013, 09:48 PM
namjagerungbengi i use avet sx reels. The sx can be used from anything like striper salmon sturgeon and yes rockfish. Dont worry about it not having a levewind, once you use one levelwinding it with your hand becomes 2nd nature. I have cought well over 300 leopards and 7 gill sharks with mine,no problems. Call charkbait tackle they have a good selection of left handed Avet reels. And one other thing, Its made in the USA

ghostfish_slayer
09-10-2013, 08:01 AM
It's tough (feels impossible) to find a left handed saltwater conventional reel. Based on some internet searching I found Avet makes some quality reels at decent prices with many left handed options.

Has anyone used their SX or SXJ series reels? I would love to get some insight.

Thanks

have 3-4 sx lefty and a mxl lefty... they are good reels for the money... i have landed some very large fish on my sx's... fish up to and over 60 lbs. they hold enough 20 lb test for most fish i have fished for and even more 50 lb braid... we have all versions from old to new... the newer versions are a little more smooth,, a little more going on inside them if you want to service them yourself.. the older ones are much more simple inside... one thing i like about the older versions is the louder/stronger clicker.. the thing i dislike about all them is the lever drag if the reel is set down make sure to tighten down the lever... so many times go to pick up the reel the lever gets bumped and the thing free spools into a big knot just picking it up... if you are a good caster you can cast them if not you can do the static mag or get the mc version... their spools are super fast and the weight of the spool the line fly's off them... the mag tames them... i used to cast my first one from the surf before and after i static magged it...

JB14
09-10-2013, 08:39 AM
I just bought a couple MXJ's for live bait tuna and sturgeon this year. Also got a couple JX's for tuna trolling. Can't wait to get them on the water.

408fisherman
09-11-2013, 09:12 PM
I have the MXJ lefty and love that reel. It's my San Diego reel. I use that for yellowfin, yellowtail and bluefin and it holds up well. Best reel for the money IMO.