PDA

View Full Version : First Time Dove Hunter Here....

dsa2780
08-05-2013, 02:31 PM
So I'm totally new to hunting. After reading and seeing how great wild dove hunting and cooking can be, I've decided to go after them this coming season. I'm totally new to this and would like some guidance or assistance. A few questions are....

I'm purchasing a CA hunting license along with the Upland Game tags, correct?

I need to take a hunter's safety course, correct?

I can use a 1200 FPS pellet small game and pest rifle, correct?

I live in a relatively rural farming community so the doves are safe to eat, correct?

And finally, what pellets are the best for hunting doves with?

Again, sorry for all the questions, I just figured you guys are usually a lot of help with fishing stuff, so why not with hunting too? Thanks for any replies.

GUSANO
08-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Hunters Ed Course first. Then License plus Upland game tag. Familiarize yourself with the regs. Some species of dove can be taken with pellet gun while others can only be taken with shotgun (dfg link below: Authorized methods for taking resident small game, Chinese spotted dove, Eurasian collared dove and ringed turtle doves ok for hunting with pellet gun. Mourning dove and white winged dove shotgun only). Again pellet is fine for the right species. No hunting within city limits, there are plenty of wild life areas around the valley and north bay to target them.
If in the condor zone while hunting with a shotgun (upland game hunting) you will now need steel shot (non-lead), this was recently implemented for upland game hunting. But pellet rifle shooting lead pellets are still fine since a pellet gun is not considered a firearm (again only for resident small game). Migratory game birds can not be taken by pellet rifle, shotgun only.

Here are some helpful links for rules and hunting areas:

Hunting and Fishing Regulations (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/)

U.S. Bureau of Land Management in California - America's Great Outdoors (http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en.html)

US Forest Service - Caring for the land and serving people. (http://www.fs.fed.us/)

Doves love to eat seeds and grain and some small insects so they are good eatin! My experience with hunting with pellet, any field point (arrow point) with a strong enough power will go right through sometimes allowing the bird to fly off. Hollow points or wad cutter (flat head) smacks'em and drops-em dead. Accuracy can be affected by the flatters surfaces from the pellet. practice on some ground squireels with pellets to see and feel what you like to shoot.
HAVE FUN!
~

calamari
08-26-2013, 06:31 AM
When you purchase the license be sure and ask for the HIP endorsement on your license. It's free and is a survey of game you killed in the previous year but without it you can not legally hunt doves. The license agent may not be familiar with it and unless you ask for it they may not put it on.
By the way I wouldn't brag to other hunters about shooting doves on the ground with a pellet gun.

hooks
08-29-2013, 09:14 PM
When you purchase the license be sure and ask for the HIP endorsement on your license. It's free and is a survey of game you killed in the previous year but without it you can not legally hunt doves. The license agent may not be familiar with it and unless you ask for it they may not put it on.
By the way I wouldn't brag to other hunters about shooting doves on the ground with a pellet gun.

WOW!! I forgot all about that HIP survey. I just got it on line. You saved me from getting a ticket maybe!! Thanks.

bretmoua
08-30-2013, 08:39 AM
Grab a shotgun and some shells to go along with it. It'll be a lot more fun to shoot. You'll be more versatile with a shotgun as you can hunt quails, turkeys and most, if not all, small games with it.

BigUnInDaBoat
08-31-2013, 06:46 PM
I used to shooot doves with a red ryder when I was a kid, even ate everyone. But the real sport is wing shooting them. So fast, so quiet, such good eating.

Hope I can manage a few tomorrow.