PDA

View Full Version : Need fish ID

redneckpunk
08-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Can anyone tell from the pic what this is? Ton of them schooling around in front if our dock this morning on the Delta and finally was able to get a sacraficial lamb. They attack worms like a shark feeding frenzie but mouths are so small even the hooks we use for bluegill were too big. Im thinking either shiner minnows or delta smelt. Real silver except for dark line down the back

~RNP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHM
08-04-2013, 10:20 AM
That would be hitch, attached a link to confirm. http://calfish.ucdavis.edu/species/?uid=38&ds=241

SHM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

redneckpunk
08-04-2013, 10:32 AM
That would be hitch, attached a link to confirm. http://calfish.ucdavis.edu/species/?uid=38&ds=241

SHM

I believe that would be the one. Never seen them, and been on this part of the D for 40+ years. Guess I can add that to my "species caught" list. Im guessing theyd make great striper bait

~RNP

SHM
08-04-2013, 11:00 AM
They sure do, I have caught them before and planned on using for stripers, but never got around to using them. Perhaps someone on here has some experience with using them for bait. And literally they attack anything on the hook.

SHM

BIG_ONE
08-04-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm almost positive that is not a hitch. It's some type of shiners...if I remember correctly, hitch does not have yellow fins(only clear/gray/black if I'm not mistaken). And if you pay attention carefully to details, hitch have a really deep fork where a shiner would have a much rounder fork like the one in the picture. I'm going to call it a Golden Shiner for now...

redneckpunk
08-04-2013, 02:07 PM
I'm almost positive that is not a hitch. It's some type of shiners...if I remember correctly, hitch does not have yellow fins(only clear/gray/black if I'm not mistaken). And if you pay attention carefully to details, hitch have a really deep fork where a shiner would have a much rounder fork like the one in the picture. I'm going to call it a Golden Shiner for now...

And Im just going to call it a fish landed, with a pic as proof. LOL! With as slow as today has been out here I'll take anything. Heck, after no bass action this morning I grabbed sportygirl's UL uglyStik with push button reel and a bobber just for some gill action to get the skunk off. Still trying to get first one on my brand new abu baitcaster. Had one blowup on KVD frog but reacted too quick and didnt wait for it to load up b4 setting hook. DUH!

~RNP

AnglingWes
08-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Way to go RNP, you caught some bait that's too damn big to be used as bait.

redneckpunk
08-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Way to go RNP, you caught some bait that's too damn big to be used as bait.

Wait til u see sportygirls LM pic I just took. Again its a fish...i think

~RNP